Movie Tab

Tools    

Remember The Titans.........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

A novel adaptation.
Just watched the "Love Conquers All" version of Terry Gilliam's masterpiece, Brazil. Ugh.
It's frightening and inspiring on so many levels.
Frightening because a brilliant film was made into such a terrible piece of crap just because of the editing and pacing. Which is horrifying to any aspiring filmmaker. "Does editing really make that much of a difference?" and "Could I really screw up something amazing that easily?" are two phrases that crossed my mind.
Inspiring, because Terry Gilliam won. That's right, baby. One of the only filmmakers in history to directly oppose and for the most part defeat the studio system so wholeheartedly.
OH YEAH! Rock on! Keep on keeping on Gilliam!

Anyways, I feel bad because I haven't kept up with any of the many MoFo tabs. I've seen maybe 30 or 40 films (God Bless the TCM) since I last posted here.
I've resolved to stay fresh in this thread though, and here's to that.
*Drinks from proverbial glass of proverbs*

The King Of Comedy
"Better to be king for a night than a schmuck for a lifetime."

Taxi Driver
"I used to have a pony, on Coney Island. It got hit by a truck."

Il Conformista
"I want to confess today the sin I'll commit tomorrow. One sin atones for another."

Novecento
"The boss is alive."

Woah. I watched the 318 minute Italian version, and while I didn't feel the length, I'm totally speechless. I loved the movie, and I loved the visual elements of it, but I don't really know what to think, you know? I mean, it is a great movie, but it is extremely flawed. Firstly, I think that Bertolucci lets his politics get in the way too much in the final hour, when it really should have been about making a link between the opening and closing sequences.

The major problem for me though was the casting of the children. The kid that played the child Alfredo looked and acted more like the adult version of Olmo [Gerard Depardieu], and the kid playing Olmo looked like, and acted like the adult version of Alfredo [Robert De Niro]. It was just off putting when the transition between the beginning of the film at 1918 finally came, and Alfredo, who had been prim and proper and compassionate in the first section, grew up to act like a toyboy, and Olmo, who had acted like a jerk, grew up to be compassionate and such. Just an example of some pretty bad character development there, I thought.

The performances [and cinematography and score too, actually] were all outstanding. Having watched Il Conformista earlier in the day, it was interesting to note how much I liked Dominique Sanda in both films. Very, very good actress.

Put me in your pocket...
The Red Violin
Like Water for Chocolate
The Princess Bride
(again)

Shanghai Knights - C+

Not as good as the first one and trying too hard with the "English" references, we've seen them all before.

Johnny English - B

Quite funny, noone pulls off slapstick-style falls and silly faces like Rowan Atkinson and Ben Miller is great as Bough. Malkovich's deliberately bad accent is good too.

Your benefactor is throwing you some good stuff there, SB.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Isn't he just? I've finished off the first fifteen odd hours in a little under two and a half days. I'm picking up some more tomorrow. As I said before, I think we're moving onto Fritz Lang, Jean-Pierre Melville, and someone else.

I have heard from so many sources [critics and plain ol' viewers alike] that Anger Management stinks to high heaven.