Spirited Away

→ in
Tools    

What did you think of "Spirited Away"?

I think it was outstanding! Amazing! The color was beutiful. And it was heartwarming and exciting! It is the greatest animated movie of 2002!

Rating: 9/10

Im jealous that you've seen it, its the only Miyazaki feature I havent seen. Im still waiting for my R1 DVD to arrive (Its not out yet) and I dont think it will ever get a UK release, bloody Disney.

And they have the cheek to expose us to rubbish like the Jungle Book 2 whilst ignoring the genius that is Hiyao Miyazaki.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Highly entertaining, imaginitive, funny, and stirring. If it can move Kong you know it's good stuff.

Movie Explorer
I have this movie and it's about time. It's entertaining and well plotted. It's fun for all the fantasy anime fans out there. The animation is really great too and the ending will leave you wondering with two questions.

Put me in your pocket...
I just saw it and absolutely loved it. A very heart warming and endearing story. My daughter loved it also.

Put me in your pocket...
Just wanted to bump this thread back to the top of the list....it deserves it. It's such a wonderful movie, and not just for kids. It's a feel good movie for anyone.

i'll just quote an exerpt from an interview with naoki yamamoto [writer/artist: dance till tomorrow, fancy, thank you, among many other great manga] that appeared in pulp, last spring/summer. it pretty much sums up my reaction.

p: seen any movies recently?

ny: sen to chihiro no kamikakushi [spirited away]. director hayao miyazaki is like a god to me. sen to chihiro is really twisted and fun. with princess mononoke miyazaki said that he just cant simply do "good versus evil" type of morality stories. with sen to chihiro he just keeps putting out these really twisted images. he doesnt even attempt to have any story development. i was really excited when i saw it and thought, "wow, this old man has finally gone senile!"

-> was anyone else dissapointed by the ending though? somehow miyazaki's resolutions always seem kind of facile to me...

I first saw this film while living in Japan in a small town theatre, when, almost 2 years ago, my Japanese was at a tremendously low level.

Nethertheless, I loved the film and it was easy to follow despite the language barrier.

I think that Mononoke was translated well for the American adult audience, and Totoro was done well for kids.. smart for Disney to pick up distribution rights.

Spirited Away is the perfect medium between the two. Bringing up topics of social and environmental destruction, while keeping the kids occupied.

I've never seen that miracle pulled off until now.

Mr. Suzuki

DVD-Copy-Center.com
http://www.dvd-copy-center.com
Compare DVD Copying Software and SAVE!!

Originally posted by suzuki-san
I first saw this film while living in Japan in a small town theatre, when, almost 2 years ago, my Japanese was at a tremendously low level.
It was released in Japan about 10 months ago.

No, it was actually released in Japan in 2001. I received a Japanese video version in July 2002.

Originally posted by Fox
No, it was actually released in Japan in 2001. I received a Japanese video version in July 2002.
IMDB is confusing Kong. It says 2001 beside the title, but lists the Japanese release date as 7/29/02. http://us.imdb.com/Business?0245429 Kong believed IMDB, but it turns out they were completely wrong. according to Yahoo the release date was 7/20/2001 http://www.upcomingmovies.com/miyazaki2001.html

Kong's bad.

Easily confusing since they probably mix up the release with the Disney release dates? Who knows. Good anime tho.

Yes, it was released in Japan in 2001, if my memory serves me correct. It was in October.

It was definately not released in July of 2002. I think the Japanese video was released then. They were showing it on the beach.

Suzuki

Compare DVD Copying Software and SAVE up to 50%. Why buy? Rent and copy!!

You have been Juged!!!!
Spirited Away was good not as good as people said it was didn't live up to mononoke which stands as one of my fav. movies of all time but it was good

I also liked Monoke better, just because it had more action and the character were more likable. I did not like following Sen around a bath house, I liked A****aka riding his red elk across medeval Japan. That said, i think that Spirited away has the best animation I have ever seen, and i watch a lot of animation.

Saw it on reviews but never saw it I did not want to because those kind of movies I don't watch!
Not a fan of anyway of the tv shows or movies. But I bet it was still good I will take you guys word for it!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Jackie, you are missing out if you assume this is just like every other Japanimation movie or show out there. If you think this is like Dragonballz or Akira, you are mistaken. It is beautifully animated with a magical storyline that sucks you in for a full 125 minutes. It won best animated film from the Natioinal Board of Review and New York Film Critics circle. It also won best picture at the berlin International film festival. (All off the DVD cover)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Joe Popular
Jackie, you are missing out if you assume this is just like every other Japanimation movie or show out there. If you think this is like Dragonballz or Akira, you are mistaken. It is beautifully animated with a magical storyline that sucks you in for a full 125 minutes. It won best animated film from the Natioinal Board of Review and New York Film Critics circle. It also won best picture at the berlin International film festival. (All off the DVD cover)
Have to chime in on defense here. There is a ton of good Anime (not Japanimation, thanks) out there. Of course there is a lot of crap as well, but that is true with anything. Check out Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, Gasaraki, Ninja Scroll, Serial Experiments:Lain, Armitage III, Macross Plus, Noir, the list goes on....

No need to lump every work in a genre together as something bad when there is a slew of good animation/writing in the genre. Also, I am trying to figure out how Dragonball Z and Akira can be lumped together as an example of something, as the only thing they have in common is that they are both considered anime. Akira has some of the best hand drawn animation in the genre, and I struggle to comprehend how this could be missed, when you are assaulted with breathtaking scene after breathtaking scene. A tad confused by the film? Watch it again, this time with the English dub turned off, and really pay attention to whats going on and read the subs, as it all makes sense. Dragonball Z can't hold a candle to this film and I concur that DBZ is not very good. It's on Saturday morning cartoons, that should be enough of a clue to the quality of the anime.

Check out some of the titles listed above, and I think you will find that not all Anime is junk.

_Sedai

Typical Japanese low grade animation and storyline.. It's not good.

Sometimes I think you smoke crack.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."