Kevin Costner movies

Tools    

Yeah...there was a tough role for him being a corpse and all. I never think of him actually being in the film. I'd love a DVD version that includes the scenes that he was in just to see how it could have been.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Consider Silverado the one exception to the rule of Costner's terrifying suckiness.

As for DiCaprio - doesn't anyone find it odd that his two better performances had him playing a retarded person (What's Eating Gilbert Grape), and someone insane (Marvin's Room)?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i just saw a COMPLETE AND UTTER diCaprio look alike at Chicago's Midway airport, literally yesterday. very freaky. he looked just like him, height, skinniness, paleness, newt face, everything. heheh.

I don't know judgemental I can actually be about Costner, beacause I only saw him in The War for one of my Film Crit classes and it was absolutely hideous. An atrocious piece of cinematic crap.

MovieForums Extra

That could actually have been DiCappucino at the airport you saw...I shudder at the thought

MovieForums Extra
SOME POSSIBLE SPOLERS BELOW, NOT MANY THOUGH

OK, Laurie said Costner's redemption would be his new film 13 Days, so since I just saw the film, it's fitting to write what I thought about it in this thread

Here goes, for those of you who don't know what it's about, the movie deals with the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, with the escalation of tensions between USA and the USSR after the deployment of several medium range nuclear missiles in Cuba.

To tell you the truth, I thought the film was very good. I think the director Roger Donaldson captures the urgency, suspense and chaos that gripped the countriy during those thirteen days, you tend to forget any historical details that you might know and get completely lost in the movie. It is not so much focused on Costner's character (which does play a critical role). The only thing that bugged me was Costner's accent, which was very much like Kennedy's (drawing out the a's, e's, and i's, I don't know if that's the way the real guy spoke or if it's a pathetic attempt).

Other than that, the movie was solid. On my scale it would get a 9.2/10.

It's good to know you liked it. I'm really hoping I can enjoy it and never sit through one of his films again thinking "Why oh why did you make Waterworld."

Geez, I thought the 13 Days movie wasn't too hot. I thought they did a weak job of capturing the gravity of the situation. I like Costner though cause he usually plays regular guy kinda characters. The Untouchables is prolly one of his best movies that nobody mentioned. One of my faves.

MovieForums Extra

Oh yeah, I forgot about that movie! I actually think he wasn't too hot in the Untouchables, he was OK, but nothing exceptional...

Untouchables was good, but I think Revenge and No Way Out were better.

By the way, I think Kevin redeemed himself for me with this movie. LOL. I enjoyed it. It wasn't as intense as JFK, but it was accurate to the storyline.

Didn't see it.
I don't remember Revenge. I did like No Way Out and A Perfect World.

Just saw "Thirteen Days" - man oh man, that was one craptastic accent! He should've just gone without one - no one would really notice, or care for that matter.

MovieForums Extra

Yeah, I know, the accent really got on my nerves in the beginning, but I got used to it halfway through...

Didn't they speak like that in the 60's? I'm sure Kennedy did, not sure about his advisers!

whoa whoa whoa i think everyone is totally wrong with kevin costner films...yeah i know he isn't arnold or depp, or de niro for that matter but he isn't the worse damn actor out there..i mean yeah he has made some mistakes but every actor does sooner or later...i feel he doesn't do that bad in lots of his films...i mean my fav. role of his was in A Perfect World...and he did a good job as a laid back kinda robin hood...there are more things to look at which are worse than Kevin Costner, believe me

The Adventure Starts Here!
Zeph, it wasn't that they talked like that in the '60s -- that's a New England accent that the Kennedys have! LOL!

And I'd wager that many of Kennedy's advisers had the same accent if he knew them from his Massachusetts days.

But yech, Costner's accent did stink in "13 Days." Ironically, the JFK character hardly feigned an accent at all, and I wondered all the way through why Costner bothered to overdo it compared to JFK! The Bobby Kennedy character did a much more accurate accent, which only made Costner's stand out more.

James, I did laugh at your Big Chill comment but didn't see this thread till just today. The opening of that movie is so dang clever. (It's one of those movies I can watch every time it's on.) The rest of the cast of the Big Chill was SO great that if they had let Costner say a single line, it would have diminished the movie in comparison.

MovieForums Extra

Well even if it was a New England accent, I'm sure it wasn't that bad! But his performance (if you neglect the accent) wasn't all that bad really, I thought it fitted in quite nicely into the whole thing!

Anyone who has seen A Perfect World has to rate Kevin Costner as a believable and very solid performer. That film was his best work.

You guys comments on his poor accent in 13 days is interesting. I always felt that one of the weaker elements of Costner's is his handling of dialects. Robin Hood was a mixed bag of accents and this was what the critics focused on. Even, JFK was a victim to Costner's poor attempt at a Southern drawl. Other than his accentual weaknesses, I see very little in Costner that deserves such frank disparagement by the general public. A lot of people really hate the guy. Why?

MovieForums Extra
You hit the nail on the head bigval! That's exactly what I was wondering, his performances might not be brilliant, but they certainly aren't third rate either (appart from the accents)...It's just one of those things I don't understand!

i love "for love of the game". i have not seen many
movies but i dont hate him. he does not bother me.