Tools    

The Grinch and Santa Clause

Christmas with the Kranks....

.....doesn't know what to put here!
jingle all the way
any of the home alone films

Movie Forums Critic
The Nightmare Before Christmas

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...

and A Christmas Story...

Third place isn't even close (IMHO).

http://truemoviereview.com/top-10s/t...is-summer-2008

Brutally honest movie reviews
yeah this is easy...... a christmas story hands down.

A Christmas Story.

I did a search, and, some REALLY old threads came up that I didn't want to bump, soooo.

What are some of your favorite christmas movies? Worst christmas movies you've seen?

My favorites:
A Christmas Carol
Scrooged
Miracle On 34th Street

Bumping old threads is prefered here, DS. That said...

Not something I like, but a big favourite over here every Christmas since it was made...

Probably not really what you were looking for, but...

My annual faves:

10. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
What happens when the Martians start to get nasty during this time of year?
They end up getting a nice big ol' can of whoop-ass for Christmas from none other than Santa hisself.

9. Elf
Santa's largest little helper journeys out to the big city to discover that as an elf in the North Pole, he might be big, but out in the real world, he's still got alot of growing up to do.
A hell of alot.

8. Christmas Vacation
The adventures the Griswolds continues during this time of gift-giving, & their family luck reveals that no matter what season it is, it's always gonna be bad.
Yuletide holiday merriment & cheer from back during a period when Chevy Chase was actually cool & actually funny.

7. Die Hard 2: Die Harder
It's the holiday season, & for John McClane that means that it's time for him to become a pain in the collectives asses of a group of sophisticated terrorists, to a police force of typical movie bumblers, not to mention to that one guy who played the dad on Good Times.
Bruce Willis reprises the role of the lone wolf "modern cowboy" cop who always manages to find himself crawling through air-vents, systematically taking out bad guys one by one, and escaping one clutch after another of death-defying situations that, for some reason he can't grasp, seem always to only happen to him.
IMO, it's always a real joy to write about this movie &/or it's predecessor because it always gives me the chance to repeatedly use the phrase "Yippy-ky-yay, mother-f#cker".
And let's face it, that's always alot of holiday fun.

6. Die Hard
The way I decided that this film (& it's sequel) belonged on my list of personal fave Christmas movies was to ask the following question,
"Does watching a movie about a tough, average joe cop crawling around thu air-vents & systematically offing terrorists in various ways that include hanging 'em on a chain or throwing 'em out a window, inspire the holiday spirit within me? "
The answer:
"Yippy-kay-yay, mother-f#cker!"

5. A Christmas Carol
While most families grew up watching It's A Wonderful Life as a yearly favorite every holiday season,
for me, I was raised in a household that instead always watched the original full-length feature film adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic tale of Ebenzer Scrooge. An old rich, greedy curmudgeon of a man who learns the value of giving after being visited upon in his "dreams" by three (past, present & future) incarnations of the spirit of Christmas.
Obviously, this is a story that has since had numerous varied versions produced under various titles, but IMO, as one of the first cinematic adaptations, this one's black & white setting has a way of enhancing the story in a manner that comes off much more timeless than in all the other counterparts which followed later.
This quality, combined with the fact that this is a personal childhood favorite of mine, makes the 1938 A Christmas Carol the one that, for me, will most likely always be the best of the bunch.
And I don't need no stinkin' 3-D stop-mo animation.

4. Nobody's Fool
For me, this is somewhat of an underrated Newman classic.
Led by his seasoned acting abilities, the late, great thespian stars along with Jessica Tandy, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffin & Phillip Seymour Hoffman, all making up a great ensemble of actors & portraying a great cast of characters. Each one playing a role that is a piece of an over-all story puzzle that, despite their sharp edges, all still fit in perfectly.

3.The Nightmare Before Christmas

I grew up at a time when animated features shown during prime-time were not the norm.
Therefore, holiday specials like It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown & Santa Claus Is Coming Town were usually an event, not only in that they were a rare moment to watch a cartoon at night, but also because they enhanced the feeling of the holidays. Of which, my faves were, obviously, Halloween & Christmas (free candy & free presents!).
I remember that when Nightmare Before Christmas first came out, I initially liked it. But, now, I find that this Burton-produced feature seems to age really well for me. As each holiday season goes by, & I continually find myself liking it even more than before.
Not only because it manages to successfully merge my two fave holidays as a kid, but also, because it's macabre look & atmosphere are the type of traits that I would've died for (pun, not all that much intended) back then.
Not to mention that whenever I listen to tunes like "What's This?" or "This Is Halloween", I am reminded of hearing "Put One Foot In Front Of The Other", or "We're A Couple Of Misfits", songs that, as corny as they are, now with a grown-up's perspective, my hardcore, hairy pimp-ass' has to humbly admit, will always be a part of my childhood holiday memories.

2. A Christmas Story

Lemme tell you guys something, if Santa were to leave an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle/BB gun under my tree this year, even at my current age, I'd still end up beating my chest & proclaiming to the whole world that, for me, it's a wonderful life.
And before anyone says anything,
lemme just say,
"F#ck* my eye. I don't care."

*( ...and when I said that word, I can assure you, it didn't come out as "fudge".)

1. Bad Santa
Best.
Santa.
Movie.
Ever.

And what's a year of Christmas without some good ol' television specials to suppliment one's at-home annual movie viewing ritual:

5. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
As a kid who grew up incredibly poor, there was more than one year whereupon Santa didn't leave me or my siblings any presents.
That fact combined with Santa's bad attitude towards Rudolph in the first half of this special really helps to shed light on what an @$$hole Santa can truly be.
This movie always helps to remind me to keep the holidays real.

4. How The Grinch Stole Christmas
For a long time, I used to think that I was the King of Sinful Sots.
Then I saw this.
And I realized that compared to this guy, I'm just a moldy purple spot
on the dead tomato splot that is his heart.
You're the true rotter,
Mr. Grinch.

3. Star Wars Holiday Special
What does a massive Christmas train-wreck look like? This one-time-on-air special answers that question.
And as horrible as it is, every year, morbid curiosity always prevents me from looking away.

2. Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special
What does a Christmas train wreck look like if the train could talk, sported a subversively gay demeanor, and knew exactly how to walk a slightly twisted tightrope of childhood innocence & just good ol' fashioned grown-up holiday cheer?
When I first saw this "special episode" of Playhouse, I loved it instantly (so much so, I almost married it).
And remembering St. Nick's initial attitude towards Rudolph, I say, "F#ck Santa.
I prefer Pee-Wee."

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
Oh, & just in case I forget to wish any of you MoFo's a proper season's greetings this holiday season, please allow me to do so right now;
"Merry Christmas,
you blockheads".

Anarchist within reason
Scrooged by a long shot!!! Christmas and Bill Murray, what a combination.

"If you TOUCH... ME...AGAIN!!! I'm gonna rip your ****** wings off!!"
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
(Mitchell Leisen, 1940, script: Preston Sturges) - D.A. Fred MacMurray takes shoplifter Barbara Stanwyck home to his old-fashioned family to have an old-school Christmas before she goes to jail after the holidays. Warm, funny and romantic Christmas treat is unfortunately not on DVD, but it's usually on cable TV during December.

and

Two powerful war films set at Christmas which show how soldiers really feel about war if they're actually given the choice.

Old regulars:

Thrillers

Yup I agree Jingle All the Way is the best Christmas movie.

For Christmas movies there is nothing that beats White Christmas (1954) Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby...Love it!

I've seen Meet me in St. Louis mentioned a few times of course I don't really consider it a christmas movie so much, but it does have my favorite christmas carol sung by my favorite artist of all time...so I guess it could qualify.

I really can't stand A Christmas Story......I have 2 younger brothers who insisted on watching it incessantly when we were younger. In fact I think my brother still watches it several times during the holiday season.