no golden globes?

Tools    

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i just saw on www.people.com that there will be no golden globes. just a press conference not an award show. could this be where the oscars are headed if the strike is not over? i hope not.. i love watching all 4 hrs of the oscars every year. even though last year i hated the modern dance presentations. if the strike is not over, it will be just like the ceremonies of long ago. lets hope the writer's strike is over soon to save the oscars and the people get want they want. no need to respond to this thread only if u feel the need to.

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Am I the only one who thinks the writers are being serious jerk offs for ruining the awards shows? I know they want more money and to stick a shiv into the studios side, but they're really ruining it for everyone else too. Those talented and hard working people who earned themselves nominations can't have the decked out night of glamor and praise that they deserve after having most likely spent their entire lives persisting uphill to where they are now. And we, the audience, also get screwed over on the deal. A lot of us look forward to these awards because we have something invested emotionally in the movies, the shows, the actors, the filmmakers, and the writers too(!!!) that are lucky enough to be nominated and we want to see them happy and get the recognition they deserve on they stage they deserve. I didn't really have a stance on the writers' strike because I don't watch tv when it airs (I'm a DVD man) and as far as movies go, I can just go back and catch up on some missed classics with the extra time. No big thang. But you can't delay an awards show for an indefinite amount of time and you certainly can't do them over.

*sigh*

I just think the writers are being a bunch of party poopers now. Them not working is enough. The studios would eventually fold. Poor form on both the two groups' parts.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Am I the only one who thinks the writers are being serious jerk offs for ruining the awards shows? I know they want more money and to stick a shiv into the studios side, but they're really ruining it for everyone else too. Those talented and hard working people who earned themselves nominations can't have the decked out night of glamor and praise that they deserve after having most likely spent their entire lives persisting uphill to where they are now. And we, the audience, also get screwed over on the deal. A lot of us look forward to these awards because we have something invested emotionally in the movies, the shows, the actors, the filmmakers, and the writers too(!!!) that are lucky enough to be nominated and we want to see them happy and get the recognition they deserve on they stage they deserve. I didn't really have a stance on the writers' strike because I don't watch tv when it airs (I'm a DVD man) and as far as movies go, I can just go back and catch up on some missed classics with the extra time. No big thang. But you can't delay an awards show for an indefinite amount of time and you certainly can't do them over.

*sigh*

I just think the writers are being a bunch of party poopers now. Them not working is enough. The studios would eventually fold. Poor form on both the two groups' parts.
Well, the awards will happen, so either way the writer or writers who get the globes, will get them, it just want be televised. It's not like they are sticking it to the man, either way they give the awards, and I am sure they will still make money from advertising. The only people getting screwed is the audience. I am pissed to

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
here i thought it was just me that would be upset, but yet again my fellow mofos have surprised me. i totally agree with imnotgibson about the screenwriters ruining the award shows. i heard a couple days ago that it has cost them more to strike than to be at work. do they even realize this? why did they give jay leno crap for writing his own monologue? i think it kinda shows that talk show hosts can write their own intros... now tv shows thats a whole different side of the fence. we as viewers we know that it takes many people to make our fave shows. yes the writers deserve a bigger paycheck but dont make the audience suffer. because we might have found a reality show to watch while you were outside picketing....ooh the shock and horror!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Gibson - You do realize the actors are boycotting the awards show right? In support of the writers....they are the ones not showing up.

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Gibson - You do realize the actors are boycotting the awards show right? In support of the writers....they are the ones not showing up.
Hey, I live in L.A. and the local news pretty much consists of weather, sports, traffic, and writers' strike and almost every week a reporter catches a star on the street or even in an arranged interview and asks them about the strike. Of course, the star's going to respond (albeit unenthusiastically) they're chill with the writers striking, but them saying that is more out of fear of a backlash than support. Same goes for them boycotting the awards. It's out of fear of aggravating an already messed up situation. Not support.

Yeah, whether or not Jon Stewart or any other host would go on without written material or not, it's the actors and directors who are refusing to cross the picket line, and with no nominees and other high profile celebrities in the audience and on the red carpet, there really isn't a show.

I think it's great that the other Hollywood Guilds are showing their solidarity, begrudgingly or not, the result is the same. Half seasons of the network shows and the canceling of special events like The Academy Awards are great leverage to get a reasonable deal done already. I love watching the Oscars every year, it's my Super Bowl, but I'd much rather the writers and others stick to their principles.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it pretty much shows that without writers, you don't have a movie. Well, at least, it used to show that. Now just pay some Video Game guy or licensee (oops, was he a writers guild member too?), and you got a $150 million "movie". But, then again, where there's a picket line...

Hey, some people I know may be forced to watch OLDE movies.

I won't totally count on it, but I think Hollywood won't cut its own throat and will resolve the situation before the Oscars. This is exactly what the Writers have been waiting for.

I'm pretty sure you're right, mark, about this mess being cleaned up (at least partly) by the time the Oscars roll around. I hope they are. I work on sets as a lowly P.A. and the topic of choice for mealtime conversation is the writer's strike and more than a few people have said the negotiations are supposed to be wrapped up in or before May. I have no idea where they got that from, but I'm as low on the totem pole as you can get. One of my coordinators still thinks my name is Gibson.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Actually, if it's resolved for the Oscars, it almost sounds like a sick, subversive plan by AMPAS to castrate the Hollywood Foreign Press for moving their Awards Show up each year.

You're a Genius all the time
Actually, if it's resolved for the Oscars, it almost sounds like a sick, subversive plan by AMPAS to castrate the Hollywood Foreign Press for moving their Awards Show up each year.
Or for inexplicably changing the amount of Best Picture nominees to 7 (or 12). I hope whatever network showing the Golden Globes loses millions in advertising. I hope this act of ridiculous Hollywood politics will screw them forever. The Golden Globes losing their credibility/legitimacy would not be all that bad. It's had its moments but really, how is it any more important than the MTV movie awards or any other third rate awards show?

I love watching the Oscars every year, it's my Super Bowl, but I'd much rather the writers and others stick to their principles.
So if the Oscars are your Superbowl, what's the Superbowl to you? Is the Superbowl your Oscars?

That's right , The Golden Globes won't happen. There will no ceremony with just a one-hour press conference on NBC News.

And it looks like so far The Oscars might go that route as well, if things still are as they are right now. Which I don't forsee any changes yet.

Originally Posted by jrs
That's right , The Golden Globes won't happen. There will no ceremony with just a one-hour press conference on NBC News.
Heh, I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting the "press conference" to be but it definitely wasn't Access Hollywood.

Oscars > Superbowl (even if the packers make it there)

I really don't care much for Golden Globes because it's a mixture of TV and Film. Also , not to say I've actually seen movies they nominated for most of their awards (Atonement , Eastern Promises , The Kite Runner) - their picks don't interest me either.

Oscars were pretty much dead on accurate for how I felt last year - aside from Children of Men not winning cinemetography.

why was there a strike anyways?

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
why was there a strike anyways?
Seriously? Where have you been?

In a nutshell, the Writers Guild of America (both branches) are in negotiations with the Hollywood producers (Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, or AMPTP). There are a few main issues: DVD residuals, WGA jurisdiction over animation and reality program writers, and the biggie is compensation for "new media", meaning movies and television streamed on the internet, iPhones, etc.

The strike began on November 5, 2007. The production of most entertainment TV programs (save for a few of the daily talk shows which have recently come back on the air) has stopped and because the writers were going to picket the Golden Globes and most of the nominated actors and directors refused to cross the line, the usual televised ceremony had to be scrapped.

If major strides aren't made in the next month or so, the Oscars will be likewise effected. Gil Cates, the producer of the Academy Awards telecast, says the show will go on either way, though if the strike continues he'll do something different than the brief "news conference" format the Globes settled on this weekend.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
If major strides aren't made in the next month or so, the Oscars will be likewise effected. Gil Cates, the producer of the Academy Awards telecast, says the show will go on either way, though if the strike continues he'll do something different than the brief "news conference" format the Globes settled on this weekend.
Woah, I didn't hear about this. A month isn't a very long time. Do you have a link to Gil Cates' full statement or was that all there was to it?

i've seen that from entertainment news. it's because of the writers rally.