Ryan Phillippe

Tools    

cruel intentions is on tv tonight and the anouncer has been saying ryan's name in a weird way

how do you pronounce it??

Phil-LEAP
Philli-PAY
Philli-PEE

silly, i know, but i've heard every way said and i just want to know once and for all - i say it Phil-LEAP

The way Ryan and his family pronounce it is Fill-uh-PEE. Since that's the correct way, that's how I say it too.

Though honestly, it doesn't come up all that often. I know he's still relatively young (twenty-nine), but I haven't thought much of his acting thus far. I find him one-note and completely vacuous on screen without any charisma or charm. Sometimes more than simply vacant, I thought he was downright terrible in The Way of the Gun, Cruel Intentions and AntiTrust. He couldn't even muster up a believeable caraciture of a prep school a-hole in Igby Goes Down. He was just fine in Gosford Park, easily his best work to date, and Altman used him perfectly, casting to Ryan's weaknesses - especially as his accent was meant to be attrocious and he was supposed to be little more than an either-sex toy and a bad actor. He was also solid enough in Ridley Scott's White Squall, but he was only twenty-one there and playing a teenager. I'm depressed that he'll be Picasso in the upcoming movie adaptation of Steve Martin's brilliant play Picasso at the Lapin Agile. I saw it three times on the stage, in New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and Phillippe is just all wrong for the role. Oh, well. Maybe he'll surprise me?

Anywho, it's definitely Fill-uh-PEE, but feel free to pronounce it however in the Hell you'd like.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i agree HP...i find him weak, flat and unanimated (even his voice is monotone!!)

but i must say, he looks great firing a shotgun just like the other flat unanimated blond boy Val Kilmer...boring actor, but his gun toting in Heat was cool (not that i'm implying it makes up for either of their complete lack of screen presence)

Phillippe as Picaso for shame

ps...sorry about the mispelling of ryanE in the name of the thread...i hate mispelling words

he does nothing for me............

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I See You When You're Sleeping
Hey! I like him! I thought he was great in Cruel Intentions!

*minion throws rocks at non likers*

My life isn't written very well.
I love how his last name sounds so ethnic; Fill-uh-PEE. Yet his first name is Ryan!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by miniontv

.........missed me.........

Get off my island
Originally posted by miniontv

yeah, i think he's OK too

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Rock God
His name is pronounced O-ver-RAY-ted.

By the way, I'd update my opinion on Ryan as an actor now. While he's still no great shakes and nowhere close to great, he does seem to be improving as he ages. He was solid in Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers (2006) and very well cast in both Breach (2007) and especially Crash (2005), where I thought he was one of the strongest performers in that ensemble. Can't say as I get excited to hear he's attached to a project, but I no longer fear his involvement.

And I am glad that Picasso at the Lapin Agile didn't go forward at the time. I love the play and hope if it does eventually get adapted for the screen that they cast actors who are right for the parts versus those that are supposedly "hot" or will hopefully reach a certain demographic.

I too find him uncharismatic and wooden. He seems to have the same monotone voice, and hasn't really tackled any daring parts yet.