Any 300/Troy-like movie recommendations?

Tools    

Can anyone suggest some historical type movies similiar to 300, Troy, Braveheart...etc? Fiction or non-fiction doesn't matter. Mainly lookin for Euro area movies. Knight's, greeks, romans...etc interest me. Probably movies with less media exposure than those listed above as I've probably seen it if it was big at release time.

Or perhaps a TV series, similar to Rome or BBC's Robin Hood? Yes, I'm picky lol...any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Originally Posted by mrdruid
Fiction or non-fiction doesn't matter.

Excalibur (1981 - John Boorman)
Conan the Barbarian (1981 - John Milius)
Flesh + Blood (1985 - Paul Verhoeven)
Ladyhawke (1985 - Richard Donner)
Robin & Marian (1976 - Richard Lester)
Ivanhoe (1952 - Richard Thorpe)
Spartacus (1960 - Stanley Kubrick)
Chimes at Midnight (1966 - Orson Welles)
Henry V (1989 - Kenneth Branagh)
The 300 Spartans (1962 - Rudolph Maté)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You might try this thread or this one or this one.

Welcome to MoFo, where the search function actually works!
I bet people see the "use the dam search button" line more than all repeated questions put together...which also gets pretty lame. I mean, have u been to the I'M KNOW IT ALL forums? It's gotten so bad that people actually put "YES I USED SEARCHED" as their first line these days.

anyways, yes i know how search works...i just couldn't think of exactly what category these movies fit under, resulting in weak search results. I was thinking epic but that may not cover it or perhaps too vague...etc and blah blah and so on.

Thanks for the links tho...very much appreciated, very helpful

You might try this thread or this one or this one.

Welcome to MoFo, where the search function actually works!

Excalibur (1981 - John Boorman)
Conan the Barbarian (1981 - John Milius)
Flesh + Blood (1985 - Paul Verhoeven)
Ladyhawke (1985 - Richard Donner)
Robin & Marian (1976 - Richard Lester)
Ivanhoe (1952 - Richard Thorpe)
Spartacus (1960 - Stanley Kubrick)
Chimes at Midnight (1966 - Orson Welles)
Henry V (1989 - Kenneth Branagh)
The 300 Spartans (1962 - Rudolph Maté)
Thanks much, lol that helped a bit more than you might have thought though. Mainly looking for post 1990 films. I just can't stand anything much older than that, it's just me...I did enjoy Conan though, and again, thanks!

Originally Posted by mrdruid
Mainly looking for post 1990 films. I just can't stand anything much older than that, it's just me...
How terribly sad. Wow, if you would have just identified yourself as a cinematically close-minded baby, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Buh-bye.

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks much, lol that helped a bit more than you might have thought though. Mainly looking for post 1990 films. I just can't stand anything much older than that, it's just me...I did enjoy Conan though, and again, thanks!
Your loss, for sure, as ALL the best examples of the films you asked for are pre-90'. Your missing out if you don't at least give Excalibur a try. It's dark, mysterious, and beautifully shot. A true classic. Stuff like Troy and Alexander are bottom of the barrel garbage in comparison.

Ciao!

"Kingdom of Heaven" extended Director's Cut (194 mins) is excellent. And I always through in "The 13th Warrior" when I need a "Warriors, Swords & Blood" fix...

How terribly sad. Wow, if you would have just identified yourself as a cinematically close-minded baby, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Buh-bye.
hehe, ya i said im "picky"

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I bet people see the "use the dam search button" line more than all repeated questions put together...which also gets pretty lame. I mean, have u been to the I'M KNOW IT ALL forums? It's gotten so bad that people actually put "YES I USED SEARCHED" as their first line these days.

anyways, yes i know how search works...i just couldn't think of exactly what category these movies fit under, resulting in weak search results. I was thinking epic but that may not cover it or perhaps too vague...etc and blah blah and so on.
You're looking for historical films, but didn't think to search for "historical", which is what I used? You put more effort into this whinge than you did in searching. And I didn't say "use the damn search button", I merely pointed out that it works. There are forums where it doesn't. I was being nice, pinhead.
Thanks for the links tho...very much appreciated, very helpful
Piss off.

Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Gladiator I think this one is like 300 and Troy movie...This one is well recommended...

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
sheesh... were you guys having a bad day back there?

The poor guy seemed nice enough and he just kept getting slammed over and over. I'm only saying something because the thread came back here and it really surprised me to see those types of responses from people whom I have never seen be quite so... mean...
Of course I haven't been here that long...

Well if someone bring back the thread when it's already dead, it seems that there is someone interested to it...As a member anyone can post in any thread even it is old, it doesn't matter...As long as it is related...

sheesh... were you guys having a bad day back there?

The poor guy seemed nice enough and he just kept getting slammed over and over. I'm only saying something because the thread came back here and it really surprised me to see those types of responses from people whom I have never seen be quite so... mean...
Of course I haven't been here that long...
Jeezus.

I would bet that if *YOU* had used the damn search button you would have been able to find plenty of examples of these same people exhibiting the very same behavior to which you now make a point of expressing your surprise in seeing exhibited on the boards.

And another thing, they'd bust a gut from the sheer power of their acidulous mocking laughter at the Know-it-All forums if you ever dared to register there, you puling, whinging, sack of newbie meat.

Why don't you type the word 'lame' into the damn search box and see if your username comes up?

(Of course I am kidding, in case anyone missed my tongue firmly planted in my cheek)

I'd go with Conan and Excalibur.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't know it really counts as a recommendation, since I haven't seen it yet, but the latest version of Beowulf that is coming soon looks as if it might fit the bill.

I have a Troy/300 movie recommendation; don't watch Troy or 300.

SPARTACUS...as Holds pointed out..

.oh yeah and Airplane.

I recommend BraveHeart by Mel Gibson..A very beautiful movie.

Can anyone suggest some historical type movies similiar to 300, Troy, Braveheart...etc? Fiction or non-fiction doesn't matter. Mainly lookin for Euro area movies. Knight's, greeks, romans...etc interest me. Probably movies with less media exposure than those listed above as I've probably seen it if it was big at release time.

Or perhaps a TV series, similar to Rome or BBC's Robin Hood? Yes, I'm picky lol...any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Rob Roy

Robin of Sherwood

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)