Velvet reviews movies ...... Occasionally

→ in
Tools    

Battle Royale

Background info:

Battle Royale is a Japanese film from the year 2000. The plot consists of a group of Japanese students who are placed on a island and forced to kill each other until one is left. If their is more than one left when the time limit of 3 days is up then everybody dies through means of the explosive neck bracelets they are forced to wear. Battle Royale originates from the 1999 Japanese novel of the same name written by Koushun Takami.

Review:

I have to say I was quite impressed with this film. I had been wanting to see it for a while because of its reputation as a cult film and for the rather interesting plot. The main reason is succeeds is because it doesn't deduce itself to campy shenanigans and instead takes itself seriously but adds a sprinkle of dark humor in the mix. One actor that completely takes the film to another level is Takeshi Kitano. He is extremely refined as an actor and every scene he is in is elevated. Not to mention his performance is versatile. In one scene he is menacing and in another he is calm and collected bringing an aura of wisdom along with his presence. One scene in particular in which he is in is my favorite of the film.

Takeshi Kitano emerges from the chaos of the scene carrying an unmbrella bringing such beauty and peace to the moment and really elevates this scene. As for the other actors they are all average or better with some standouts. One of those standouts is Ko Shibasaki who plays Mitsuko Souma. Mitsuko plays a japanese schoolgirl that when released onto the island goes a bit crazy. She goes around killing others and thanks to the actor that played her every scene she is in really pops out and is unique. She really brings vibrancy to the film and brings a great performance. As for the structure of the film we mainly focus on three characters Shuya, Noriko, Kawada. The film ping pongs around to some other characters but mainly we focus on our main characters struggle to survive and how the mysterious Kawada has promised a way out for our trio. The film wraps up in what I believe is a satisfying conclusion and felt written very smartly. Now for the effects. The effects seem dated at times but never distract and some till hold up quite well.

Overall:

Overall I would say this is quite a strong film and I recommend it to everybody.

Notes:

I just wanna say that I am new to this so the review is probably quite messy and I hope to improve that in the future. Also sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes.

missed violent cop at the library but I am aiming to watch lolita vibrator torture and maybe post a review here