U-Turn

→ in
Tools    

Am I just sick or could this be one of the funniest films in the past 10 years. It's a twisted film to be sure but everytime I talk about it to someone or think about it, I find myself cracking up. all the things that Penn's character goes through throught-out the film my laughter seems to get out of control. I remember though that on my first viewing all I wanted was for him to get out of that town by any means nessacary. And just when it seemed like he would get out Stone pulled him and me back in. At the time during my first viewing I wasn't laughing but instead I was in agony. On second viewing the cruelity seem to be directed at me as much as it was at Penn. And that's were I found the humor in Stone's painful and strong attempts to put you through the battle with Penn at all times and at every possible moment.

The fact that Stone was working in a more genre filled atmosphere seem to raise the films hilarious-ness to such a high level as Stangelove and other such masterful comedies. I feel exactly and completely into Stone's grasp, he had me Routing, Feeling, Hoping, imaging, Wishing, Penn would get out of this mess this town alive and fully intact. When I knew deep down this wasn't going to happen.

That's why for me the humor hit me afterwards on my first viewing and on repeated viewings. Well, I love this film and even if you don't consider it to be hilarious film but all the same a great film nother the less give me some comments.

No, you're just sick.

Love the idea of it, love the cast, absolutely hate Stone's hamfisted direction. A few good moments, but wasted in a sea of amped-up tone with nowhere to go. Like most of Stone's latter work for me, all style with no substance, and even the overwhelming style isn't enough to interest me. I'd grade it a D+.

I saw it at The Austin Film Festival a few weeks before it opened proper, with Stone in attendance, and I'd say as a crowd we were stunned by how bad it was. I've seen it a couple times since then and my opinion of U-Turn only continues to worsen.

But hey, glad you enjoyed it.

Seriously though, you gots to come around here more often, L.B.J. I miss ya', Snookums.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No, you're just sick.

I thought so.

One thing that's always for sure about Mofo is that I always get a good honest response from you. Thanks buddy. Anybody else would like to give me some comment I would be much obligied.

Nope, your not the only one. I too enjoy this amusing reworking of RED ROCK WEST. (But hey, I know Im sick)

Joaquin Phoneix alone is worth admission price. I am a die hard Penn fan, for me seeing him strut his stuff is also high entertainment.

Sure Stone's heavy handed, but when isnt he?? You've got to go expecting to be visually assualted and stimulated for all the wrong reasons. Thats the way his humour shines through.

Damn right I laugh my ass off all the way through and dig the always enthralling images and use of sound & audio to tell an amusing little tale where no one is particully likeable nor redeeming. But they are all self involved, over the top charectures that amuse my simple mind.

I can appreciate its not for everyone and a huge dose of cynicism goes a long way too. (Goes for any Stone film)

I loved it.........

I found U Turn to have some funny moments........but found it to be predominantly dark, troubling and violent...........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

The film's only notable scene was Billy Bob's menacing, redneck slob dragging Penn over the coals and mumbling, with monkey-wrench in hand, "You wanna dance with me?"

J Lo was never sexier , that sex scene with sean penn is just sublime, a very good film from the 90s, at least an Rated R film which we don t see these days...