The Best Offer (La Migliore Offerta) [Review]

→ in
Tools    

The Best Offer (La Migliore Offerta)
Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore

So I just finished watching this Italian movie directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. To be honest, I didn't have any expectations on the movie, although I had heard some great reviews on it. It is also the first movie I watch from this director, so I was also unaware of his style, so I could not expect anything.

At the start of the movie, I was unsure whether or not I would enjoy the 2 hours spent watching it. It started quite slowly, and the colors were really dark, making it a little boring for the first few minutes. I was also confused by some elements of the storyline, since everything seemed to happen at once (atleast for me). But around the 30 minutes mark, everything seemed clear and I was finally ready to fully understand the work.

Right off, I must admit that the actors have done a really, really good job in this movie. The emotions seem real, and the change in Virgil's (the main character) vision on his life seems natural. I think that is the strongest point in this movie, because the story is simple and the whole picture could have flopped if it were not for the actors, but the fact that they play their role in the way they did it makes the simple storyline seem complete enough. I also enjoyed how the physical aspects of the characters change throughout the story. Tornatore really plays with colors in this work, adding more and more of them throughout the movie in order to fit with the development in the character's emotions.

The setting is also truely beautiful, and the director also plays with colors on this aspect, which might be the reason why I less enjoyed the first minutes of the movie, where the setting was dark and boring, in order to fit with the sadness and the monotony of Virgil.

The story, although really simple, is really well developed, and the way Tornatore develops the story around a handful of characters makes you develop a certain connection with each of them. You can easily fall in love with the protagonists and you become attached to their story, which is something I have had trouble finding in today's movies. And the ending, woah ! I totally didn't expect it, and to be honest, I really don't know if I fully understand it and whether I like it or not, but it surely is beautifully filmed. I will not spoil it for you, but I swear, this is probably my favorite movie ending so far, so different and refreshing, still can't decide if it's in a good way, though.

I really am trying to find flaws to this movie, but I really can't find any : I was hooked from beginning to end, and I would certainly watch it another time, because although the movie is somewhat plot-driven, the settings and the metaphores used in it really make you want to rewatch it.

If anyone is interested in watching the movie, I'd love to discuss about the ending of it with him/her, as I'm unsure I understood it properly.

it is a good film. good acting, good directing, good story, good music... it's not the best i've seen recently (i just saw 'the hunt' from thomas vinterberg and that blew me off completely), but it is worth watching.

Glad to see someone on here watched it.
What did you understand from the ending ?

spoil alert!!!!
well, I just saw the movie (in Italian) and have a lot of doubts.
was this all a big scam to rub him planned by Claire and Robert?
what was the role of Billy there?
why did she insist that she loves him in any case?

Mammad: I think that it was planned by all of them even Billy.
In my opinion, she told him that she loved her no matter what, because she really fell in love with him but couldn't do anything. She had to go along with the plan.

Gugubee: I would like to discuss the end. What did you understand from the end? I mean in your opinion, what's the end?