Top 10 lists from 2001 to 1965

Tools    

"Gray's Anatomy" was pretty funny. I think I stopped paying attention near the end, but I enjoyed it, even though it was, to say the least, completely freakin' weird.

"The prostitutes ran across the street like...well, a bunch of prostitutes."
I would call it a worthwhile movie, but it wasn't anything special, except in the sense that it was very, very strange. I saw very little of "The Limey," partially because what I did see didn't interest me much.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike

And how many of Soderbergh's movie have you even seen? Ill wager you likely haven't seen at least three of the following: Kafka, King of the Hill, Schizopolis, Gray's Anatomy, The Underneath and The Limey.

Isn't that what you were asking for. It is Andie MacDowell's best work? You want to see her act, look at sex, lies and videotape, not Green Card.
How frickin' presumptious are you?! I have seen King of the Hill- Spalding Gray has always been a favorite of mine. I OWN the Limey, you freak, AND Gray's Anatomy is givin'. So I've seen excatly three.
I never said I was asking for acting abilities...I KNOW MacDowell can act...I said SHOWCASE...in which case, sex, lies...was not a showcase.

I take "showcase" in regards to actors to mean an exhibition of their total talent, and I think sex, lies and videotape is the best gague of that. Green Card is not a good showcase for what Andie MacDowell is really capable of. She can do more than just look pretty, and even as far as romantic comedy, I think she's much better seen in Groundhog Day and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

And like I said, you've seen three of those six Soderbergh movies listed (presumption correct). How can you judge his work if you haven't seen it all? I'll give you a pass on Ocean's 11, because it's so new.

I am a huge, crazy Spalding Gray fan. Gray's Anatomy is the most interesting visually of the filmed monologues (Jonathan Demme did Swimming to Cambodia, Nick Broomfield did Monster in a Box, and Tommy Schlamme did Terrors of Pleasure), no contest. I do love Gray's Anatomy, but I'd rank it third of those four filmed monolgues. Swimming to Cambodia and Monster in a Box are must-sees. Terrors of Pleasure may be my favorite actual monolgue, but it wasn't filmed very well, mostly because it was edited down to just over an hour for HBO (it should run about 80-minutes).

The interviews Soderbergh added to Gray's Anatomy are perfect and mesh seemlessly with the monolgue.

And you have to see The Limey from the very beginning. It plays with time narrative in an interesting way (much more so than Out of Sight or The Underneath), so if you don't see it from the opening it would be very hard to discern what is going on.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts

And you have to see The Limey from the very beginning. It plays with time narrative in an interesting way (much more so than Out of Sight or The Underneath), so if you don't see it from the opening it would be very hard to discern what is going on.
Is this a comment to everyone in general? Surely you aren't talking to me, as I just said," I OWN it."

I did a monolouge for a drama tournament from Monster in a Box. Gray's mind is painfully clever. You should apologize for assuming so much in one sentance
I'll wager you likely haven't seen at least three of the following
That's such a bastard thing to say.

"Bastard" or not, I was right.

And my Limey comment was obviously directed at Commish, who said he had only seen a piece of the movie and was uninterested in it. His post came directly before yours.

Now With Moveable Parts
"Bastard" or not, I was right.

No! You said," at least three." In which case, I've seen three. That's more than," at least." So you were not right...you were wrong! Admit it! Will it kill you to admit when you're wrong?

No, you're wrong. I listed six, you've seen three. How many does that leave? I'm no math wiz, but "at least three".

I was saying of his entire filmography, which you were assessing sex, lies and videotape as his "weakest effort", you probably haven't seen at least three of those six films. By your own admission you HAVE NOT seen Schizopolis, Kafka, or The Underneath. That is at least three Soderbergh movies you haven't seen.

Like I said.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It's getting pretty heated here. Simma....Simma
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Right now...the mood I'm in, I could take you both down, and it would be something you two would never forget.

Whatever. Is all I have to say. You were presuming I never saw any of the movies you listed, but I caught you off gaurd. So now, you're just going to pull out your stubborn card. Won't work...I've got cards to make you cry.

I was not saying you hadn't seen any or all six of those Soderbergh movies. I figured you hadn't seen at least three of 'em, and I was right. I'm not being stubborn, that's just what I said. You even quoted it yourself, "haven't seen at least three". Well, you haven't.

So who is being stubborn?

Now With Moveable Parts
You're the devil.

Now With Moveable Parts
Blech. I despise that phrase.

Holden frustrates me to no end! You know full well, dearie, that you were banking on the fact that you were just gonna stump the hell out of me with your list of Soderbergh movies, then you fell back on your " at least three" as a recover.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Maybe he just knows what happens when you get into an arguement and is just wanting some *ahem ahem* juicy convo's out of you.

I'll shutup now before I get a visit from Sadie. ...WAIT!!! What am I saying!?!? I'll keep it up, cause that's what I WANT!!

Now With Moveable Parts
your fondness for me is showing spud...better cover that up before I see it....

what I don't get is how all you guys are picking on HOLDEN 1990 list way my list is like this.

1.Memphis Belle
2.Miller's crossing
3.Jacob's Ladder
4.Goodfellas <
5.The Grifters
6.Total recall
7.La Femme Nikita
8.Dick Tracy
9.The Hunt for Red October
10.Q&A

King of New York
Alice

Could someone tell me why you didn't jump all over this list for 1990 it's not that I want to argue with you guys and gals about lists it's just that you guys are jumpin all over Holden's list when sadesdrk you've got Home Alone in your list and Mr. Pike has said nothin about it's like holden said

My list isn't incomplete, just different from yours (apparently)

I'd like to say that his 1992 list is quite different from mine I still respect the list but I don't know how he put White man can't jump over movies like HARD BOILED,GLENGARRY GLENROSS,ZENTROPA AND ORLANDO but i'd like to say that I do really like White man can't jump but for me just not that much that's all.
________
VAPER GENIE

Now With Moveable Parts
Home Alone is a good movie. C'mon L.B.J...Bring it!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
You're the devil.
That cracked me up so bad. I'm smiling even now at how damned funny it is when you get mad. I'm no Holden fan, but I must commend him for getting you ticked...it's very entertaining. Personally it seems that he may technically be right...but I think it was a poor, somewhat misleading way to phrase things. I do also think he assumed you'd seen less than you had. Just my opinion.

Holden: I saw some of the beginning of "The Limey." I hate to sound arrogant, but I felt right away that it just wasn't my thing...so I left the room. I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have liked it, but I don't think it was likely. Perhaps I was in a bad mood...I really can't say.

Oh, and I love "Home Alone." I think it's wittier than most people give it credit for. It's easy to forget that it's so old...it started what has now become tired and cliche. It wasn't an old trick at the time, though.