The 'Burbs A Joe Dante Film

→ in
Tools    

He's a stranger in an even stranger land .......... Suburbia

The 'Burbs 1989/color/102min/pg/universal

Directed by
Joe Dante

Cast
Tom Hanks/Bruce Dern/Carrie Fisher/Rick Ducommun/Corey Feldman/Wandy Schaal/Henry Gibson/Brother Theodore/Courtney Gains/Gale Gordon/Dick Miller

Music by
Jerry Goldsmith

DP
Robert M. Stevens

Screenplay by
Dana Olson

Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment brought this great litttle film to the screen that got very unjust reviews by critics as for me I think it's one of my all-time favorite comedies. It has an 80's Frank Capra feel and plays like Sergio Leone's Once upon a time in the west. It was directed by Joe Dante who mixes in
clips from movies such as the exorcist and the texas chainsaw massacre,cartoons and T.V. show on T.V. within the picture as a type of medium.

It's about Ray Petersan played by Tom Hanks in one of his most underated comedic perfomances to date. He suspects some kind of going ons in the basement of his new neighbors house the Klopek's. What unsues next are some botched attempts to find out about his neighbors and when one of his not so friendly neighbors dissapears Ray starts to suspect things and that's when the fun begins and thing get a bit out of control.

* VHS, LD, DVD the dvd comes with an alternate ending which plays on the theme of Mister Roger's which also appears in the movie after a bad nightmare.

* the entire film was shot on one set like some of Alfred Hitchcock films such as "Rear Window", "Rope" and "Lifeboat" they used the old "Leave it to beaver" sets and made some modifications.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I too, liked this flick. Very funny, and I watch it every now and then.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I probably should give this movie a second chance, because I think I hated it...way back when I first saw it.

I think you should rent this puppy and tell me what you think of it sadesdrk
________
Washington Marijuana Dispensaries

Now With Moveable Parts
Okay. Two strong reccomendations from two members I enjoy...so I'll give it a go.

Now With Moveable Parts
I was just trying to get you to change your horrible opinion of me...and convince L.B.Jefferies, I'm not as bad as everyone makes me out to be.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
You're not bad, just want things to go your way some of the time.

L.B. - If you want to know the way to get Sadie to like you...start an argument with her.

Sadie - you really should check this movie out though.

Now With Moveable Parts
spud- I will check the movie out. I will also get into an argument with you right now! What's wrong with me knowing what I want and agressivly going after it?!

L.B.J- hello.

The 'burbs is underrated and got a bit of a bad rap, but not as much as Joe vs. the Volcano, Quick Change and Let It Ride from that same couple of years (1989 & 1990). While I like all of those more than The 'burbs, I still do love Dante's flick (his last completely good movie).

The entire cast is good, even (though it pains me to say it) Corey Feldman - though happily his part isn't very large, which is probably why he's tolerable. Hanks is good in his beleagured everyman role, as usual, and handles some terrific physical comedy. It's a shame Bruce Dern hasn't been able to do very much comedy in his career, because he can be hysterical, as he is here. Stand-up Rick Ducommun has no range whatsoever as an actor, but he was well cast in this movie. Henry Gibson is always reliable. I'm still in love with Wendy Schaal's @ss. Of course Dante regular Dick Miller shows up as one of the garbage men and is welcome. But the actor who just about steals the movie is the one and only Brother Theodore. Man, you kids probably never saw his appearances on "Late Night with David Letterman" back in the early and mid '80s. Brother Theodore and underground comic book artist Harvey Pekar were among the angriest, oddest and best guests in the history of TV talk shows.

"About a nine on the old tension scale, Reub."

"I don't understand why. It was parked outside all day!!!"

"Run to me, Men! Run to water!"

"I'm only trying to take a nap! I"m only lying here with my eyes closed trying to get some Gahdamn sleep!"

"I've never seen that. I've never seen anybody drive their garbage to the street then bang the Hell out of it with a stick, I, I've never seen that."

"So let me get this straight: the Klopeks are offering up Walter as a sort of human sacrifice to Beelzebub, is that it?"
"That's one of the theories, yeah."

"You know, one thing about these old guys: they don't ever leave the house without their hair. No, sir. Walter left this house in a big hurry."

"It came with the frame."

"Sardine?"

"What have you got in the cellar, Herr Klopek?!?"

"You keep a horse in the basement?"

"Art's got a gun."

"Ray, do want 'em to take your family, kidnap 'em, tear their livers out and make some Satanic pate?"

"Ray, you're chanting. Ray, look: unconcsious chanting. You're chanting - I want to kill, every-one, Satan is good, Satan is our pal..."

"I've been blown up! Take me to the hospital!"

"Art!"
"Your wife's home."
"And your house is on fire."
"My wife is home?!?!"

"I think the message to, uh, psychos, fanatics, murderers and nutcases all over the world is, uh, do not mess with suburbanites. Because, uh, quite frankly, we're not gonna be content to look after our lawns and wax our cars, paint our houses. We're out to get 'em, Don. We are out to get them."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Okay...good. Back on track. Cool. I'm gonna rent it this weekend.

Cool Holden so you dig the Movie that makes me feel good all those lines you put down I was saying them just like the characters do I've seen this movie at least 75 times also it's one of those movies that I can pop on at night and enjoy it for it wackyness and sillyness.

Love the Burbs, easily one of my favourite comedies. I strategically had it up very high on my 80s list, in the hope that it would get one of the bottom spots. No luck though

I love the 'Burbs. It's always the first movie I see in my digital list - as it's first alphabetically because of the " ' " before the word Burbs. And it always makes me chuckle. Rick Ducommum is hilarious in it.