Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Such a good movie about domestic violence. So frickin sad to watch.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Evangelion: Death (True)² (1997) - First Time on Netflix

It's no secret that I'm a diehard fan of the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise. I own all three Rebuild movies on Blu-ray and I own End of Eva and as many of the episode collections as I could find for a decent price on DVD. Hell, I own all six volumes of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days manga and I'd love to see it adapted as an anime. However, this one just wasn't getting it if you know what I mean. It's a poorly structured attempt to cram episodes 1-24 of the series inside of 70 minutes, interspersed with inserts of the pilots playing the cello, violin, and viola, and it doesn't really work at least in part due to its complete lack of continuity and context. It's neither terribly good nor terribly bad, just average, I guess. I guess it *might* be possible that I could have found it easier to get into if Netflix had gotten Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant back to voice Shinji and Asuka, but I don't think even they could save this disjointed mess. As it is, it's the same dub Netflix made with its problematic script - "Third children." You're kidding, right? So it's poorly structured, it completely lacks context and continuity, and I (like many other fans of the franchise as it turns out) don't really see what purpose it serves. So what does all of that mean? I can't recommend it to newcomers who won't understand it at all and fans who have seen the series and End of Eva aren't missing anything aside from watching the pilots play instruments. Newcomers are better suited watching the series and I can't really recommend it to fans as anything more than a curiosity piece. While I did enjoy the insert scenes, which mixes my feelings on it enough to keep me from calling it terrible outright, I don't see myself rewatching this in the near future, if ever since I see no notable purpose that it serves to the Eva franchise.

'My Sassy Girl' (2001)

Dir.: Jae-young Kwak

The First half was a little laborious with some odd slapstick comedy. The second half contains some of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful, tearjerking cinema I have ever seen. It's a love story that contains tragic, funny, emotional and even supernatural elements - yet there's no kissing, no "I Love You's" and the main character's name is not even revealed once throughout the film.

It's based on a real life internet blog that a Korean student wrote in the late 90s about a relationship with a girl. Obviously many elements are embelished, and the film is more a fantastical, magical re-telling of the notion of fate versus coincidence. Romantic comedies are not normally films I enjoy but this is crafted so well using proper creativity and heart. It's a great journey. I can't imagine any country other than Korea pulling this film off. I'm not even tempted to watch the American remake.

I don't think I've ever ended up loving a film so much that I rated so averagely half way through.

The Banana Splits Movie 2019

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Stella Maris (Marshall Neilan, 1918)

Would've preferred an hour and twenty-odd of drinking beer and eating chips I think

2nd Re-watch...this warm and engaging comedy drama about a very dysfunctional family trying to get to a children's beauty pageant is a perfect balance of grins and lumps in tthe throat. Its biggest asset is a perfect ensemble cast led by Greg Kinnear, investing in a pretty unlikable character and the always watchable Toni Collette. I'm not sure if Alan Arkin's Oscar-winning performance as the foul-mouthed, heroine-snorting grandpa was better than Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls, but loved Steve Carell, Paul Dano, and the adorable Abigail Breslin.

2nd Re-watch...this warm and engaging comedy drama about a very dysfunctional family trying to get to a children's beauty pageant is a perfect balance of grins and lumps in tthe throat. Its biggest asset is a perfect ensemble cast led by Greg Kinnear, investing in a pretty unlikable character and the always watchable Toni Collette. I'm not sure if Alan Arkin's Oscar-winning performance as the foul-mouthed, heroine-snorting grandpa was better than Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls, but loved Steve Carell, Paul Dano, and the adorable Abigail Breslin.

I loved that movie until the ending. It just fell in to a terrible trap.

Not sure what you mean about it falling into trap
It was the typical hollywood ending, done in terrible fashion where they were on stage and everything was just ace for everybody. Yay.

Unregistered User
Beau Travail (1999) -

The Front Page (1974) -

Involuntary (2008) -

One Cut of The Dead (2017) -

Sarah plays a Werewolf (2017) -

On Dangerous Ground (1951) -

Atomic Blonde (2017) -

Babylon (1980) -

Bastards (2013) -

The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) -

It was the typical hollywood ending, done in terrible fashion where they were on stage and everything was just ace for everybody. Yay.
I wouldn't say aces...Olive didn't win, the family was almost arrested and Olive was banned from entering anymore beauty contests ever.

Das Wachsfigurenkabinett [Waxworks] (Leo Birinsky & Paul Leni, 1924)
+
Good enough to figure in the upcoming countdown?

I wouldn't say aces...Olive didn't win, the family was almost arrested and Olive was banned from entering anymore beauty contests ever.
Then it should have ended with them all in the van crying.

A common theme which ran throughout Hitchcock's work was how his films would mislead you by starting off one way only for something to overtake them, setting them in a whole new direction. For instance, Rear Window starts off as an ordinary drama only to turn into a murder mystery. Vertigo starts off as a haunting ghost tale only for it to turn into a murder thriller. Psycho starts off as a crime thriller only for it to turn into a horror film. With this film, it starts out as an innocuous romance, only to turn into a creature feature. This turnover isn't nearly as memorable as the other three films I mentioned since the romance between Melanie and Mitch isn't particularly interesting or engaging, meaning my reaction to the turnover was "Good, it's finally moving along." Fortunately though, once it picked up, I was much more involved with it. This film could've just been another B movie, but due to several factors such as a slow, aggrandizing buildup full of slow-burning tension, multiple suspenseful and unnerving sequences which do a more than fine job of getting under your skin, and standout visual set pieces such as the iconic phone booth scene and certain shots of the birds near the ending, it became one of the best films this sub-genre of horror has to offer.