My Top 100 films..... for Right now!

→ in
Tools    

44. The Hustler (1961) Robert Rossen

Newman has had his fair share of brilliant performance and his command of this character feels like it could have only be played by him and no other. I first saw this film in the most worst of places you guessed it on a PLANE. I didn’t even have headphones yet, I was completely engrossed with what he was going threw. It might have been the first sound film I ever attempted to watched as a silent and you know what it worked. Though, I don’t expect or ask anyone to attempt it. The emotional tight rope with which Newman walks on is the equivalent of someone trying to tight rope from Earth to the Moon it’s impossible but Newman pulls it off. One of the most effecting performance I’ve ever witness put on film.

43. Michael Powell: A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

Dream, Reality and the Life After have never been capture quite like P & P did way back in ‘46. If you asked me to describe this film in one word, it would be. COMPELLING.

42. The Shining (1980) Stanley Kubrick

I keep telling myself to read the book and I own it but for some reason I haven‘t. The TV mini series was terrible even though it was more to King's liking. Lets get to the film. The more times I watch this film the lesser it is a horror film and the more it becomes a psychological drama. An existential film. There’s a lot to be questioned and each new viewing I get different answers maybe that’s why I like it so, it’s a bit like the maze in front of the hotel. You find yourself a new each time by exiting the maze differently but by the means of always entering the same way.

41. Manhunter (1986) Michael Mann

Michael Mann makes another entry into my list which is also a new edition, I re-watched this a few weeks ago and was completely blown over by it’s design. I've mentioned this already in another thread. It’s as if Mann made a very conscious decision to make the film feel overly date as if he wanted it to be a peroid piece. Imagine yourself peering into a time capsule. Visually hypnotic. Stirringly haunting. A staggering Character piece of beautiful complexity. This is a serial killer movie were you don’t witness the killer actually murdering anyone till some hour and half into the film and were you don’t get any long/extanted moments with him till an hour in. Everything goes threw the eyes of are main character Will as he haunts down the psychopathic serial killer while trying not to become one in the process.