The Royal 100

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
"Music to drown by. Now I know I'm in first class."

8. Titanic (1997)

This is considered by many to be entirely overrated, but I think this movie is terrific. I don't dispute that there were probably a lot of truths lost in this film as far as being "realistic and accurate", but I think that James Cameron did a very good job at making it as true to the event as possible. Whatever little (or big) inaccuracies, we have a terrific and interesting storyline. And toward the end of the film, we manage to drift slightly away from our main characters and follow some smaller ones, trying to get an idea of what it was like to be there. The movie starts out very romantic and has quite a few light scenes, but when disaster strikes, the tension rises and the drama really begins.

Kate Winslet has so much acting capability, and she gives a tremendous performance as Rose. Rose is such a deep character that she's so interesting to watch. We get to know her situation, her background, and even her thoughts. Most of us will feel sympathy for her and enjoy watching her sort of come out of her shell. Kate and Leonardo DiCaprio have phenominal chemistry as well and and seem to easily display the tension between to the two characters. Leo portrays Jack perfectly. Even though Jack's character isn't quite as deep, we can easily see the way he feels about Rose and life. The rest of the cast and characters are exceptional as well with Rose's controlling mother, her devillish fiancee Cal, the Unsinkable Molly Brown, the sweet Mr. Andrews, and so many more.

The script has some excellent dialouge and lines throughout it, and never really feels too dull to me. There may be a few corny moments, but never really boring. And, there are so many little things to like about this movie. The costumes and the set are exquisite and just plain beautiful. The special effects are impressive as well and look better than a lot of movies made long after Titanic. A great deal of the musical score I find touching and poignant.

Like a few of my choices before, Titanic has some sentimental value for me as well. That, however, is a very long story. But my sentiments aside, this is a wonderful film that I always enjoy.

"Isn't it wonderful? I'm going to jail!"

7. It's a Wonderful Life (1947)
It's the classic tale of George Bailey. I think I watch this at least one a week every Decemeber with various family members. This touching drama is yet another masterpiece from Frank Capra. Capra, known for his somewhat corny messages throughout his films, is no different here. But the idea here is one that I think everyone should know--No man is failure that has friends. We all feel like George Bailey at times or in one way or another, which I think is why this movie can appeal to so many people.

The storyline may sound a little boring, but for some reason, just watching George grow up and go through life is very interesting. We share in his frustrations and joys, and it's a good ride. The script has memorable and fun dialouge that adds a light touch to the story. Other moments, it has some excellent lines and fairly profound statements.

James Stewart gives one of his great performance and is ideal man to play George Bailey. He perfectly captures George's in his stress and his happiness. The supporting cast is great, all playing kind of colorful characters that we grow to like a lot or dislike a lot. Lionel Barrymore, Donna Reed, Henry Travers, Thomas Mitchell, etc are all fantasic and bring a great deal of life to the movie.

While this may be too corny for some people, whenever I watch this, it makes me feel a little better about my life and leaves me with a good feeling. We all can get discouraged sometimes like George does, but we can see that everybody is important. Maybe we all haven't done things as great as George Bailey, but I bet everybody has done something good for someone that they may not even realize. I think this film is a good reminder of that, and it's just one for me that is always a joy to watch.

Nah, I don't think it is a corny movie at all. I remember watching this in the beginning of December, being a little down for some personal events, but I remember in the final scene how happy I felt for George Bailey and realized how deep Frank Capra developed the character that made me really care for him and his life. I also think this movie can be overlooked sometimes and is just mentioned for being the "best holiday film".

Good choice

"Come out to the coast. We'll get together, have a few laughs."

6. Die Hard (1988)
Field of Dreams, Titanic, and It's a Wonderful Life. Just when you think the Top 10 is going to be dramatic and sentimental, I bring this in. While Die Hard doesn't exactly have a virtuous theme or loads of Oscar nominations, this film can be enjoyed over and over again. Trust me, at about 35 views in less than a year, I never get tired of this modern action classic.

Die Hard is the perfect sit-back-and-enjoy kind of movie. Thrills go as high as the skyscaper it is set in and this basically defines a good action flick. It begins with an introduction to the settings and with some great character development. We see the down to earth John McClane struggle with his head-strong wife Holly as Hans' evil masterplan takes off. Soon, the suspense begins and the well devised story takes place. We go through all the action staples: explosions, gunplay, and swearing. But at the same time, we're entertained by a great script filled with laughs and well-written storyline. While the average bear couldn't make it through the first half an hour or so, John McClane manages to get shot, thoroughly pounded, and jump off an exploding building. Some people may find how unrealistic Die Hard is a put-off, but I am not one of that group.

There are only about four characters in this entire movie you'll be routing for. No. 1: John McClane. McClane is as sharp with his mind as he is with his words, and Bruce Willis was born to play this famous NYC cop. We also find that other than being a total badass, he's a loving father to his kids and husband to Holly. No. 2: Holly. She's not afraid of argument with John or the ruthless Hans Gruber and Bonnie Bedelia was an excellent choice in casting. No. 3: Sgt. Al Powell. He's John's only friend that we find has a story of his own to tell, played well by Reginald VelJohnson. And last but not least, No. 4: Argyle. It takes Argyle a while to realize that he's involved, but he's good for a few laughs and a good punch.

However, the villians are equally fun in this movie. Alan Rickman is fabulous in his first feature film role as Hans Gruber, an exceptional thief. Rickman delivers some great lines and is perfectly ruthless. Alexander Godunov's Karl is fun to watch as his one track mind settles on killing McClane. Then, throw in loads of completely annoying @ss-hole characters such as Ellis, Dwayne, Agent Johnson, Special Agent Johnson, and a few more here and there. Fortunately, it's a happy ending for all the good guys.

Overall, Die Hard has a great cast, great script, and is just great fun. One of my favorite Christmas films, as well. And no one can deny that is an action classic.

"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand."

5. Cool Hand Luke (1967)
I don't quite know where to begin talking about this classic. This drama is quite powerful without being heavy. When I watch it, it seems like any other good movie, but at the end, I realize just how much I enjoyed it. It's a most fascinating film about perservance.

One of the greatest things about this movie is the terrific cast and their spectacular performances. Paul Newman shines as Luke Jackson, a fascinating and likable character. Right away you're kind of drawn to him and his rather rebellious nature. George Kennedy earned his Oscar for his performance as Dragline, who at first may seem like a jerk, but he grows on you as he and Luke's friendship deepens. Strother Martin is flawless and absolutely perfect as the warden. All the characters are so powerful that I could never forget them.

The first scene that always stands out to me is the boxing fight between Luke and Dragline. To me, this scene is the most inspirational of any film. It perfectly symbolizes that if you refuse to stay down, you'll be the winner in the end. No matter how many times Dragline socks Luke, no matter how weak he gets or hopeless it seems, he doesn't quit. And in the end, it's Dragline off who backs off. It helps me remember that even when it seems like I've got nothing but trouble, maybe I can make something out of it.

Later in the story, we learn a little more about Luke. Then, we go with him through his numerous attempts to escape. It's a terrific ride, and one of the amazing things is how this movie hasn't aged a bit in about 40 years. I could take a teenage boy who hasn't seen a single movie from before 2001, show him this film, and I think he'd love it. And if you're a movie fan who hasn't seen this yet, watch it now. You don't want to miss out on this story.

"Come out to the coast. We'll get together, have a few laughs."

Alexander Godunov's Karl is fun to watch as his one track mind settles on killing McClane. Then, throw in loads of completely annoying @ss-hole characters such as Ellis, Dwayne, Agent Johnson, Special Agent Johnson, and a few more here and there. Fortunately, it's a happy ending for all the good guys.
A buddy of mine told be to check out The Money Pit Starting Tom Hanks he also told me I wouldn't beileve that it started Alexander Godunov in a totally different role and that he is almost unrecognizable from his role in Die Hard.

Die Hard is what ever action film since it was made strives/tries/popularity wise to be weather they admit it or not.

"I'm the fella who got caught in a cave once. The cave caved in and I haven't been heard from since."

4. You Can't Take It with You (1938)
Surprisingly, this seems to be one of Capra's lesser known masterpieces. It's similar to It's a Wonderful Life, but I like this one more because it's lighter, and it's a comedy. It's the perfect movie for the entire family to watch. And it's another heart warmer that can cheer me up when I'm feeling lousy.

This movie is stuffed with quirky and fun characters all played by terrific actors and actresses. Lionel Barrymore is the total opposite of his grumpy Mr. Potter persona as Mr. Vanderhoff, the head of a household that simply does whatever it wants to. Mr. Vanderhoff has a lot of wisdom to go around and a fascinating take on happiness. Jimmy Stewart is lovable as always and Jean Arthur is perfect for the role of Alice. The rest of the cast delivers some great laughs and contribute to the overall grandness of the movie.

You Can't Take It with You has a very witty script along with a few good gags. Not to mention the characters and parts of the storyline are just plain funny such as the Russian ballet instructor and when the Kirbys come to dinner on the wrong night. I actually put off watching this because it seemed too long and too much like your typical classic comedy. Little did I know how much I was going to love it, so I urge anyone to give it a try.

There are a number of good ideas and points floating around in this film alongside of all the fun too. Of course, it's a happy ending with plenty of Capra-corn but it's hard not to smile at it.

"You won't be able to lie on your back for a while, but then you can lie from any position, can't you?"

3. Charade (1963)
This movie has it all. Charade, to me, excels in every way you could judge a movie. It is funny, romantic, and suspenseful. It has a great cast, direction, and writing. I've never seen a movie more well-rounded then this one. Not to mention, it was my first Cary Grant movie. It's no wonder I became a fan.

Charade is an amazing mystery, loaded with twists and turns. But, unlike some mysteries, you actually keep getting closer and closer to finding the answers. This is actually a two in one puzzler because you try to deduce who the murder is and where the elusive $250,000 has disappeared to. I would've never guessed the answers in a million years. The other amazing part of the writing capabilities at work here is that this movie is hilarious. There's plenty of jokes and terrific dialouge along with the fascinating plot (which I got to know so well that I told the entire story to my mom scene for scene. If that's any indicator as to how many times I can rewatch this movie). Suspense is abundant from the very beginning and up until the last few scenes where the tension really mounts. There's even a little surprise in the last five minutes for you.

It would be hard to find a more spectacular cast. Cary Grant is flawlessly suave, mysterious, and witty through all his characters. Audrey Hepburn makes a great Regina as the female lead. It may not be her most compelling performance, but she's a sheer pleasure as usual. The two have chemistry to burn, and it's a shame they never paired up before. Walter Matthau is great as the CIA agent following up on the case. George Kennedy was absolutely the ideal man to play the ruthless and terrifying Scobie, the easily most sinister villian of them all here. James Coburn is very likable as Tex, who doesn't even change clothes throughout the movie.

On top of all this, Donen gives impressive direction as well. Mancini's score was my ringtone for awhile because I absolutely love the rhythm and excitement he adds to the film. No one could ever watch this and say it was an awful waste of time. I definately would recommend this to anyone. It's a pure classic!

I've always liked Charade it never tiers. It's a relentless fun filled ride. That rarely gives you a moments to breath while the suspense is great and as you've pointed out the humor is delightful and that guessing game the film plays with you is fantastic, great choice.

#2 is a tie because I had to cheat

"I'm hard to get, Geoff. All you have to do is ask me."

2. Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
Granted this probably isn't Hawks', Arthur's, or Grant's greatest achievement, but this relatively forgotten drama is a gem. It has a lot to offer, and at least, I enjoy it immensely every time I watch it. This is one movie, however, I think I get the most out of when I space out viewings. This is the movie I picture myself catching when I can't sleep at three in the morning and it's on television. I don't have the slightest clue what it is, but I start watching, and I'm completely intrigued.

I'll openly admit that this movie might not be enjoyed by all. It has its flaws, and it is another very personal choice, but Only Angels has a lot to offer. I would say that the highlight of this film is the chemistry between all the actors. Not only are the leads perfectly believable, but the entire cast just have some kind of unfathomable connection. Grant has some powerful moments as tough head pilot Geoff Carter. He manages to capture how Geoff sort of masks his emotions a lot through out the movie. I love Jean Arthur's performance as Bonnie, one of my favorite characters. Bonnie just can't seem to help the way she feels, and she's kind of at the mercy of her feelings throughout, which we can all relate to at one time or another. Thomas Mitchell was perfect for the role of Kidd, who is Geoff's best friend and has a rather rich history himself. The rest of the supporting cast all make their characters fairly memorable, some more than others, naturally.

There are a lot of storylines at work in this movie which is why in parts it criss-crosses from a drama to romance to adventure. I seem to like best watching the ups and downs of Bonnie and Geoff's relationship from the very first time they meet to the very last two minutes before the credits. Theirs overlaps with Geoff's trouble with his ex-girlfriend Judy when she unexpectedly shows up. Rita Hayworth shows her potential in this early role of hers. Judy's now married to Bat, the newest pilot, who just happens to have a bitter relationship with Geoff's best friend Kidd. See what I mean? A lot goes on here. Not to mention, the adventure comes in as everyone copes with the struggles of the airline industry. It's usually more exciting than it sounds, with exception of one scene drawn out way too long with some rather dated special effects.

The script is where I think the real heart of the movie comes through. In lines like "He's been dead about 20 minutes, and all the weeping and wailing in the world won't make him any deader 20 years from now. If you feel like bawling, how do you think we feel?" or "I love you, Geoff. There's nothing I can do about it. I just love you, that's all." There are some lighter and humorous moments as well throughout the story to give you a smile or two.

WARNING: "*Only Angels Spoilers*" spoilers below
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how my mood even changes as I watch the last half an hour (or so) of this film. As I watch Kidd and Bat flying, I almost always completely absorbed in tension. Then, when we find out Kidd isn't going to make it, it always breaks my heart. I'm down just long enough to sort of settle into it, and then the very last scene, things seem to perk up for everyone. By the time the credits come up I'm smiling again.

Overall, this film is far from perfection, but it is unique and has a lot going for it. The plot isn't one that has been tried time and time again. Unlike me whether you enjoy it or not, you'll probably forget it not very long after watching it. It's that kind of movie, but it's an enjoyable two hour ride. Anyway, I just love it. End of review.

"Well, well, let's ring bells! Let's send up skyrockets! . . . Well, let's turn on all the lights in the house."

2. Holiday (1938)
This has been my favorite movie from my favorite actor since the first time I saw it. I automatically loved it, but it's one that I like to only watch every now and then. Seems more special that way. Holiday is lesser known in the filmographies of leads Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, but it's shame because I think it's a real charmer. It's light and fun but at the same time it has character depth and good message.

It's so much the attitude and mood of this film that I love so much. The comedy isn't so much laugh out loud humor and gags as it is jokes between friends. The characters in this movie are possibly even better than the tremendous cast playing them, and they are all very well developed. I felt exactly like the character Linda Seton (K. Hepburn) the first time I watched it, trapped in a world where there's nothing to do. I still feel that way at times. Johnny is like "Spring, a breath of fresh air" when he walks into her life. Johnny's looking for the exact opposite: a break. He wants to take a holiday and learn what he's working for before he works any longer. That's a great idea from this film. It's a question that makes a lot of us think.

The other characters are great too, just to name a few. I have a real soft spot for Ned (L. Ayres), who makes me laugh every time I watch. Nick and Susan Potter (E. Horton, J. Dixon) are Johnny's friends that add some special to the movie. The actors all have such terrific chemistry too that whenever I watch this crew together I feel like I've been hanging out with friends. I also enjoy watching Johnny and Linda grow closer and eventually become a couple.

That's exactly what I personally like about this movie, but it has many redeeming aspects as a film as well. The script has a lot of great dialouge. It's not just funny moments, but dramatic ones as well. I think most everyone would find a line that stands out to them and that they'll remember. As I've said, the acting is great and the character development is some of the best you'll find, IMO. These are the best reasons to check this one out.

So, if you'd have ninety minutes to spare and you can enjoy old-fashioned comedies, I'd definately tell you to give Holiday a try. I love the characters and the overall pleasure the film is to watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
One of my dad's fave movies was Holiday, but it was the 1930 Ann Harding version. I still haven't seen that one!

"Well, Jones, at least you haven't forgotten how to show a lady a good time."

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
I know that I've just astounded all the regular MoFos around here who know me so well. (Ah, I just love sarcasm). I've never made it a secret that I absolutely LOVE this amazing movie. Possibly the best part is that I never wanted to watch it. I did nothing but complain when my dad added it to the Netflix queue, and it took me at least two watches to realize how great it was. Then, I ended up making basically everyone I know watch it. Like many others on my list, this is a personal choice but this has possibly the most sentimental reasoning behind it. However, this is a great choice no matter what reasoning, in my opinion.

This is a truly all-around great film, and countless people can tell you that. I don't quite know where to begin. The character of Indiana Jones has become the epitimy of a hero. The wonderful thing about Indy is that he's not a superhero; he's just a regular guy who lives a not-so regular life. Harrison Ford quickly establishes himself as this character, and he's done it so well that I almost never think of Indy as Harrison Ford. He sort of has a life of his own. His girl, Marion Ravenwood, is my all-time favorite movie character. Her bravery and resourcefulness is something I would strive for. She's just plain cool. Allen's devotion to her role comes through beautifully. Indy and Marion are such an amazing pair because of their sometimes conflicting self-assurance. Both characters have a bit of an ego that I think really gives them sparks. I also find their backstory fascinating. It's never actually detailed, but the scene at The Raven I think is possibly one of the best written scenes I've ever watched.

Speaking of the script, Lawerence Kasdan does superb work here. The screenplay is juicy with great dialouge that I adore. It's not neccessarily about adding in a few jokes, but just interesting lines. "There's nothing to fear here." "That's what scares me." It's clever writing like that throughout the entire movie that really adds something. It always makes me wonder how Keopp's script ever got accepted. Lucas is known for having crazy ideas but there is nothing too crazy about Raiders. He was dead on with this character and this story. He and Kasdan's collaboration(s) is marvelous.

This film is so well-paced. We start out in a hair-raising opener in the iconic rolling-boulder episode. Then, we take a little break to absorb the information needed for the historical part of the story to make sense. Next, we travel to Nepal where we meet Marion and get drawn in further as the characters deepen. The action only stops temporarily until the basket chase scene and then we just get time to catch our breath periodically up until the credits. Spielberg's direction certainly has something to be said for here as well. With scenes such as the opener and the truck chase, it's just sort of indescribable for me. Everything is so flawless that I forget I'm watching a movie and just get into it.

Raiders has everything: Action, Romance, Comedy. A great script, an awesome story, a terrific cast playing a slew of fascinating characters. There's still plenty to say. I haven't even mentioned the Nazis, Sallah, a great love scene, the face melting, and more. Watching this movie had a major effect on my life, but whether it does on you or not this is more than a worthwhile two hours. It always leaves me ready to pack up and get lost in a jungle somewhere.