suggestions please

Tools    

y12
Does anyone knows of movies with immigrant theme ? Or more specifically, like people leaving their home country to foreign lands but still preserving their traditions and stuff.. anything of the sort ?

y12
hm thanks any others ?

try "the proposal" its Sandra to be deported to Canada for papers issue.
she is not so good there but that is what you need.

People from India/Pakistan moving to the UK:

Bhaji on the Beach

Ae Fond Kiss

East is East

Brick Lane

and Caribbeans in the UK:

White Teeth

and the BBC series of A Small Island

others:

Gran Torino

and what about District 9? the 'prawn' aliens are immigrants!

A few suggestions:

The Namesake
Ameerka
Avalon
The Visitor
The Kite Runner
House of Sand and Fog
Bend it like Beckham
Lone star
My Family
Mississippi Masala

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
...what about District 9? the 'prawn' aliens are immigrants!
That is an awesome choice District 9 is a brilliant film

Semper Fooey
America, America

Godfather II (seriously)

House of Strangers

I Remember Mama

The Long Grey Line

The Pawnbroker

My Beautiful Laundrette

Enemies. a Love Story

Hester Street

My Family

Flower Drum Song

The Emigrants

A few suggestions:

The Kite Runner
House of Sand and Fog
Brilliant chioces wish I had thought of House of Sand and Fog espcially

Does anyone knows of movies with immigrant theme ? Or more specifically, like people leaving their home country to foreign lands but still preserving their traditions and stuff.. anything of the sort ?
A classic nominated for 5 Academy Awards--I Remember Mama.

Even better--The House I Live In, a 10-minute short starring Frank Sinatra made in 1946 to fight prejudice against those who didn't fit into the mainstream. It won a honorary Academy Award and a special Golden Globe award. The song, written by a man who later was a victim of Hollywood's black list, became a major hit for Sinatra who performed it on a couple of occasions at the White House. It says it all in just 10 minutes.

1492: Conquest of Paradise

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

their is one called made in american or something like that. it about this prince of another country comes to live in american trying to searchfor a wife. it has eddy murphy in it. i forget the name. then their is one called king ralph. its about thisguy who lives in american he finds out hes king of England

Employee of the Month

One of my favorite movies, but it`s not about immigration.
He is only some kind of tourist.

Topic:

In America

-

About illegal irish immigrants in the 80`s.

Some really good suggestions here. y12, you may get some mileage out of this page from IMDB, although some of the titles' references to immigration are transitory and/or oblique.

One of the first films that came to my mind, which suprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet, is Stephen Frears' Dirty Pretty Things (2002), a film that takes immigration as its thrust and very subject.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Miike's Ley Lines centres on the problems of being half-Chinese in Japan. It's more about the process of social rejection than traditions being preserved, but does have a gangland boss who gets prostitutes to read him Shanghai folk tales.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada does an interesting job of looking at the 'Tex Mex' blur at the border of the two countries.

y12
hey dere. thanx alot. ure a great help (: