Does Kick-Ass go too far?

Tools    

I've not seen Kick Ass, but reading this I felt a shock that an 11 year old kid could be saying the C word in a film, and to have it been suggested by her mum. I know kids can use bad language, and I've even heard this word used in a supermarket to a child by it's mother, but it feels like the last taboo somehow. I promise I'm not going all Daily Mail, but I dunno, it makes me feel a bit sad

Warning for the language in the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...s-bad-language

No, it's not too far, in my opinion. Are you allowing for the possibility that the character's mother is, in fact, a c*nt? Perhaps the label is justified and grounded in truth?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's rated "R" here in the states, and that's the kind of language you might expect to find at such a film. Is it rated a bit more leniently in the UK? Or are you saying it's something that shouldn't be in any film, ever, or that it's not something the young actor should be saying regardless of how old the viewers are?

I've read a bunch of the comics and there extremely graffic and there absolutely not intended for kids or even young teenagers. To my knowledge england is a lot more stringent in it's rate system. I'm kind of in Yoda's last post when it comes to your question could you be a little more specific.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
At the end of the day the girl no matter what her age is playing a role in movie and there for I dont think it is too far at all. I feel sorry for the producers and filmakers for the amount of bad publicity they have received about this, its been on the news and everything. In an interview with the director and some of the cast they just find it ridiculas as do the majority of us.

In the UK im sure it is rated 15.

yes it's a 15 cert here.
I know she's only playing a role N3wt, but she's still a little girl and it's still coming out of her mouth. Yoda, it just doesn't sit right with me. Hearing it when you're over 15 and watching it ok, but not a kid saying it, no.
The makers are reaping in the benefits of the publicity, so I wouldn't feel sorry for them.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I get what your saying but I cant see anything wrong with it as it is only a movie based on a comic and as LB said in comics there are much more things said. With the 15 certificate I think that it should of been an 18 but saying that im sure most 15+ wont be that bothered about it tbh thats just my view.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
To be honest I don't think it goes too far either and I don't really see it as that big of a deal; I havn't actually seen it though. Is it a one off sort of comment or does she say it regularly?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I believe it is a one off comment, I think it is refering to her mother. The actress who plays the charactor in an interview on sky news said she doesnt see anything wrong with it and thats coming form a 14 year old girl.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I believe it is a one off comment, I think it is refering to her mother. The actress who plays the charactor in an interview on sky news said she doesnt see anything wrong with it and thats coming form a 14 year old girl.
Well if it is one off, then really don't see a problem with it especially if it's R rated in the US and a 15 here.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I can see why some people might find it unexceptable as the word in question is classed as the worest of all swear words but it is all just make believe

hmm ok, so maybe it's my age. I don't like that word, never have done. It was never used when I was a kid, so maybe this is a generational thing

I despise that word, and I think it's funny when things are suddenly OK when it's done for a movie. If you wouldn't want/allow your child to say that word at the age of eleven, then it shouldn't be OK for them to say it simply because it's required for a film. I doubt that word will make or break the movie. I find it pathetic that they've even taken the time to toss a scene like that in there.

I can see why some people might find it unexceptable as the word in question is classed as the worest of all swear words but it is all just make believe
Newt, when your daughter is eleven, will you want to hear her say that word? What if it's for a movie? Will it suddenly be OK, because it's fame and fortune? What if she knows you're OK with that scene, so you should have no reason to be upset with her using that same word at that same age, because they are just playing make believe?

How can it be wrong until it's for a paycheck?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Newt, when your daughter is eleven, will you want to hear her say that word? What if it's for a movie? Will it suddenly be OK, because it's fame and fortune? What if she knows you're OK with that scene, so you should have no reason to be upset with her using that same word at that same age, because they are just playing make believe?
I dont use the word and no one I speak to uses it either and if my daugter at the age of eleven said it I would be furious because it isnt something that is exceptable but under these cercomstances if she was playing the role of a charactor then I doubt it very much that I would have a problem with it. It is obvious that the girl had her parents permission to say the word in question and im sure there are plenty of parants and people who would feel the same as me about the word but if you are awilling for your child to do movies there are obviously going to be things that you dont like that happen, like that word.

Are you saying that if your daughter was in the persistion of Hit Girl you wouldnt allow her to do the role because of that word?

Are you saying that if your daughter was in the persistion of Hit Girl you wouldnt allow her to do the role because of that word?
Of course not. I find it very hypocritical to not allow my children to do certain things because I teach them how wrong they are to do, and then suddenly I'll say that it's OK because they will get payed for it, or because they may become famous. Besides, if my daughter were interested in acting, I'm sure she could find a classier character to play, and that is exactly what I would inspire her to do.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've not seen the film and it probably depends a lot on the context but I would hope this isn't going to become any kind of trend in films.

It was pretty shocking in The Exorcist, but then, it was supposed to be.

I understand both sides of the argument here and can only speak for myself: I would not allow my child to say it if I were given the choice, whats worse to me are racial slurs, and I have seen kids in films spout the n word and other awful things, but they were acting yes? (not and excuse, but a question). Anyway, for me I do not like it, but for others they have to live with their decision on how to raise their kids, and I bet in the long run most of 'em all turn out fine.

In addition: We all know the film The Professional right? - Many of the members her tend to like it - 'nuff said.

Female Jungle Poster
Regardless of the film's context, it does irk me that an 11 year old kid would say that word. I only use it in the most derisive, derogatory manner toward other adult women, and even then, I'm fairly certain that I've gone too far.

Because I think I've been extremely inappropriate in the past, I've toned down my abusive language by a considerable amount, and I'm not inclined to encourage that sort of language to be used by children.

I think I'm just getting old.

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~