Movies that could have a future cult following.

Tools    

For a film to achieve "cult" status is getting harder these days because everything under the sun is chatted about endlessly online. This seems to compress the cultural timeline; what we think of as classic cult films usually built a reputation over the course of years, but everything now seems to be decided upon within minutes.

Southland Tales is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I am appreciating many of your opinions so far, and I only give Southland Tales
, so I don't think it's good by any stretch, but for such a ridiculous film, it's surprisingly watchable. I'd only recommend about 7,000 films over it, but I've watched enough to know that I believe that more films fall into the
category than any other rating. However, there's no denying that Southland Tales is already a cult film (don't know why, except for the Donnie Darko tie-in), but I find many cult films to be far worse than Southland Tales (maybe not "stupider", but less entertaining).

I think In Bruges is one of the only films that has been out recently worthy of becoming a cult film, original and unexpected. Maybe not a typical cult classic but it would still get my vote.

Actually I'd say Superbad is the most recent film gone cult. Everything else Seth Rogen releases has a following but I don't know if you'd call it 'cult'.

Harold and Kumar had there shot but after the sequel they've lost momentum.
Majority of comedies seem to be heading towards the 'cult' status. I agree with In Bruges though. That film is destined to have a cult following.

I enjoyed reading this thread. Thought, I might bring it back ta life. See if we could get some more discussion and picks for what might become a cult classic and what is a cult classic. Some titles I've been chewing over. A few that might already have a cult following would be Cruising, Speed Racer, Wild Things and The Happening.

XXX, I guess it made it's money, so by many peoples defintion of a cult film it probably shouldn't be here. Here's my arguement, the fact that this was suppose to be a Vin Diesel vehicle with many spawning sequels and a sort of Americaized bastardized James Bond for the new age and with the advent of Vin Diesels popularity deminishing and the series going to the likes of Ice Cube. I can for see people looking back at this film with some foundness.

Giant Monster flicks, I keep hoping there going to bring these types of films back all the time but there becoming as rare as a hen's tooth. The Host, Godzilla and Cloverfield seem to get most of the popular vote but what about Deep Rising that's the underdog goodie of the bunch, super enjoyable.

With the gaining love for auto paraphernalia of any sort it seems rather funny the a great car film such as The Seven-Ups has gone un-noticed for some 37 years it's only a matter of time.

Then there was the hoppla of the face on Mars and if life could possible be establish there and all the hollywood films that tried to make money off of such interesting senerios. There was Mission to Mars failure, there was Ghost of Mars failure, and Red Planet failure. There is one Mars movie that already qulifies as a cult film which is Capricorn One maybe they've (meaing cult) have decided that one is enough time will only tell my vote would go to Red Planet but I hope it goes to Mission to Mars.

I always here people saying positive things about Kenneth Branagh's frankenstien yet it didn't do so well at the box office and I beileve critically it didn't fair to well.

God Told me Too if it isn't it should be can someone give me clearification as to wear this one stands.

District B13 has got a lot going for it and a few things against it. it has a dystopian future plus, it has a weak plot minus. it has crazy action plus. it has subtitles or a bad dubing plus/minus. We know how people dislike reading subtitle and the bad dub might actually be to it's benifit sort of in the way people love Black Belt Jones and all those kung fu and spegetti westerns hhmmmm not sure.

Hot Tub Time Machine
Piranha 3-D
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
Watchmen
Afro Samurai

They'll all have some sort of cult following - Mega Shark already does.

'Pandorum' comes to mind. 'Black Dynamite' for sure.

I'd have to say, the films of Tarsem Singh, (The Cell, The Fall) They are so visually opulent, they tend to overpower what short coming they may have. A visual feast, as they say.

Brick (2005) has all the stylings of a cult flick.

Zombieland
Pineapple Express

TGP has basically no chance of being "appreciated" in any other form!

King of Couch Potatoes
I could definitely see Zombieland reaching a cult status, much like Shaun of the Dead. Piranha 3-D definitely is the type that could, those "monster movies" really cater becoming cult classics. The Human Centipede I could definitely see becoming one as well.

I would like to see Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon eventually hit cult status. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

If anything the original Piranha would have it over the new one just like with Little Shop Of Horrors. Or Bucket Of Blood (even though there's not a remake)

Humanoids From The Deep I never see mentioned

Deep blue sea...
Had to say it haha.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

Definitely this. There's a LOT that's unique and likable about it---all the sci-fi golden age references---but didn't seem to be so popular for some reason. I'm not sure if people just didn't "get" what it was going for... and I don't think it even takes a familiarity with the allusions either. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to contain just about everything you could imagine coming from a film of that type even though it certainly forces the issue to the extent that there is no truly authentic image. It is, in that sense, more sci-fi golden age than the sci-fi golden age itself. That's usually, I've found, the necessary form of these kinds of films that attempt to borrow or exploit the stylistic tropes of another genre or era. The most obvious other example would be Tarantino's films---how they are all highly suggestive of a certain genre---even going as far as to produce the same reactions---though, none of them specifically could ever be said to be in that genre themselves. But like I said, even without the semiotic framework that would allow this the title of satire or "time capsule" or whatever, the naive design style of the villains are quite elegant in themselves and the plot is just serious enough to actually be moved at certain points.

However, there's no denying that Southland Tales is already a cult film (don't know why, except for the Donnie Darko tie-in), but I find many cult films to be far worse than Southland Tales (maybe not "stupider", but less entertaining).
There are certain images... the van floating above the city for one... that work well for me. The ending itself, as in the last shot, also seemed pretty interesting to contemplate. There's a whole lot of nonsensical back and forth between the more inconsequential characters, but, like you said, it's still entertaining. The musical sequences did nothing for me though.

===

Speaking of ineffectual musical sequences, that just reminded of this highly flawed, but still enjoyable Julie Taymor film:

&feature=related

Haven't seen those films. I was thinking more like the Twilight Sagas.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Yay, a favourite thread!

Time for me to list more movies from recent years that I think have the potential to be cults for various reasons (and all movies I like of course *laugh*).

Eagle vs Shark (2007)
Fo' sho' a love it or hate it film, plus it's from New Zealand which gives it extra quirky cred.

Fanboys (2008)
Do I really need to explain why? A niche movie for a niche group.

Garden State (2004)
I'm particularly biased on this one at the mo' as it's currently my avatar on here . Regardless, I find a lot of people just haven't seen it, but those of us that have just adore it.

Juno (2007)
I know this was quite popular and won awards and such, but I think the cult status will be in its staying power and quotability.

To be honest I think it's going to be movies like Torque (2009) and xXx (2002) that are going to be the real cult movies. Like how old vintage Horror movies or movies like Piranha (1978) get dragged out out classic movie theatres. It's their crazyness/bad quality/tragicness that makes people want to see them again.

I mean look at Troll 2 (1990)

They made a documentary about that one!

Best Worst Movie (2009)

Anyway, that's my two cents for the mo'

Peace out.
zen.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."