Hollywood Reporter Critics Pick the 50 Best Films of the 21st Century

Tools    

Unless it's too late to say nice things about this list, I'm glad to see that Far from Heaven, The Gleaners and I and Yi Yi - which I still think is the best movie of this century so far - made it and that they haven't been lost in the shuffle considering their age.

I, too, was thrilled to see Far From Heaven on this list. Loved that movie and never thought it got the recognition it deserved.

What exactly makes it "out of touch" and why does it matter if it is? Guaporense highlighting films from the IMDb top 250 inadvertently makes a good argument for why being "in touch" with what mass audiences like doesn't necessarily give you the quote-unquote best films ever made, merely the most popular ones. I mean, the only 21st-century film you have in your top 10 is Taken - you obviously like it, but are you ever genuinely surprised that it doesn't end up on lists like this?

Nor would I expect TAKEN to be on the list. It's a personal favorite. I'm not pretentious enough to think it should be regarded universally. There is a theme to most of these films that would cater to foreign or target audiences, but it's pretentious to think everyone should be of the same mind, lest they be labeled mindless cavemen with no regard for humanity.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A few things:

First, I was running a movie message board in the immediate years after Mulholland Dr., and yeah, cinephiles loved that thing immediately. It got tons of love here and on other forums I was using at the time, too. I dunno about being a critical darling, or whatever, but it had rabid fans and defenders immediately.

Second, did I read right that this is based on...six people? Good grief. I can't imagine having any strong opinion, good or bad, about something like that. It's essentially meaningless, except insofar as intellectually lazy people decide it matters in the first place. Of course, getting people to argue about it is one of the ways that ostensibly happens.

Third, while I don't have any trouble believing the list has the slant in question, yeah, some of the one-word summaries of why they qualify are a huge, huge stretch, which others have already pointed out.

Many movies on Comcast (critic scores), Rotten Tomatoes, etc., have three "critics", hence the 66% I see a ton. But, as much as I've always looked into this, and followed it, those ratings could be what separates one from watching x movie, instead of y, and then forgetting about x, disregarding it because of a low score, perhaps. And if I would try it (I actually care more about the IMDB score), the minute I saw something silly, I'd think "I could be watching a better movie".

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow, somebody got banned. Must've been some really heavy stuff, then.

Talking about racism, I recently found out there's a Nazi forum on the public internet and it's still operating and it wasn't banned. I have no idea how that's possible. I guess it has its servers in a country like Djibouti or something, but that was still a surprising find. I kinda got there from reading about neo-Nazism and I got to Nazism from reading about Ancient Egypt. Yeah, Wikipedia article jumping gets you to some crazy places! Oh well, at least now I kinda understand some things about building pyramids I always misunderstood.

Back to the topic, there's no doubt the best list ever is that of my own. I recommend you guys check it out for a truly greatest-ever list. No politics at all! (Maybe except for favoritism of cute Asian girls but I wouldn't consider that racist!)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Nor would I expect TAKEN to be on the list. It's a personal favorite. I'm not pretentious enough to think it should be regarded universally. There is a theme to most of these films that would cater to foreign or target audiences, but it's pretentious to think everyone should be of the same mind, lest they be labeled mindless cavemen with no regard for humanity.
By that logic, doesn't every list of this nature deserve to be called pretentious regardless of whether or not its choices actually align with what general audiences want? Shouldn't a list that put up multiple Marvel/Disney/Pixar/whatever films as the best films of the century be considered just as presumptuous precisely because it disregards the breadth and depth of the cinematic art form in favour of some of the most popular and easily digestible films available? This list was made by a handful of people who said "this is what we we came up with based on our own consensus-based methodology" and a lot of supposedly unimpeachable classics missed the cut because not everyone liked them - doesn't the same thing happen every time the MovieForums community comes together to vote on a countdown?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't know why every time a list like this comes out some people are so astonished that it doesn't reflect their own personal idea of great cinema.

I actually think this is a pretty solid list. I've seen 38 of the 50 and a good few of the ones I haven't seen are on my must watch list.

I really like that Yi Yi is there at number one.

There are a few films I didn't care for that much like Bright Star, Weekend, Zodiac but I don't think any of them are bad films exactly.

There's a lot of crossover with our mofo lists just with a lot more documentaries.

By that logic, doesn't every list of this nature deserve to be called pretentious regardless of whether or not its choices actually align with what general audiences want? Shouldn't a list that put up multiple Marvel/Disney/Pixar/whatever films as the best films of the century be considered just as presumptuous precisely because it disregards the breadth and depth of the cinematic art form in favour of some of the most popular and easily digestible films available? This list was made by a handful of people who said "this is what we we came up with based on our own consensus-based methodology" and a lot of supposedly unimpeachable classics missed the cut because not everyone liked them - doesn't the same thing happen every time the MovieForums community comes together to vote on a countdown?
Yes. Every list is pretentious. You're right. The thing is of all the lists out there this one is the worst one I've seen to date because it's out of touch with reality, and reeks of Woke culture and Social Justice Warrior mentality, which is nothing less than ineffective cowardly pointing and whining. Not growth.

Yes. Every list is pretentious. You're right. The thing is of all the lists out there this one is the worst one I've seen to date because it's out of touch with reality, and reeks of Woke culture and Social Justice Warrior mentality, which is nothing less than impudent cowardly whining. Not growth.
And what exactly is "reality" supposed to mean in this context? Reality implies objectivity and these lists are always going to be subjective no matter what, so trying to appeal against it on those grounds is going to be flimsy. Of course, if you're just going to throw out the same blanket complaints about "woke culture" that Siddon did, then it's just going to beg the same question as to how many of these films you've actually seen and judged for yourself. After all, you already acknowledged that part of the point of lists like this is to potentially provide new titles to check out (as opposed to simply confirming your existing opinions) so maybe it's better to ask if the films you haven't seen might actually belong on there.

And what exactly is "reality" supposed to mean in this context? Reality implies objectivity and these lists are always going to be subjective no matter what, so trying to appeal against it on those grounds is going to be flimsy. Of course, if you're just going to throw out the same blanket complaints about "woke culture" that Siddon did, then it's just going to beg the same question as to how many of these films you've actually seen and judged for yourself. After all, you already acknowledged that part of the point of lists like this is to potentially provide new titles to check out (as opposed to simply confirming your existing opinions) so maybe it's better to ask if the films you haven't seen might actually belong on there.
The very few I've seen don't belong on there. I liked Black Panther and Spirited Away, but both are movies of fantasy with no reality in them whatsoever. BP isn't even the best Marvel movie, and I absolutely know my source material there better than these self appointed geniuses that made this list.

I'll be objective though, tell me which of these movies listed are true stories and I'll make a point to watch them.

The very few I've seen don't belong on there. I liked Black Panther and Spirited Away, but both are movies of fantasy with no reality in them whatsoever. BP isn't even the best Marvel movie, and I absolutely know my source material there better than these self appointed geniuses that made this list.

I'll be objective though, tell me which of these movies listed are true stories and I'll make a point to watch them.
I do have to admit that when you complained about this list being "out of touch with reality", I didn't expect you to mean that quite so literally. Even so, I would think that the vast majority of these films (that I've seen, anyway - 45/50 as of writing) being grounded in the real world would be sufficient even if they're not literally based on real events.

Still, if you insist...

Time (documentary)
Bright Star (based on John Keats)
Grizzly Man (documentary)
Summer of Soul (documentary)
I Am Not Your Negro (documentary)
The Favourite (based on Queen Anne)
The Social Network (based on Mark Zuckerberg)
Marie Antoinette (based on...take a wild guess)
At Berkeley (documentary)
Zodiac (based on the Zodiac Killer)
The Gleaners and I (documentary)

Some of the challenges ("tell me which films don't belong") aren't entirely reasonable. If you saw a Top 100 Films of All Time list and every single one was by a director named Robert, you could safely conclude that some of them were chosen for that reason rather than by virtue of their quality, even if you didn't know exactly which ones.

By all means, argue about the list and encourage people to evaluate the films on their merits and all that, but that's kind of a different conversation than talking about whether, in aggregate, we can detect a thumb on the scale. Have both arguments, if you want, but let's not confuse or conflate them.

Also, I'm inherently wary of counterarguments that resemble homework assignments, IE: you have to watch this to talk even generally about the topic, or you have to rewatch this with my argument in mind before disagreeing with it, etc.

If a critic were to argue a film is a good film explicitly because it is (for example) a gay positive film, and makes absolutely no other note of how it communicates those elements with some kind of quality or clarity, that would definitely be an extremely bad critic. And while I wouldn't say that never happens, I honestly don't think that is something that happens very often.
I don't, either, but I also wouldn't expect it to. I would expect it to influence the review in subtle, unstated ways, which is worse. "I liked this film because it leads towards X social goal" is at least transparent and each person can decide for themselves if they care about that as part of the criticism. The problem is when you get this ersatz criticism where it's just sort of folded in with cinematography or whatever or treated as just another totally normal filmic criticism consideration, as opposed to something the writer just cares about personally.

I think we should be able to agree that "just comes out and admits it has nothing to do with the quality of the film" is an implausible standard. If what we're talking about exists, it's not generally going to take that form, and doesn't have to in order to be a problem/reasonable to be annoyed by.

At most I think these elements may predispose some members of an audience into liking a film, maybe even more than it 'deserves'. Or that they might believed that its perceived social good merits them a little nudge into loftier critical territory. And while those elements may be defined fairly as a bias, I don't think they are anymore of a bias than someone preferring a fast paced film over a slowly paced film, or a beautifully shot film over a amateurishly shot film, or one genre over another. Our biases always factor heavily into making a list of favorite or best films. It is completely unavoidable (the only factor that I think sort of reduces the idea of personal bias is to lean heavily on the notion of a films broader influence on the art form....but then we are just replacing our own biases with a general consensus biases of what has resonated with audiences and other artists the most....so its still a bias that is going to be affected by our politics and our social mores)
I'm not sure if I agree. A bias within the medium of filmmaking strikes me as completely different than a bias outside of it. Hence my example: "I think romcoms are inherently insipid" might be a reasonable critical posture, but "I disliked this romcom because my personal relationship failures soured me on the entire idea of romance" obviously isn't. Both are a "bias," but one is about film and one is about the specific person, and therefore one is potentially useful to others and the other is just journaling in public.

Ultimately, it's how a critic communicates their response to a film that matters. And even in situations where the politics or the themes of the movie may factor heavily into how they rank them on a list like this, as long as they can illustrate why those elements make the films matter, and how those elements were done better in these films than another films, they have done their job (whether I think most critics are actually doing their job is another matter, which is yet another resentment I have towards everything that has happened in this thread, because I never want to be arguing on behalf modern critics who do not deserve me going to bat for them....they are uniformly terrible)
Yes, and per the above, I would never expect any of these things to manifest in such a clumsy, obvious way, and they don't have to for the problem in question to exist and be worth noticing.

I'm sure you've noticed the inverse of this, where someone gives a surprisingly critical review to a film and you strongly suspect it's because they didn't like whatever progressive message it has. And you were probably right to suspect that even though the writers of such things are usually cagey enough not to just come out and say it. If they're even aware that that's what's happening.

And I will add to this, if we are really concerned with shitty 'social good' movies getting added to these kinds of lists under false pretenses (which I'll repeat, we shouldn't be), the solution to this is for their to be more of them. The reason shitty ones are rising to the top of the class is because certain audience members are so hungry for ANY type of representation, they might fall in love with the most pandering hunk of bullshit on earth just in order to have a film to fall in love with. The more gay (or black or trans or female or whatever) themed films you have, the more you force people to have critical distinctions between which of them are actually good and which can be immediately forgotten.
I agree with all this, and I think it's starting to happen. There was a little flare-up over Bros, a gay romantic comedy heralded as a landmark in the genre, which most critics seem to think was pretty bad, and whose creator (Billy Eichner, who I've found sporadically hilarious, for the record) clumsily tried to suggest was down to some anti-gay bias. He didn't get very far. And of course we then get think pieces, one of which insightfully said something very much like what you just did: that it was actually a really good sign that someone could make a movie like that and have it evaluated primarily as a movie first.

Because it seems you are aware you have better things in life to be worried about. Which is the healthy way to live life.
Agreed. As broken as the world is, if someone finds themselves mad all the time, they simply have the wrong posture towards it. But I'm not going to fall into the trap of thinking people being too angry or fixated on something means it isn't there. If I did, I wouldn't think anything was real, because there's always someone too angry about every problem, and fixating on those people and their overreactions is a very clever way for smart people to dismiss real concerns.

But is that is what is happening here? These threads continually devolve into posters simply not believing other people can love these movies.
I think there's an important distinction here: it is manifestly ridiculous to look at a film on one of these lists and say "I can't believe anyone loves this." It's obviously way less ridiculous to say "a very large number of these films espouse a socially progressive viewpoint, I can't believe all of them are on here on the merits." It's kind of a paradox: you can't reasonably and stringently object to any one film, necessarily, as unloveable, but you can say the tilt in aggregate is implausible.

This angle makes a genuine conversation about film (or, really, anything) an impossibility. They've decided anything I or anyone else says in regards to that films quality is based on some kind of collective dishonesty. Which allows them to bat away any defense of it as essentially being a lie (just look at the Sight and Sound, Jeanne Dielman conversation a few months back.....I and many others went out of our way to explain why we loved that film, but none of this was ever responded to, all we got was more conspiracy laden nonsense about how no one can really like it, and we were just towing some SJW line for championing it).
I dunno, I gave a response that I thought was pretty substantive and attempted to seriously explain why someone might have an objection to it for reasons that were purely about cinematic appreciation. And that reply, too, was based largely around the implications of putting out these lists, and the implied contract critics have with everyone else when they rank or rate things.

I think part of the problem here is that the people criticizing these lists are given the unfair and unrealistic task of singling out things that they're observing in general. Or the task of articulating implications that we all probably understood were there, but are suddenly treated as imagined because they're not legalistically spelled out.

We also can't entirely separate our personal experiences, or the kind of day we are having, from our experience with a film. So in some ways, it is a bit of a lie to completely remove these elements from the conversation.
I agree we can't entirely separate our personal experiences, but I'd argue it's the job of a critic to, on some level, attempt it. And in the same way "art is subjective!" is a lousy defense for a poorly-considered or lazy opinion, "criticism is necessarily personal sometimes!" is a lousy defense for unmoored and idiosyncratic criticism.

Now, the example you give is a fairly egregious example of this, and shouldn't be tolerated in a professional critic. But there is also plenty of grey area here and what a critic can do when life may be clouding their critical sensibilities. Pauline Kael wrote a fairly famous review of Shoeshine that is a decent example of this. Explains she saw the movie after a vicious fight with her boyfriend at the time and by the time she left the film was sobbing hysterically. Mentions how her boyfriend walked off and watched the same film that night and also found himself leaving the movie in tears. And while she makes attempts to explain what about the film moved her, she also insinuates that she can't be entirely certain how much of her tears were spilled because of the film and how much were because of what had just happened to her relationship. She is zoning in on that space where life and art intermingle and how they can't ever fully be separated. And maybe this is the exact spot where the alchemic magic of art really sparkles. She is talking about film as if it is that river you can only step in once. Our experiences with film change, even if they fundamentally remain exactly the same. The movie experience is about that moment in our lives of watching that movie. It's never really just about the movie.
I think that's a great example of why Pauline Kael was a tremendous critic: she had the self-awareness to recognize that possibility, and the humility to articulate it, rather than the arrogance to just put her reaction out there as if it were valid and relevant to others just because she'd had it.

Yes. And there are lots of bad lists from critics who we should hope should know better. But I still have trouble understanding why, even with that empty 'official' stamp, why a terrible list matters that much. Like, I get that it's depressing to see when they are particularly bad, and I get particularly distressed when I think of some critics getting a paycheck for their shit opinions and their shit explanations, but there are always going to be bad takes. Bad lists. Bad reviews. How we respond to them is what matters. Finding a critical way to show our dissent. Not evoke cabals and conspiracy theories to explain how the rest of the world might not agree with us.
I dunno, I have a natural disinclination to audit other people's attention. It falls into "whataboutism" so easily. At some extremes we have to ask the question, but the first thing I'm asking myself is if there's anything to what they're saying. Sometimes they're just taking a bad-but-not-awful thing and unloading on it because they see it as emblematic of a lot of other stuff, or they see it as the camel's nose under the tent, or what have you. And I can't confidently say any of that is unreasonable.

I do think there is a meaningful, material difference between bad opinions about film and bad opinions about how to value film. About how we evaluate art in total. I know you understand this because you've had many forceful arguments about that exact topic, albeit from another angle.

I agree in general that caring about bad takes and bad lists is a poor use of one's time for the most part, though. But then you could argue 90% of this site is built on people caring way too much about someone else's opinion. Anyway, it's the imprimatur stuff that's really the issue here. It's an established publication putting out a press release declaring such-and-such that obviously lands different.

And if any of this was gobbledee gook, my apologies. I had to write this quickly before tending to some life shit and had no time to look it over, which is usually essential when it comes to the word vomit I generally spew in these conversations.
Nope, it was perfectly coherent, and a pleasure as always to read and consider.

I do have to admit that when you complained about this list being "out of touch with reality", I didn't expect you to mean that quite so literally. Even so, I would think that the vast majority of these films (that I've seen, anyway - 45/50 as of writing) being grounded in the real world would be sufficient even if they're not literally based on real events.

Still, if you insist...

Time (documentary)
Bright Star (based on John Keats)
Grizzly Man (documentary)
Summer of Soul (documentary)
I Am Not Your Negro (documentary)
The Favourite (based on Queen Anne)
The Social Network (based on Mark Zuckerberg)
Marie Antoinette (based on...take a wild guess)
At Berkeley (documentary)
The Gleaners and I (documentary)
LOL! Thank you. I'll make a point to see these. Tell me a great story which doesn't have an agenda, and that could move me. I have seen Social Network, it was good, but hardly a masterpiece imo.

it's the imprimatur stuff that's really the issue here. It's an established publication putting out a press release declaring such-and-such that obviously lands different.
And this is where I trot out my oft-repeated and usually-ignored plea for society to stop ranking works of art. Change the title of this piece from "50 Greatest Films of the Century" to "50 Films That We Think Deserve Some Attention" and how would it affect our reactions? The former puts the reader on the defensive if their list doesn't match THR's. "How can it be the best if I didn't like it?" While the latter is much easier for us to ignore if we so choose and get on with our lives. Granted, "easily-ignored" is not something publishers are striving for, so I get it. I just wish it would stop.

The Starry Night vs The Scream : Which painting loses, and by how many points? The entire concept is ludicrous to me.

(I say this while fully conceding that countdowns are this site's most popular events, so don't take this as me putting anyone down. I'm aware that people enjoy it and it's going to keep happening, even though you're all wrong for doing so. One day my philosophy will catch on, and I'll be recognized as the forward-thinking trendsetter I am.)

Also, I think it's funny/interesting that very few of us encounter a countdown full of unfamiliar films and think "I haven't even heard of these.
Maybe I have shitty taste in movies and should work on that".
Not picking on anyone here specifically, because it's obviously a universal thing. A psychologist could probably tell us why that is. I don't have a point here, it just makes me chuckle.

And this is where I trot out my oft-repeated and usually-ignored plea for society to stop ranking works of art. Change the title of this piece from "50 Greatest Films of the Century" to "50 Films That We Think Deserve Some Attention" and how would it affect our reactions? The former puts the reader on the defensive if their list doesn't match THR's. "How can it be the best if I didn't like it?" While the latter is much easier for us to ignore if we so choose and get on with our lives. Granted, "easily-ignored" is not something publishers are striving for, so I get it. I just wish it would stop.
This is a good point, and I think the fact that these lists so often forego this easy, deescalating option demonstrates that they're designed to rile people up. I think everyone involved, on some level, knows what they're doing and is incentivized to keep doing it.

Very often the responses are in bad faith, but pretty often the lists themselves are, too. And there's lots of stock excuses chambered, wherein a deliberately constructed outrage lightning rod will be framed as valuable and meaningful because it "gets people talking."

LOL! Thank you. I'll make a point to see these. Tell me a great story which doesn't have an agenda, and that could move me. I have seen Social Network, it was good, but hardly a masterpiece imo.
Another questionable metric. Great films can have quote-unquote agendas - Citizen Kane criticises a wealthy man who manipulates the press for his own ends, Casablanca is about an apolitical cynic taking a stance against the Nazis, Jaws is about a police chief being unable to keep a small town safe because of its greedy mayor, and so forth. Every film is about something, after all, and that something has to be rooted in our understanding of our own reality in order to have any impact on us (even the slightest of films). I can understand disliking a film if it's too didactic about its politics - I've done that even for films where I might actually agree with the politics in question - but I don't assume that a film has no agenda whatsoever just because it's not screaming its politics in my face and/or I happen to enjoy it.

But sure, go ahead and watch those films. I'm sure you won't find any agendas.

I don't care about list, other than our MoFo countdown list...I don't even make my own Top Movie list, too much work. But just now I looked at this Best Films of the 21st Century list. I'd say it looks like a pretty solid list to me but bear in mind I've only seen 20 of the movies and didn't like them all.

Just for fun I've seen these and I've linked my past reviews where I could.

'Pan’s Labyrinth' (2006)...Fantasy part was great, the harsh war part not.

'Wendy and Lucy' (2008)Love this!
+
'The Favourite' (2018) Hated it,

'The Social Network' (2010) Mediocre

'Manchester by the Sea' (2016) I must like Michelle Williams, second movie of hers to appear here.

'Marie Antoinette' (2006) Liked it and I like Sofia Coppola as a director,
'Y Tu Mamá También' (2001) Not really my type of film but well made and shot nicely.

'Far From Heaven' (2002) Apparently @Torgo recommend this one for me. I liked it too

'Shoplifters' (2018) Enjoyed this refreshingly different but grounded film

'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (2004)...After almost 20 years I hardly remember this film, I recall liking it.
'Wall-E' (2008) Loved half of it and was annoyed by the other half.
++
'Moonlight' (2016) Liked everything but the end scene. Not sure why this skinny picked on kid grew up to be so muscle bound.

'Boyhood' (2014) If any film was ground breaking it was this one.

'In the Mood for Love' (2000) One of the best reviews I've written (IMO). It's not long but give it a look.

'Spirited Away' (2001) I don't care for animated movies and the fact that I gave this a
says something!
'Mulholland Drive' (2001) Liked it except for the more convoluted trippy mind stuff, not a fan of that when it goes overboard.
'Zodiac' (2007) Flat out hated this, read my review if you want to know why.

Yeah I saw Zodiac too and thought it gross, shallow, indulgent in its sadism, and overall mediocre.

Zodiac hate? Strange. I thought that was beloved.