The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

OK, we're in the big day when number one of the countdown is to be announced.
Before that, I'd pull out one more card from my ballot:

My #12. Mandariinid [Tangerines] (2013)
An Estonian-Georgian Production

Written and Directed by Zaza Urushadze
Starring Lembit Ulfsak

An Oscar award nominee (foreign language movie), this title impressed me a lot when I saw it for the first time back then. A proof how a skillful filmmaker can produce superb work without huge budget, just a few actors and idea.
Covering a noted regional conflict in the Caucasus area, it is a hell of a drama, yet type of an antiwar movie focused on couple of people who desperately try to care for the tangerines crop at a place in-between politically-religious fights.

Alas, despite the fact that someone nominated it in the Group Watch and many people expressed their satisfaction (it was a lock for my ballot long before that), it didn't appear even in the near misses 101-130, something I've hoped for...
I nominated this one. I love the film but it just missed out on my list.

My list:

1. Maps to the Stars (Cronenberg, 2014)
2. Burning (Chang-Dong, 2018)
3. And Everything Is Going Fine (Soderbergh, 2010)
4. It's Such a Beautiful Day (Hertzfeldt, 2012)
5. Womb (Barlow, 2017)
6. Baseball: The Tenth Inning (Burns, 2010)
7. Jackass 3.5 (Tremaine, 2011)
8. Right Now, Wrong Then (Sang-Soo, 2015)
9. Fantasmas (Oliveira, 2010)
10. Cameraperson (Johnson, 2016)
11. Sleep Has Her House (Barlow, 2017)
12. The Color Wheel (Perry, 2011)
13. First Reformed (Schrader, 2018)
14. Like Father, Like Son (Kore-Eda, 2013)
15. Jackass 3D (Tremaine, 2010)
16. 63 Up (Apted, 2019)
17. The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, 2011)
18. Nocturama (Bonello, 2016)
19. Moneyball (Miller, 2011)
20. Keep an Eye Out (Dupieux, 2018)
21. The Endless Film (Listorti, 2018)
22. Melancholia (Trier, 2011)
23. About Endlessness (Anderson, 2019)
24. Hinterlands (Barlow, 2016)
25. The Colony (Neshat, 2019)
That's a good list. Nice mix to it. Lovely to see 'Like Father, Like Son' get a mention.

My list:

1. Maps to the Stars (Cronenberg, 2014)
10. Cameraperson (Johnson, 2016)
13. First Reformed (Schrader, 2018)
Good to see these three mentioned. Maps to the Stars was another very last cut.

Welcome to the human race...
Wow. How many movies a day do you usually watch? I watch one movie a day and I've seen less than half of the films on the countdown.
I usually average two a day with an approximate new watch/rewatch ratio of 2:1. Perhaps it's just a matter of you not seeing as many 2010s films specifically.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I mean, you can watch 8 movies a day and just not watch any movies post 2009, so that you get 0/100 on this countdown.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Whiplash was my number one film of the decade. Something about a teacher struggling to find his Buddy Rich and the young student who helps him reach his dream speaks to me. I can watch this movie anytime and most of it is due to J.K Simmons performance. It's one of my favorites of all time. Get done watching this and something inside me tells me I need buy some insurance.

Not much of a Wes Anderson fan. I had seen everything up until Mr. Fox and didn't like any of them. For some odd reason, I gave Moonrise Kingdom a go and really liked it. I mean really liked it. Then came The Grand Budapest Hotel and I wasn't all to eager to see that one, figuring Moonrise was the exception and this was going to be another slog. After watching it, Budapest was just as good, maybe a smidge better than Moonrise, so I gave this one the nod. The chase scene may be one of the funniest moments of the last decade - or this:
It was on my ballot at number 14.

When this is all done I will have seen 76 of the 100 and it looks to stay that way for awhile.

Welcome to the human race...
I mean, you can watch 8 movies a day and just not watch any movies post 2009, so that you get 0/100 on this countdown.
Ah yes, the matt72582 method.

(Speaking of which, he apparently did submit a list but from the looks of it he hasn't posted in this thread once. Very curious to see what he picked.)

My list: Seen 98/100, not in a hurry to see the Raid films, but maybe a martial art marathon is in order at some point. Ended up with 16 making the list, which is actually a little low for this normie. Did have 5 in the top 10 though, which is much more than normal.

1. The Tree of Life (2011)
2. The Master (2012)
3. The Social Network (2010)
4. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
5. Foxcatcher (2014) Wish people loved this as much as I do. Miller is my jam and often wish he directed more. Moneyball is fantastic as well.
6. La La Land (2016)
7. Shoplifters (2018)
8. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) Glad I rewatched this before the countdown or it may have been a casualty of time. Amazing cinematography. Another director I seem to love more than most.
9. Another Year (2010) I am in the minority with this being my favorite Leigh by quite a stretch. Such wonderfully endearing characters.
10. The Turin Horse (2011)
11. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
12. Silence (2016)
13.Poetry (2010) Tried to get this one in the list by nominating it in the decade watch thread. Felt like it almost worked. I think it dwarves Burning, but maybe it was missing Walking Dead stunt casting.
14. The Favourite (2018)
15. American Hustle (2013) Russell still works for me. Glad to see him represented by Silver Linings. This is the superior film though.
16. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
17. The Revenant (2015)
18. Frances Ha (2013) Maybe the movie on my list I am most surprised didn't place. this is also my biggest mea culpa of the decade. I didn't like it the first time but have loved it the >3 viewings since. Baumbach rocks.
19. The Farewell (2019) Such a melancholy celebration of humanity. Couldn't not be on my list despite being overdue for a rewatch.
20. The Descendants (2011)
21. Melancholia (2011)
22. A Separation (2011)
23. Shame (2011) I think this is the only first time watch I did specifically for the list and it landed on it. Mostly watched because I thought it would be on the list, because I knew it would be an uncomfortable watch. It was, but it is also probably the best movie about addiction I have ever watched. His movies aren't easy, so I probably dismiss McQueen too easily. I also love 12 Years despite only seeing it once.
24. Ex Machina (2015)
25. Asako I & II (2018) Down a Hamaguchi rabbit hole I went when Drive My Car became all the rage early last year. Despite really liking everything I saw, this one emerged as the easy favorite. Fantastic characters. Has that art house sensibility of being a mystery, but not exactly, because the plot doesn't matter all that much. I love that style of writing and usually really respond to it.

8. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) Glad I rewatched this before the countdown or it may have been a casualty of time. Amazing cinematography. Another director I seem to love more than most.
A late cut of mine. Nice to see someone voted for it. As for the director, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, I've seen five of his films and they all get pretty good to great ratings from me.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

436 points, 25 lists
Mad Max: Fury Road
Director

George Miller, 2015

Starring

Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Keays-Byrne

521 points, 32 lists
Parasite
Director

Bong Joon-ho, 2019

Starring

Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik

The Movie Forums Podcast

The Top 100 of the 2010s List Podcast

A quick little peek behind the scenes with first-time list Curator @SpelingError on surprises, lessons learned, and paying tribute to mark f.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

The Movie Forums Podcast

The Top 100 of the 2010s List Podcast

A quick little peek behind the scenes with first-time list Curator @SpelingError on surprises, lessons learned, and paying tribute to mark f.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:
Okay, so I usually wouldn't do this since I have some anxieties with the way my voice sounds, but since you guys are all cool, I figured I'd do it.

Also, I threw together a fun little tool to streamline the post-countdown sharing process (and alleviate the post-countdown depression):

Your Ballot Results

You can do a couple of things with this:
  • See all your films and where they ranked (NOTE: does not handle tiebreakers, so it's just a general range for some). Threw in some little stats about how many made various cutoffs, and automatically calculated each person's highest and lowest-ranked entry.
  • Easily grab some bbCode you can copy and paste into a post to share your ballot.

Mad Max: Fury Road was also #37 on the MoFo Top 100 Science Fiction Films list while Parasite finished as #3 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Whoa, surprise, surprise! Two worthy choices to end the list...

Parasite has been a favorite ever since I saw it. I've seen it twice, and the second time I ended up loving it more. Bong has a unique talent to walk that fine line between comedy and drama, and still make it work. Here he tackles again the topic of class and economical structures, in a way that feels "light", "fun", "tragic", and "sad", all at the same time. Great direction, great performances, and although it is not my favorite Bong, it is definitely his second best.

Mad Max: Fury Road is one that I just saw in December for the first time after much pushing and harassing from multiple people but it was definitely worth it. I still don't think it would've made my list, but I really appreciated the way it went all-in with the action. There's a relentlessness to how events unfold and Miller gives you little to no time to rest from the get-go, and that keeps you pumped all the way as the film goes. But aside from the action and the direction, most of the characters are likable and easy to root for. I think Nicholas Hoult's is the most interesting character to watch here, but Hardy does a great job with the always stoic Max.

Trivia

Mad Max: Fury Road - Over eighty percent of the effects seen in the film are practical effects, including stunts, make-up, and sets. CGI was used sparingly, mainly to enhance the Namibian landscape, remove stunt rigging, and for Imperator Furiosa's (Charlize Theron) left arm, which is a prosthetic limb.
Parasite - According to editor Jinmo Yang, he edited the film in Final Cut Pro 7 - an editing program that Apple stopped supporting in 2011, on a computer that hasn't had a software update since 2014. He received an Oscar nomination for his work.

Reply to Topic