Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shazam (2019)

Still a 3/5 after a rewatch. Most of the jokes land, but a few miss. A bit too much time is spent developing story, which leads to a long run time. An overall fun watch though.

Three Colours Red (1994)

This still moves the bones of me. I don't even know if it was meant to be meaningful but it is to me. Flawless I'd say.

I bought the box set on Blu-Ray last week, couldn't help myself. An amazing end to an a amazing trilogy.

Origin: Spirits of the Past (2006)

A very impressive display of animation and very good direction. However, the writing is really cliche (a lot of elements straight up copy and paste from Miyazaki's movies) and the characters are really bland. Still has some substantial "gravitas".

7/10

Welcome to the human race...
Bad Boys II -

Good God, I think this stupid movie is growing on me.

This is one of the movies that would've kept getting bumped down my NF queue for years if I had actually been paying attention to the queue. I wasn't, so they sent it and I prepared a bowl of cauliflower and celery with some blue cheese dressing, a couple Coors Lights and sat down to watch it.

What was good? There's potential for future Aquaman stuff mostly because Jason Momoa is so likeable, it's been awhile since I've seen Dolph in a film so that was nice, some of the underwater scenes, especially the cities, looked pretty nifty, Amber Heard and her swimsuit looked pretty nifty, the cauliflower and celery was about as good as it gets and I was reminded to update my NF queue. The bad: too long, thought the fight scenes were a tad dull, with the exception of the undwerwater setting everything else had a been there done that feeling, Patrick Wilsons bad guy was like the Coors Light, watered down/uninteresting/bland.

Mystery Train (1989)

A relatively early film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, it features off-beat comedy, unusual scenarios, and his patented sparse dialogue (with the silence in between seemingly as important as the spoken word).

It features 3 episodes which are slowly tied together, almost as a musical chord-- the notes of each unaware of the others. The third episode was a bit ponderous, pushed along by a then characteristic performance by Steve Buscemi. Yet it was all tied up in the end by the movie backing out from where it started.

Performances of note were the delightful Yuki Kudo, whose ditzy character put me in mind of several memorable Japanese actresses who lamentably have appeared then disappeared from U.S. films. "Screamin' Jay" Hawkins did a nice turn as the night clerk, in an understated and quirky fashion.

This is one of those pictures that provides plenty of laughs, but also keeps popping into one's mind the day after its viewing.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Three Colours Red (1994)

This still moves the bones of me. I don't even know if it was meant to be meaningful but it is to me. Flawless I'd say.

My favourite of the trilogy.

The Freshman (1925)

I watched this because it's on the top 100 laughs list. It was my first Harold Lloyd movie, and based on this one movie I wouldn't put him anywhere near the class of Chaplin or Keaton. I didn't find him or it that funny, but I did enjoy it as an underdog story.

Tales That Witness Madness (1973) – 6/10

An anthology film and a strange one at that, more because of the cast than anything else. One of the barriers to full enjoyment is an unfortunate tendency to post-sync dialogue in places, where the mouths and the words are rarely in total harmony.

My favourite of the stories is Mel, which stars Michael Jayston and Joan Collins and involves a man

WARNING: spoilers below
starting to prefer a piece of wood to his own wife .

Peter McEnery impressed me in Penny Farthing because he made the scenario so authentic and believable – so much so that I was reminded of The Entity (1982), which is no bad thing. I was conscious a lot of the time of how the film might be remade today and what could be improved. For example

the expressions of Uncle Albert's haunted portrait desperately needed more stills to fully come alive

Luau is very good at times, especially the

viscerally brutal murder of Ginny.

I understand that Rita Hayworth was originally going to play the mother but for ill health. It would have been great to see her but I reasoned that Kim Novak fitted the bill more, particularly as the mother of Mary Tamm's character. Novak is very over-the-top physically, with a lot of arm waving and theatricality – not to say that the character shouldn't have been like this to some degree, and I thought the post-syncing could be said to exacerbate the sense of overplay.

Donald Pleasence attracted me to the film as I am more and more interested in him as a character actor. Here he is very low-key and the subtlety is deafening . I recently saw some of the 1962 film Doctor Crippen, where he appears alongside Samantha Eggar, and this is almost a snapshot of that brilliant role.

Based on the truth.. and lies.
Independence day 1996

3/5
I thought it was goofy def not what I expected. Was entertaining though prob won't watch again just saying

From Dusk Till Dawn
Robert Rodriguez

Eh, didn't do much for me. As opposed to a lot of people (or so it seems), I really enjoyed the first half of the movie and disliked the surprising direction of the second half. An entertaining movie nonetheless.

The Farewell
Lulu Wang

I must admit I don't really understand the hype around this movie. The acting is great and the story is touching, sure, but it just felt like a very bland movie overall.

Avengers : Age Of Ultron
Joss Whedon

When it comes to superhero movies it's usually a hit or miss for me. I really liked the direction Marvel took with the first installment of Avengers and the first Thor movie, but this sequel just lacks direction. I guess some of it can be excused by the amazing CGI, but it's pretty much a standard nowadays for superhero flicks.

From Dusk Till Dawn : Texas Blood Money
Scott Spiegel

A much unneeded sequel, but it's surprisingly fun! It sucks as a film, but it's definitely fun.

The Lobster
Yorgos Lanthimos

This one's a rewatch for me. Definitely liked this more on my second viewing. Colin Farrell is truly amazing in this!

'Parasite' (2019)

Dir.: Bong Joon-Ho

Fantastically shot with clever camera positions and well thought out set design. Joon Ho's latest was awarded the Palm D'Or at Cannes and you can see why. His previous films have had something to say about societal structures, norms and practices. This is no different with issues if materialism / class boundaries at play. There's also nods to South Korea's relationship with the North and the USA.

There are a couple of moments that rely on the viewer suspending their belief (the final act is a bit much) but the film isn't supposed to be a literal tale - more a figurative piece. The direction of this film is absolutely magical, even if the sum of it's parts doesn't quite live up to the hype.

It gets a 7.5 / 10

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Gwen (2019) (William McGregor)
Young woman in 1800s Wales fights the horrors of both man and nature to keep her family together and their farm when the father is away on military duty and the mother develops epilepsy. A powerful performance by Eleanor Worthington-Cox drives this film that delivers a hell of a twist finale.

Chopping Mall (1986) (Jim Wynorski)
An underrated 80's sci-fi/horror hybrid involving mall security robots who malfunction after a lighting storm causes them to target a group of teens who work in the mall that decide to spend the night there and party. Some nice inventive deaths and great job by the likes of Kelli Maroney, Tony O'Dell, and Barbara Crampton.

Gwen (2019) (William McGregor)
Young woman in 1800s Wales fights the horrors of both man and nature to keep her family together and their farm when the father is away on military duty and the mother develops epilepsy. A powerful performance by Eleanor Worthington-Cox drives this film that delivers a hell of a twist finale.

What twist do you mean at the end?

Ouija (Stiles White, 2014)

Helps put the "poo" in "spooky"

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Mike Flanagan, 2016)

Definitely has far more spirit to it than its predecessor

Welcome to the human race...
[center]As opposed to a lot of people (or so it seems), I really enjoyed the first half of the movie and disliked the surprising direction of the second half.
Nah, I definitely get the impression that more people dislike the sudden twist than not. Myself, I don't think the first half is anything special so I'm not disappointed when it changes (and would give it a lower rating as well).

Speaking of better second halves...

Kill Bill Vol. 1 -

Kill Bill Vol. 2 -