Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

Hobson's Choice (1954)

The once again fantastic Charles Laughton plays an alcoholic widower with 3 daughters. When the time comes for them to marry, he refuses to let the eldest daughter Maggie, due to her being so important to his bootmaking business, however with her being brought up by her business-savvy father, she has her own ideas that cause a power struggle in the Hobson household.

Excellent comedy from David Lean.

++

First of all, hello to everyone and happy new year. Hope y'all guys got a sweet holiday

Now, let's get this started

Do you believe?

Overall (can't start this without saying this ), a very well-made, action-packed Christian movie.

Back then when I had loved God's not Dead (the first viewing), I started looking for Pure Flix and learned of the existence of this film. I had the opportunity to see this movie a few days ago.

I have to say this movie is really different from the near-torture thing that is God's not Dead. The elements in this movie are way better place and handled and the acting, even though isn't top-notch, is still pretty good. Also,
WARNING: "Do you Believe?" spoilers below
the car crash scene was very well-handled since it took all the stories at the same place.

Now, the flaws. I have to admit there weren't a lot of those in the movie. Still, I had a hard time understanding that the firefighter's wife is thee same person as the veteran's sister. There was a little personality problem there since she seemed super-Christian when with her brother and then quite agnostic when with her husband. Except that, I can't really think of anything else.

As of the ending,
WARNING: "Do you Believe?" spoilers below
I really appreciated the fact that the guy "came back", it did the happy ending you'd expect from Christian movies.

This movie was way better than God's not Dead and I think is very underrated for being a Christian movie. In all honesty, I give this movie a

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Hobson's Choice (1954)

The once again fantastic Charles Laughton plays an alcoholic widower with 3 daughters. When the time comes for them to marry, he refuses to let the eldest daughter Maggie, due to her being so important to his bootmaking business, however with her being brought up by her business-savvy father, she has her own ideas that cause a power struggle in the Hobson household.

Excellent comedy from David Lean.

++
I don't think I've seen this one. Looks very, very worthwhile.

Care for some gopher?
Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935) -

River of No Return (Otto Preminger, 1954) -
+

Mission: Impossible (Brian De Palma, 1996) -
+

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton/Lee Unkrich, 2003) -

Monsters University (Don Scanlon, 2013) -

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Great movies, Max! Rarely see such love for the first Mission Impossible - bravo!

Magic in the Moonlight
++ Plays out VERY much like an old time Hollywood film very wonderfully. Some truly beautiful scenery and a solid cast to back up Colin Firth and Emma Stone.
I've rather enjoyed seeing Emma get away from the mainstream films recently and doing so well in them. YAY for her.

Care for some gopher?
Rarely see such love for the first Mission Impossible
Really? I always thought this movie was well-regarded.

Captain America : The Winter Soldier
Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
An entertaining movie, and a better installment than The First Avenger. Chris Evans also did a much better job than in the previous episode. The special effects are great ; however, the script is really predictable and doesn't bring anything new to the table. A fun watch, but nothing more than that.

I watched a movie called Smile (1975) - on TCM On-Demand.

It wasn't an over-the-top zany comedy, but more a subtle satire about teen beauty pageants with several good chuckle moments.
Its strength lies in its subtlety as many bits of cleverness go right by without being noticed.
I found it brought back memories of life in the mid-seventies.

The cast contained many recognizable faces from the era's TV & movies.
Bruce Dern plays a local used-car-salesman & pageant judge - he is so understated in his raw ability to act without seeming to act. He can convey indescribable levels of emotion simply with a look in his eyes & angle of his head (this goes for all his roles).
Barbara Feldon has a rare movie role as the pageant director.
But what's neat is the fledgling actresses: Annette O'Toole & Joan Plather seem to be the two who carry the story from the contestants' POV. (Some may remember Plather as playing David's wife from Eight is Enough.) Melanie Griffith appears in an early role - I think she is the girl caught topless in a photograph taken by a teenage boy (Eric Shea) who plays Bruce Dern's son & tries to sneak pictures of the girls undressing.

I give it an overall 3 out of 5 (or a 3.5 on the nostalgia scale for people who like 70's satire).

Paul Blart : Mall Cop
Steve Carr
Some movies have villains driving bad-ass cars, mounted with machine guns and the newest technology. And then you have this movie's antagonists, who use skateboards.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Five Easy Pieces - 9/10

(no spoiler, but you shouldn't read this if you haven't seen it)

Probably the fifth time I've seen this movie. I know I didn't like this as much the first time I saw it. I put on the Director's Commentary. I had no plans on seeing this, but as I was printing out my airline tickets, I saw a cute girl right by the movie shelf so I thought of a superfluous question. I asked, "How often do they add movies to the library" and she mentioned how they don't only add new movies, and I wanted to reaffirm of my love for "older" movies. I only go to the library to print, and if there's something to watch, why not. I never saw the special features though. It's nice to see how it compares to my imagination of the movie. The only part I really disagreed with was that I found the family not condescending at all towards Rayette (Karen Black), but that while one is checking out the brother's woman, the other is at least stimulated in the opposite way to his woman. One is serious, intellectual, a bit snotty and the other is down-to-earth, honest, no pretensions, intuitive.

In the past the movie seemed a lot longer, this time it flew by. Once it got towards the end, I thought "it's already finished?" I also noticed a few times not fully listening to the commentary because I was so fixated on the movie.

I kind of identify with Robert Dupea, in that I'll always be searching, and that I don't want any attachments (wife and/or children). But I also realized that I was still "searching" even for a look, a few words with a woman I'd never met before. I could tell this librarian was almost my age, and interesting, probably didn't get into trouble, but fun to talk with. One minute I can swear up and down that I would look straight through a woman, but that's life. I went shopping too, and see the most beautiful people that I never could on TV. There was an older lady, and I tried to check her out, and noticed she didn't have any ring, and I wanted so badly to get to know her. (this is all relative to the movie, maybe that can be my contribution the reviews - digression and free association).

I was surprised to hear again that the audience cheered at the end. Any movies like this?

Paul Blart : Mall Cop

Some movies have villains driving bad-ass cars, mounted with machine guns and the newest technology. And then you have this movie's antagonists, who use skateboards.
Could this review be funnier than the movie?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Yeah, I watched half of it the other day on TV, I didn't even write here because I was so embarassed I didn't turn it off after 5 minutes!