Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

Heavenly Creatures

I expected more. It didn't shock or disturb me which was what i was expecting from some of the reviews. Still, it had 2 great performances from the main characters and i am a bit of a sucker for films that contain a descent in psychology, if that's how this can be described.

High and Low (1963)

So you've got the kidnapping/ransom set up, and then it's off to the hunt. There's an interesting twist very early in the movie that puts a different spin on this type of story that works very well. With movies of this type, it ends up being all about execution, and it couldn't be much better.

As far as crime thrillers go, this is up there with the best from any era, or in any language. I would recommend this movie to anyone who is foreign film friendly.

Out of the movies I've seen, I would say the director/actor combo of Kurosawa and Mifune is rivaled by only Scorsese and De Niro. This is my 7th Kurosawa, and I would rate it behind only The Seven Samurai.

Into the Storm

Nature has the power to destroy everything, man is nothing in front of her power, we might think we are strong but we are nothing, dust, in into the storm we can se that... The running, the deaths, is incredible, but on thing I also liked is that the movie has some real life problems, like the bad relationship father and son, and the mother that is always away from her little child... those kind relistic problems just make the movie better and better... liked a lot

I think I remember Cobpyth gave High and Low a similar rating as well, and was blown away by it. I need to watch more Kurosawa in general, and it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy.

Contempt (1963)

There's a lot I'd like to say about this movie but I don't have time right now. I found it to be brilliant and heartbreaking. It's not the kind of movie I would watch over and over again, but for one viewing I was mesmerized. Big surprise.
Just seen this, I love you

One of my favourite films. You're right about it being absolutely mesmerising, whenever I think of it in my head I just think of the beautiful score. Although it's slightly surprising that you love it, I think I can see why it appeals to you in some ways, in the ways it deals with relationships, the destruction of them, jealousy and so on.

Just seen this, I love you

One of my favourite films. You're right about it being absolutely mesmerising, whenever I think of it in my head I just think of the beautiful score. Although it's slightly surprising that you love it, I think I can see why it appeals to you in some ways, in the ways it deals with relationships, the destruction of them, jealousy and so on.
I feel like I underrated it because I'm still thinking about it. I thought the relationship aspect about the needs of certain women was amazingly insightful. Although it's not made clear, I thought that I was sure of what her issue was, and my thought was confirmed when it happened again, which I thought was the most devastating part of the movie. The score that you mentioned was brilliant, it was filmed great, the acting was great, I loved how it revolved around the making of a movie and the little connections there, and I loved the ending. A brilliant movie in my mind.

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Wicker Man (1973) - 9/10

If not for the vastly superior Exorcist, this would be my favorite film from its year. It's intelligent, counter-conventional for its genre and absolutely chilling. It presents a culture war between Judeo-Christian and Pagan values, and audaciously posits that we might not survive this second confrontation. Well written, directed and acted (and featuring the youngest Christopher Lee that I've ever seen) this is every inch the horror movie that it promised to be.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Rewatched 'The Loved Ones' again and it is just as great as I remember it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

This movie is adorable. It's got action, comedy, drama and more. It's enjoyable, and nostalgic for people who played video games when they were younger. I was thrilled to see my favorite video game character, Q*bert, was included in the movie. This movie is great for kids of all ages.

I had no idea that Wreck-It Ralph was a Disney movie when I started watching it until the Disney logo came on screen. For those of you who don't want a bunch of Disney movies on the animation countdown, you might want to skip this one because if you watch it, it's likely to make your list.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The greatest sci-fi film of all time.
I've been on a Kubrick kick lately, so I decided it was time to rewatch 2001. It had been a while, but I remember being blown away. I think I was even more astonished this viewing.
The cinematography, score, visuals, acting. Everything is flawless. I'm not sure if Kubrick pioneered this, but the use of no sound in space is perfect. But I expect no less from him.
I literally have one flaw, and it's so stupid, but when the Moon transport is on it's way to the monolith, the pilot window is facing forward, towards the horizon. But when you look from inside the cockpit you can see the surface of the moon perfectly. I don't know if this is even a flaw, maybe someone can explain the physics of this to me, but since I watched it, it's bothered me.
There's so much to say about this but I'd rather have you watch it yourself and maybe we can discuss things in detail in another thread

I want to keep watching films from Kubrick's collection. What should I watch next? So far I've watched Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, and 2001.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Barry Lyndon. Watch Barry Lyndon.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Per un pugno di dollari aka A fistfull of Dollars (1964)

I have watched the entire Tarantino's and Kubrick's filmography and I was looking for the next director to tackle down and after this I have decided - Sergio Leone!

This is Leone's second movie (after Il colosso di Rodi) and his first spaghetti western!
It's not as great as The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West and even Clint Eastwood is obviously still looking for the best way to play his character.

However, the important stuff is already there! The amazing connection between Morricone's soundtrack and Leone's direction on creating tension and solving it starts to appear on this film! In my opinion, Morricone and Leone are one of the best double in the history of the cinema and I'm happy I still have For a Few Dollars More, Once Upon a Time in America and Duck, You Sucker to discover!

7/10

Birdman (2014):

Easily my favorite movie of the year. Go see it.

The Giver:

This movie has a lots of relation with Divergent in my opinion, cause in the giver, when someone achieves a certain age thay get classified at a kind of work, and in Divergent you get classified in a kind o group of persons. But in the Giver I liked the cast cause there was a lot of new actors that I never heard about and I liked the way they played their roll. The concept of the main history overall is wellmade, the giver and the receiver working together to avoid a future mistake is a good oath but they forget to live. The change from black and white to color at the half of the movie was awesome, honestly this part blow my mind...

Lord High Filmquisitor
I want to keep watching films from Kubrick's collection. What should I watch next? So far I've watched Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, and 2001.
Either Full Metal Jacket or A Clockwork Orange. They're two easy favorites of mine and, in my opinion, are his two best films.

Watch Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory and Fullmetal Jacket
Fire walk with me.