Another Round

→ in
Tools    

Spoilers

How the film 'leaving las Vegas' puts you off ever touching a bottle, Another Round has the opposite effect. Unless you ignore the scene where the PE teacher drowns due to his extreme state of intoxication. But for our main character Martin, intoxication wakes him from his zombie like state and gives him the enthusiasm to reconnect his wife. Even though there was a crashing moment for him due to his excessive alcohol abuse, he made it through to the other side rediscovering himself in the process. So ultimately the experiment was a success for Martin, or was it? Will he go overboard again? will he lose his job in the future by having a relapse? In a film we offen never know what happens to our protagonist when the cameras stop rolling, which leaves an open dialogue for people long after the movie ends. All I can say is I wouldn't recommend this experiment although I may give it a try when I'm an old man with nothing to lose.

Overall I give this film four and a half star

I thought it was very average. It seems there's a trend these days where some foreign language films get extremely good ratings just because of a certain actor. If Mikkelsen wasn't in this film, it would not have half the traction it has got.

See also: 'Burning'. For years I had wondered why this film did so well with Western audiences when it's one of Lee Chang Dong's worst, then a few weeks ago on this site - someone mentioned that one of the actors in it, is a 'heart throb' from The Walking Dead. Then everything clicked.

I thought it was very average. It seems there's a trend these days where some foreign language films get extremely good ratings just because of a certain actor. If Mikkelsen wasn't in this film, it would not have half the traction it has got.

See also: 'Burning'. For years I had wondered why this film did so well with Western audiences when it's one of Lee Chang Dong's worst, then a few weeks ago on this site - someone mentioned that one of the actors in it, is a 'heart throb' from The Walking Dead. Then everything clicked.

Yes critics are generally more favourable with foreign films as it makes them feel more cultured. Another round isn't perfect but it's got a certain charm and humour to it that will either click with people or not. As the star power you could say that about a lot of films today but some films rely on star power alone and these films often disappoint, the same could be said about films that rely on nostalgia. Like the last Jedi which was God awful Lol