Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

→ in
Tools    

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

Set in London and Paris of the late 1950s, this is a delightful tale of a widowed English cleaning lady who, after being overcome by a lovely Christian Dior dress she sees which was recently purchased by her employer, becomes captivated by a fanciful determination to find a way to travel to Paris to purchase a Dior gown of her own. The title sounds a bit like a Jacques Tati film, but it is a cinematic adaption of the Paul Gallico novel, Mrs. ‘Arris Goes to Paris (1958). It’s directed by Anthony Fabian from a screenplay by Olivia Hetreed (Girl With a Pearl Earring).

The Veteran Lesley Manville (Mr. Turner; Phantom Thread) gives a perfect and nuanced portrayal of the titular character, and is supported by a seasoned cast including Isabelle Huppert (The Piano Teacher; Elle), Lambert Wilson (The Matrix films), Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter films; Hotel Mumbai), and Ellen Thomas (Teachers; Dr. Who).

Although her stingy employer, Lady Dant (Anna Chancellor), finds excuses to deny Harris her overdue salary, Mrs. Harris’ dream of purchasing her own Dior gown becomes possible as she unexpectedly comes into some money from several sources. This allows her to travel to Paris and to approach the lofty House of Dior. Her reception there, the ups and downs of her quest, along with the relationships she acquires, form the basis for the movie. In time honored fashion every character in the film arrives to a gratifying outcome.

Pictures like this one don’t come along very often in modern times. With today’s assault of razzmatazz, violence, social justice, and salacious productions, it’s refreshing to become emerged into a simple, gracious story that respectfully tugs at one’s heart strings. The viewers quickly find themselves drawn into Mrs. Harris’ quest, and soon learn that they’re pulling for her success. Lesley Manville’s compelling and memorable performance resulted in a well deserved Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress.

Doc’s rating: 9/10

It was OK. It's the kind to film designed to make your mom feel warm and fuzzy.

Sounds like my kind of movie! Glad to see somebody had guts enough to make a movie aimed at an adult audience that was PG instead of the usual R. I've grown past the need to see every movie story filtered through the R rated processing machine that adds 1 bucket of fake blood, 3 seconds of boobs, 3 minutes of some dudes junk and 75 f bombs.

Sounds like my kind of movie! Glad to see somebody had guts enough to make a movie aimed at an adult audience that was PG instead of the usual R. I've grown past the need to see every movie story filtered through the R rated processing machine that adds 1 bucket of fake blood, 3 seconds of boobs, 3 minutes of some dudes junk and 75 f bombs.
Well said, my man!

Watched another enjoyable one last night: R.I.P.D.(2013), starring Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, and Mary-Louise Parker (who I love). PG-13

Fairly clever supernatural story with a little superhero feel thrown in. Lots of laughs. I won't review it, but it was fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.I.P.D.