The Offer

Tools    

Ep 6 finds Al Ruddy in danger of losing his job. Love when Charlie referred to Robert Evans as "oily", a perfect adjective for the guy. Still loving the bromance between Puzo and Coppola. Loved the scene of Ruddy being fired because we understand both sides. That was so funny when Ruddy took Charlie's cigars. Juno Temple played that scene with Teller after Ruddy gets fired. It was nice to see that Charlie Bluhorn have someone to answer to. I wonder what Betty's intention was when she was shooed away from Charlie's office. Coppola looked lost when Ruddy told him he had been fired. I have a hard time buying Coppola as the sheep he is portrayed here. I love that the Texan people sent their third in command to meet with Charlie and Barry. Did they really think Calhoun didn't know about Ruddy? Can't believe Betty had the stones to visit Columbo alone and not sure what she was planning to accomplish either. Really like TJ Thyne as cinematographer Gordon Willis. The elevator scene with Charlie and Barry was excellent. Might seem naive, but I'm unclear as to how Joe Columbo can stop this film from being made. Matthew Goode nailed that scene with the Gulf Western board, since his speech really offered nothing to put the board at ease. So we're supposed to believe that a secretary named Betty kept this film from being shut down? Seriously? Burn Gorman was SO funny in that restaurant scene.

The horse head dilemma and the continued hatred of Al Pacino by Paramount big brass made for a compelling opening to ep 7. Loved Evans' confrontation with Ali MacGraw at the location for The Getaway, even though it really doesn't have anything to do with the story at hand. This was the first true moment of vulnerability we've seen from Evans since this miniseries began. Loved Betty teaching Lenny (Lou Ferrigno) how to speak one line in the movie. Also loved Brando and the cat. Not sure how Al can keep Charlie or Barry from seeing the dailies. They are the powers that be. The mafia aspect of the story seems to be separating from the make of the movie. The drama between Willis and Copolla was tangible, never heard about this before this miniseries. I don't think Ruddy should have made Copolla apologize to Willis, it should have been the other way around. Copolla is the director, period. Didn't understand the scene in the disco with Evans and Ruddy...I mean understand where Evans' head was at, but didn't understand why it was so important for Ruddy to come with him. It was a little hard to swallow that Pacino "sensed" that he's about to be fired. Dan Fogler was excellent in that scene where he was explaining the bathroom scene to Pacino. The "handling" of the restaurant owner? No class. Charlie's reaction to the restaurant scene was gold. I liked that the mystery of what a producer actually does is addressed here. I wanted to cheer when Evans fired Jack Dawson, that was awesome. "As long as Francis is at the helm, the rest is white noise." The final scene, though somewhat predictable, still packed a wallop.

The opening scene of ep 8 was a little confusing. When al woke up, it initially made it look like Columbo's shooting was a dream. Loved Evans taking complete credit for Rosemary's Baby. Really liked the actor playing Robert Towne. Excellent work by Juno Temple internalizing and trying to hide her fear about Al seeing Columbo at the hospital. It wasn't until this scene that I realized Columbo was still alive. Matthew Goode was hysterical in that scene where Evans was trying to explain Chinatown to Charlie. Looks like Al is finally feeling the consequences of getting in bed with Joe Columbo. Dan Fogler was great when Coppola was explaining to Al why he needs to shoot in Cicely.. Didn't understand why Caesar is throwing al under the Joe Gallo bus. Where did Joey Gallo get the idea that Al was paying Columbo? Loved the encounter at the bar between Betty and Brando. Justin Chambers really did his homework. Evans drunken tirade was a little over the top for my tastes. Will the stick be removed from Barry's ass before this miniseries ends? The writing is a little on the cliched, but this show is so well-acted you almost don't notice.

Those shots of Corleone, Sicily that opened ep 9 were breathtaking. That Bruno guy sent a chill down my spine. "We just flew halfway round the world to shoot in Burbank." Loved the mention of Alvin Sargent writing the screenplay for what would become Paper Moon. Nice to see Coppola and Gordon Willis actually getting along. Really liked the actor playing Angelo and his chemistry with Juno Temple was palpable. Not really clear as to why Evans was so instrumental to completing the film. Really liked the actor playing the Italian AD. Also don't understand why Al is defending Evans at this point. Laughed out loud when Barry said nobody would want to see Save the Tiger. This show really makes a point of how losing Ali MacGraw destroyed Evans. Colin Hanks really invests in Barry's prick factor in that scene with Ruddy. Loved the scene where Al, Betty, and Francis watched the first rough cut. This episode makes no bones about what an idiot Barry Lapidus is, whether or not he really was. Teller was really good in that scene with a drunk Evans watching The Odd Couple. LOVED the scene where they're deciding on the poster. Colin Hanks really stepped up in this episode as the classic mustache-twirling villain. Loved when Evans bounced back and put Barry in his place at that meeting. Hanks' monologue about Evans was on the money. Burn Gorman made some cliched dialogue work in that scene with Matthew Goode. Impressed with the reveal that Betty wanted more in her life than being Al Ruddy's secretary. Genius of Ruddy to have a screening just for the mob guys; the camera work catching audience reaction was superb.

That suit Coppola had on in the opening scene of the final episode made Dan Fogler look like a giant pumpkin. "The idea of losing money gives me a rash." So weird seeing Evans and Barry working together after everything we've seen up to this point. This episode seemed to be trying to make Barry more sympathetic, but that's a matter of too little too late. The only time Matthew Goode's Evans has any kind of vulnerability is when he's dealing with Ali MacGraw. "Bludhorne's still using my ass like it's his own personal jungle jim." I forgot that Ruddy also produced the original The Longest Yard. Matthew Goode played the hell out of that goodby scene with Ali MacGraw. Didn't know Ruddy wanted Francis to direct The Longest Yard...first time I ever heard that. Can't believe Ali showed up for The Godfather premiere, did not see that coming. Never really bought the actor playing Burt Reynolds. One of the few casting faux pas I've seen here. Loved the scene where Francis and Mario are pitching the sequel. The moment the film won the Best Picture Oscar, was Miles Teller's strongest moment in the entire mini-series. Overall, the writing was a little on the cliched side, but it was so well-acted you almost don't notice. Really enjoyed The Offer.