Does anyone have a favorite Western?

Tools    

I never saw Unforgiven till just a couple years ago. I didn't think I'd like it but it was out of this world! Open Range is also a top favorite of mine.

My favorites are:

Wild Bunch
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
The Life And Times of Judge Roy Bean
High Noon
Ulzana's Raid
Red River
The Searchers
EL Topo
Dead Man
The Shooting
Ride in the Whirlwind
One-Eyed Jacks
Walker
The Proposition

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot!
The Great Silence
A Bullet for the General
The Big Gundown
Keoma
Sabata
Day of Anger
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
For a few dollars more

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

How The West Was Won.

The Wild Bunch

Once Upon A Time in The West

The most loathsome of all goblins
Dances with Wolves

The photography, the music, the poignant story, nothing comes close for me. Other favorite include High Noon, High Plains Drifter, Once Upon a Time in the West and The Wild Bunch. Oh, and one western I'm rather fond of but doesn't get nearly enough love is Cecile B. Demille's The Plainsman with Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur. It's such a fun movie, even if it does crap on history.

My top 5, and 5 of my all time favourites of any genres, actually. The reason I love these 5 so much is that they are all very different and unique, each dealing with different themes.

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)

The ultimate team/buddy film for me, where a group of very different people come together to protect a town in a pretty straightforward story. One of John Wayne's best performance for me (the other is below), but all the cast is great, especially a young Nelson.

Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

Some may complain this is a self obsessed, over indulgent piece of work from Leone, but for me that is what makes it great. He is in full control and is like a child bringing all his favourite fantasy elements of the surreal Western world together to create something like out of a dream. This film has a magical feel, and has some of the greatest characters in Western history, each with their own brilliant story and part to play. Henry Fonda is of course brilliant in his role as the villain, Frank.

Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)

I love this film because it blurs the boundaries of good versus evil and completely throws the traditional fantasy/surreal Western plot devices out of the window. Clint Eastwood's character is a man who is grown old, attempting to live a normal life, he gives the best performance of his career in my opinion as he reflects on the harsh realities of being a bounty hunter, killing men. Gene Hackman is also brilliant, although he can be described as a villain he is actually far from it, he is trying to build a house, settle down and keep peace in his town.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
(Sergio Leone, 1966)

There's not that much difference in quality for me between this and OUATITW, this film is just great fun too watch, The Man with no name oozes coolness and his relationship with Tuco is great, then there's a great villain in Lee Van Cleef, by far the best film in the Dollars trilogy.

The Searchers
(John Ford, 1956)

The ultimate tale of obsession as John Wayne devotes his entire life to finding his young kidnapped niece from Indians. Wayne's character is extremely racist, and this is one of the most mature Westerns I have seen in the fact it feels real and honest in the way it deals with humans. Ford's direction is excellent and the film is also visually superb.

Loads of others I like as well, all of Leone's stuff including the underrated Duck, You Sucker!, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, High Noon, The Man Who Shoot Liberty Valance both True Grit films and both 3:10 to Yuma films, I actually think both remakes are superior. Rango and Django Unchained are too modern efforts that I loved.

Really, really want to see McCabe and Mrs Miller and Dances With Wolves.

The Searchers
Good the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time In the West
High Noon
They Call Me Trinity
High Plains Drifter
Stagecoach
The Bravados
McKennas Gold
I Will Fight No More Forever

Theres many more, these are just off the top of my head.

Silverado is the first western I think of when I think of my favorite western. What a great cast!

LetsSeeAMovie.com

The mob is tough, but it’s nothing like show business. - Get Shorty (1995)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is my top 5 but keep in mind, I really haven't seen a whole lot of the genre yet.

1. Unforgiven
2. High Noon
3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
4. Destry Rides Again
5. Stagecoach

The top 3 are really on a class of their own. 4&5 are current favorites right now. Still plenty that I want to see yet.

It's the only genre I can't stand. That being said, I loved Django, but it's hardly a western, right?

I adore Clint Eastwood in every western he ever played. But Unforgiven is just superb

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's the only genre I can't stand. That being said, I loved Django, but it's hardly a western, right?
So you don't even like Doc Brown out west?

I've seen some westerns and even today the The Good, the bad and the ugly remains the best western ever made, in my opinion.
The movie is quite ambitious for its time, giving 3 hours of pure entertainment and fun. And one of the big attractions for me is that the film is quite sarcastic and caricatural, very common in westerns of Sergio Leone.

Overall the film follows the great virtuosity and originality of Sergio Leone, as well as the iconic soundtrack of Ennio Morricone, and also of the great performances of three charismatic characters.

In no particular order ;

High Planes Drifter

The outlaw Josey Wales

Unforgiven

The Quick and the Dead

3.10 to Yuma (2007)

and a couple that don't take themselves seriously but made me laugh

Support your local Sheriff

Maverick

Sergio Leone is a master of westerns, with my favourites as A Fistful of Dollars and Once Upon a Time in the West.

It fits his directorial character with the slow yet breakneck pace of his films.

The searchers is getting a lot of love here, I really hated that movie.
I've actually hated everything john ford has ever done and I can't bring myself to watch stagecoach because of that. I have it but just haven't watched it.. maybe one day.

I'm not a big western fan, so my list will probably be odd

high noon
good bad the ugly
3:10 to yuma
back to the future 3
warriors way

2007.. I haven't seen the original of that, nor the original of true grit.
But not much of a western fan so that's why
IMO you're not missing anything by not watching the old 3:10. It was a decent movie for the most part, but the ending really irked me.

Obviously, I love the 2007 version.

IMO you're not missing anything by not watching the old 3:10. It was a decent movie for the most part, but the ending really irked me.

Obviously, I love the 2007 version.
I can only repeat what Miss Vicky says, the original is straightforward, simple and cheery with no real feeling of joy/completion at the end unlike the remake where it wraps all the character development up nicely, I much prefer the remake too.