Greatest movie tournament!!

Tools    

The Godfather

Vertigo
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Psycho

Vertigo

I must add, how is this the 4 semi-finalists?
It's all in this thread. They won each round they went through. The main flaws people have though are: (1) no brackets were ever set up which were followed. What film competed with what film was never known until after they won; and (2) no set amount of time was ever established for how long each vote lasted because some lasted longer than others irregardless of ties.

On an added note though, it is quite sad that I haven't seen The Godfather yet. But darn, that movie is long.
The first The Godfather, which is the movie competing, is the same length as The Best Years of Our Lives.

Do it Raul- I'll partake The reason I started on this one was because I got an invitation message. So I don't know if you did last time you tried (I read somewhere that you tried before) make sure you message everyone about it.

Looking forward to it

Dreading if I have to choose b/w Godfather and American Beauty in this though. I love them both so much.

Psycho-Vertigo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Godfather
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Psycho
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Raging Bull
The Deer Hunter
Bonnie & Clyde
The Godfather:Part II
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Star Wars IV:A New Hope
Taxi Driver
2001:A Space Odyssey
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Raiders of the Lost Ark

American Beauty?

If American Beauty can win a "tournament" on this forum over such undisputed classics as the ones I've listed above, then I can say with complete sincerity that I don't belong here anymore. Whether I've changed or this forum has changed, I don't know, but I can't see it winning a year or two ago. At first it was a simple game, but it has certainly revealed something significant, at least to me. And I don't hate American Beauty at all, I'd probably give it
, but still...

If it means anything to ya, Harry, I would pick Taxi Driver over American Beauty.

I don't think most of the people who've stated their surprise/disgust/disappointment at the advance of American Beauty hate it or think it's bad. Just that it's knocked out a lot of classics that, ITO, it's not even close to worthy enough to be mentioned in the same breath. Of course, this is always the pull between "Best" and "Favourite". I've not voted for the "Best" film in any of my choices, it's always been the one I liked the most. If the two were the same, then so be it, but it wasn't intentional.