Robin Williams

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
If I remember correctly, I think the sequel to Night at the Museum was actually better than the first (if that's the one that had Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart).

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably watch all the Night at the Museum movies as a marathon one day when I have the time. (If I remember correctly, I think there are three of them.) It's good to know that the second one is better than the first one, (or at least as good as it). Hopefully the third one won't be a complete letdown.

One Hour Photo is worth the watch. A true departure for Robin Williams (who usually played the leading good guy or accompanying comic relief) and a genuinely interesting thriller with a unique plot.
I don't remember much about One Hour Photo except that I liked it enough that I was upset when the DVD locked up. I like Robin Williams as a comedian, but I think I usually like his drama movies more than his comedies, although he's good in both genres. (Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting are my two favorites of his movies.)

Thanks for the info.

I don't remember much about One Hour Photo except that I liked it enough that I was upset when the DVD locked up. I like Robin Williams as a comedian, but I think I usually like his drama movies more than his comedies, although he's good in both genres. (Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting are my two favorites of his movies.)
Dead Poets is one of my all around favorite movies.

Funny thing is I don't really even think of it as a "Robin Williams" movie (whereas many others, I do).
Sure, he's a titular character - the hub around which the plot revolves - but the rest of the cast is so good, and each of the lead boys have their own stories going on, that Robin ends up feeling like one part of an ensemble cast.

WARNING: "DPS Main Spoiler" spoilers below
I still have a hard time accepting Neil's suicide - only because he seemed like one of the most stable characters - sure, his father was dysfunctional, but he was intelligent, talented, good looking, popular, respected, beloved by his friends and he inspired those around him who felt less sure of themselves (like Todd). Usually people who have it together and have a strong social network don't commit suicide over one sour event, especially if they realize they are only a couple years away from being able to legally part from their parents.

But now that I typed that, I see the same description could almost fit Robin Williams himself - so I guess his real-life suicide makes the movie's plot all the more plausible.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dead Poets is one of my all around favorite movies.

Funny thing is I don't really even think of it as a "Robin Williams" movie (whereas many others, I do).
Sure, he's a titular character - the hub around which the plot revolves - but the rest of the cast is so good, and each of the lead boys have their own stories going on, that Robin ends up feeling like one part of an ensemble cast.

WARNING: "DPS Main Spoiler" spoilers below
I still have a hard time accepting Neil's suicide - only because he seemed like one of the most stable characters - sure, his father was dysfunctional, but he was intelligent, talented, good looking, popular, respected, beloved by his friends and he inspired those around him who felt less sure of themselves (like Todd). Usually people who have it together and have a strong social network don't commit suicide over one sour event, especially if they realize they are only a couple years away from being able to legally part from their parents.

But now that I typed that, I see the same description could almost fit Robin Williams himself - so I guess his real-life suicide makes the movie's plot all the more plausible.

I agree about the spoiler.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about "DEAD POETS SOCIETY"!!!" spoilers below

The first time I saw the movie, I expected Neil to get up and say something about that proving to his father how good of an actor he is, but that didn't happen.

But they talked about how each of the boys was afraid of talking back to their respective fathers, so I guess they were trying to show that he was so upset about his father wanting him to continue with school and become a doctor rather than following his heart to become an actor, that he would rather die than be under his father's control any longer.

I still have a hard time watching Robin Williams movies because of his death.

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably watch all the Night at the Museum movies as a marathon one day when I have the time. (If I remember correctly, I think there are three of them.) It's good to know that the second one is better than the first one, (or at least as good as it). Hopefully the third one won't be a complete letdown....
I liked the 1st and 3rd Night at the Museum movies best, but the 2nd is good too. Fun films I should watch them again.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Sam Neill Remembers The Late Robin Williams: “The Saddest Person I Ever Met”

Sam Neill has special memories of Robin Williams, who worked with him in 1999’s Bicentennial Man. Neill, 75, looked back on their time together in his new March 21-released memoir, Did I Ever Tell You This?

Neill recalled their “great chats” throughout their visits to each other’s trailers.

“We would talk about this and that, sometimes even about the work we were about to do,” he said, calling Williams “irresistibly, outrageously, irrepressibly, gigantically funny.”

But even during those good times, Neill could sense something was wrong, calling Williams, “The saddest person I ever met.”

Williams died by suicide at the age of 63 on Aug. 11, 2014.

“He had fame, he was rich, people loved him, great kids—the world was his oyster. And yet I felt more sorry for him than I can express. He was the loneliest man on a lonely planet,” Neill wrote. Williams seemed “inconsolably solitary and deeply depressed.”

Williams used humor as a form of self-medication, Neill theorized, saying “funny stuff just poured out of him.”

“And everybody was in stitches, and when everybody was in stitches, you could see Robin was happy,” Neill said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...01c81d34&ei=11

Dead Poet's gets a lot of flack from films snobs for being a hack story about 'a teacher who makes a difference', riddled with all of the usual cliche's. Which is mostly true, if all one cares to do is condense something into nothing more than its narrative beats. If one is interested in the quality of a film outside of this, appreciate films that create a sense of space, create a mood, have a poetic sensibility in their editing and sound design, employ characters who may go through expected arcs but are given all manner of nuance through the performances they get, Dead Poet's is a pretty ****ing good film. And as a result of this, all of the things that seem easy to dismiss about it (its predictability, its familiarity, its rose-colored-glasses outlook on the value of life and art and mentors and education) suddenly have some amount of emotional heft.

And it's one of Williams' best performances, of which there are a number to choose from.

Good Williams performances

Good Morning Vietnam
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
Awakenings (not a good movie though)
Fisher King
Popeye
Insomnia
Bird Cage
World According to Garp

I really need to see Moscow on the Hudson at some point

**** Mrs Doubtfire

The trick is not minding
Good Morning Vietnam*
decent performance/ok movie

Good Will Hunting
Probably my favorite performance of his. Great movie

Dead Poets Society
Second favorite movie I’d say.

Awakenings
Really good movie, although a bit overly sentimental, perhaps?

Fisher King
Haven’t seen yet

Popeye
Hated this film.

Insomnia
Underrated performance and underrated film. *Need to see the original yet

Bird Cage
Haven’t seen yet

World According to Garp
Haven’t seen yet

Moscow on the Hudson
Haven’t seen yet.

Mrs Doubtfire
Haven’t seen yet, low priority really.

Good Morning Vietnam*
decent performance/ok movie
It's the movie where it seemed he might actually be an actor worth something. I'm impressed by how he had a role like this which basically allowed him to do what he was great at (comedic riffing into eternity) and be a dramatic enough performance that he suddenly had to be taken seriously as not just a comic.

Yeah, the movies okay.

Good Will Hunting
Probably my favorite performance of his. Great movie
The kind of movie that I think is good simply because I have nothing bad to say about it. It's enjoyable. It's good. So is he. Actually, he's very good.

Dead Poets Society
Second favorite movie I’d say.
Maybe the best movies he's been in. But what do I know? Knowing shit is a waste of time anyways. .

Awakenings
Really good movie, although a bit overly sentimental, perhaps?
A movie I was very fond of when I first saw it, that I just imagine can't being of any interest to me these days (but I felt this way about Dead Poet's Society as well, until I rewatched it about ten years ago, so who knows). But when it comes to his acting, this was the one that made me respond to him as a dramatic actor. I think it's an underrated performance even while I don't feel the movie needs any particular re-evaluation (at least until I rewatch it............I wont')

Fisher King
Haven’t seen yet
I'm not a big fan of Gilliam's films. But this is one of the three or four I will go to bat for.

Popeye
Hated this film.
Obviously worth hating. But also worth hesitantly loving.

Insomnia...Need to see the original yet

I don't even remember the original. I remember this more. It's fine.

Bird Cage
Haven’t seen yet
Okay movie. Decent performance

World According to Garp
Haven’t seen yet
I feel bad about this one. All I remember about it is that I hated it when I first watched it in university.. And I've never come close to rewatching it again. I'm just assuming he's good in it and its not so bad. My tastes were pretty bad back then. My current self would have murdered me for my terrible opinions back then if time travel was possible

Mrs Doubtfire
Haven’t seen yet, low priority really.
It's a ****ing colossal brain-sized turd. Step on it at your own risk. Yes, of course some people like it, and I guess that isn't a war crime. But it is.

Goodwill Hunting and Fisher King are tops.