July 7th - Insidious Part 5
July 14th - MI7 Part II

July 21st - Oppenheimer/Barbie
July 28th - The Marvels
Aug 4th - The Meg II
Aug 11th - Haunted Mansion
Aug 18th - Blue Beetle

It might be the movie of the Summer and just dominant August

Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses (Greg Richardson, 2006)

So I've remarked in many of these reviews that a dance scene is a particularly standout, magical moment in the film and I was hype for this one since it implied an abundance of dancing, and we do get a lot of dancing, but outside of one scene towards the end none of it really hits like that. Like, the princesses find a way to go to magical realm where they can dance to their hearts content and its not the best film in the series?? It took awhile to get over my disappointment in the dances not being great and the plot is as bare bones as possible but the vibes are really good throughout and the last act is particularly fun.
From a Rate The Latest Movie You Saw post.
I do not know about me, but I am pretty sure Ueno Station will be thrilled over this movie.

Gotta admit, the Dawn of Man bit was hilarious.

Has there been any indication as to the rating they're going for? It would be a shame to tease little girls with the trailer of their dreams and then have to tell them that it's rated R.

Hilarious teaser.

I have faith in Miss Gerwig.

If this is aimed at kids, then it's not for me.
If they turn this into an adult comedy and really go for it, then this could be fun.
well it seems like an adult comedy

Very fun teaser concept, though how much that tells us about the film's eventual quality I have no idea.

Gerwig's earned a look, for sure, though there's obvious potential for this to try to square a circle by adapting a concept so subversively that it made no sense to adapt at all if that level of subversion was necessary. Definitely a fine line to walk.

There's a fair bit of talented involved, so it wouldn't shock me if it's good, particularly given how many silly-on-paper movies have been pretty good over the last decade. At some point people got the memo that if you want to make that kind of jump (Transformers, LEGO, whatever) you really, really need to focus on the writing and recruit genuinely good actors and directors, rather than just expect the idea to carry things.

Gerwig's earned a look, for sure, though there's obvious potential for this to try to square a circle by adapting a concept so subversively that it made no sense to adapt at all if that level of subversion was necessary. Definitely a fine line to walk.
In other words, there's a strong chance the Barbie movie is up my Charlie Kaufman ass-kissing alley.

Welcome to the human race...
I remain skeptical. Neither of Gerwig's previous features have really blown me away and they were using much more inherently promising premises than this (Baumbach's average is higher but not enough to be too much of a guarantee). That the teaser mostly involves a well-worn parody existing at an apparent remove from the rest of the footage does less to sell me on this than anything else. Still, I guess it's going to be one of 2023's event movies so I'll have to watch it at some point.

So how are we men going to get into the theater? I aint about to go up to the cashier and say ONE FOR BARBIE.

Did that little brat just kill her doll of color?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looking at Summer 2023

May 5th - GOTG 3
May 19 - Fast and Furious X
May 26 - The Little Mermaid
June 2nd - Spiderman Across the Spiderverse
June 9th - Transformers
June 16th - The Flash
June 30th - Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
July 7th - Insidious Part 5
July 14th - MI7 Part II

July 21st - Oppenheimer/Barbie
July 28th - The Marvels
Aug 4th - The Meg II
Aug 11th - Haunted Mansion
Aug 18th - Blue Beetle

It might be the movie of the Summer and just dominant August
Ballsy move to bring out Part II before Part I.

Suspect's Reviews