Modern Times (1936)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
Wings (1927)
Senso (1954)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
The Four Feathers (1939)
The Quiet Man (1952)

Existing Thread
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That one is a little different though. That one is for the most romantic film. This is for favourite romance films, which could be completely different.

Nice list Allaby! The first movies that popped into my mind when I seen this thread was the old classics...So I'm glad to see your list contained a lot of the same classics.

My favorite romance movies wouldn't be the best romance movies because for me what makes it a favorite is the lead actress, if she has a certain charm and the story itself lends itself to that then it works for me.

Some of mine are:
Waterloo Bridge (1940) Vivian Leigh
Gone with the Wind (1939) Vivian Leigh
The Shop Around the Corner (1940) Margaret Sullvan
It Happened One Night (1934) Claudette Corbert
Modern Times (1936) Paulette Goddard
'It' (1927) Clara Bow
Trouble in Paradise (1932) Miriam Hopkins
Remember the Night (1940) Barbara Stanwyck
Thirty Day Princess (1934) Sylvia Sidney
Nothing Sacred (1937) Carole Lombard
I'll Be Seeing You (1944) Ginger Rogers

That's enough or I could make this list many 100s of movies long.

I was discussing this a couple nights ago. My top pick would be Vertigo, but largely because of what it does with other genres at the same time. If I had to pick a more pure romance movie, Annie Hall or Before unrise would be my picks.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seeing how most posters here mention classic films, I think that Portrait of Jennie sure deserves a mention. Basically, a romantic drama mixed with German Expressionism and a tearjerker. One of my favorite romantic films from the US, for sure! Here's what I had to say about it back in 2016 (lots of jaw-dropping screencaps included!).

Portrait of Jennie (1948) -

The storm (green) photos look like taken straight from Lovercraft realm.

One of the best American melodramas. So superior to these soap operas of Douglas Sirk and alike. The painting-like quality of cinematography makes me speechless, so does the atmosphere of the movie. Something like Vertigo, but without all the crime/plot bs. This has a fair amount of talking, but its visuals speak volumes, too. Lovely tinting at the end of the movie. The last color shot made me cry. What a surprise, Lilian Gish plays a nun here. Took a sh*tload of screens, because I was in awe.
Moar Portrait of Jennie images:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Seeing how most posters here mention classic films, I think that Portrait of Jennie sure deserves a mention. Basically, a romantic drama mixed with German Expressionism and a tearjerker. One of my favorite romantic films from the US, for sure! Here's what I had to say about it back in 2016 (lots of jaw-dropping screencaps included!).
Those screenshots look incredible. I'll keep an eye out for that one for sure.

What are your favourite romance films? Here are mine:

Gone with the Wind (1939)
The African Queen (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
City Lights (1931)
The Freshman (1925)
Annie Hall (1977)
Rushmore (1998)
The Awful Truth (1937)
Limelight (1952)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
The Graduate (1967)
The Red Shoes (1948)
Modern Times (1936)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
Wings (1927)
Senso (1954)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
The Four Feathers (1939)
The Quiet Man (1952)

Nice to see some love for The Shop Around the Corner and The Purple Rose of Cairo

Outside of the first 2 or 3, in no order...

When Harry Met Sally
(500) Days of Summer
Once
The Before Trilogy
The Apartment
The Big Sick
Sense & Sensibility
Can't Buy Me Love
Some Kind of Wonderful
Love Story
The Graduate
The Exploding Girl
The Lovers on the Bridge
Moulin Rouge!

I think that An Affair to Remember (1957) has got to be in that list. Starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, it's generally considered to be one of the most romantic films of all time.

My fave romance movie has always been The Way they Were. So sweet & sad & I love the progression of the two leads through the movie.

The Red Shoes
Blue Valentine
Failan
Christmas in August
My Sassy Girl
In the Mood for Love
Amour
Cold War
God's Own Country
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
I Killed My Mother