Do You Always Post Here After Watching a Movie?

Tools    

Do You Always Post Here After Watching a Movie?
8.00%
2 votes
Yes
92.00%
23 votes
No
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The first five years I was here, I always posted on "Rate Last Movie....." with the title, score, and poster (after someone requested this practice).. Sometimes I post a review, sometimes a sentence, sometimes paragraphs full of thoughts.

However, in the last couple of years, if I watch a bad movie, I never post it anywhere. I don't want to advertise it, or even give it another mention on the internet. If it's lower than a 5/10, I don't bother. Plus, I know some people might like it, so I decline.

Always, no, but fairly often. If I have anything to say at all, really, and these days I increasingly manage to only watch movies I'll have something to say about.

It's usually a couple of off-the-cuff paragraphs, though, and not full reviews.

Welcome to the human race...
The first five years I was here, I always posted on "Rate Last Movie....." with the title, score, and poster (after someone requested this practice).. Sometimes I post a review, sometimes a sentence, sometimes paragraphs full of thoughts.

However, in the last couple of years, if I watch a bad movie, I never post it anywhere. I don't want to advertise it, or even give it another mention on the internet. If it's lower than a 5/10, I don't bother. Plus, I know some people might like it, so I decline.
When you hate on so many good movies anyway, it shouldn't be any surprise that a bad score from you carries the same weight as a genuine endorsement.

Anyway, my posting about movies has been in serious decline for the past few years. Six years ago, I did a thread where I watched and reviewed at least one movie a day for an entire year, then continued that (and posting in the Movie Tab) until 2017 and now I just post whenever.

I don't have the free time to post about every movie I watched. Besides I don't usually watch current & populist movies, so basically nobody would care.

Here I'll prove it:
Last night I watched The Doolins of Oklahoma (1949), a typical 1940s western with horse riding, gun shooting and uninspired acting. The film had nothing to say and achieved zip outside of being a consumable product for matinee goers of the day...The 1940s are long over and the balcony is closed...and this film isn't worth a bag of oats.

I have the impulse to, but like Citizen said, if I have nothing interesting to say and/or if I don't think anyone will care, I won't bother.

I've come to associate logging the movie, writing a review, posting my thoughts about it, etc. as the dessert to the viewing experience's main course. Don't ask me what the appetizer is yet. Viewing the trailer? Adding it to my watch list? I don't know.

I have the impulse to, but like Citizen said, if I have nothing interesting to say and/or if I don't think anyone will care, I won't bother.

I've come to associate logging the movie, writing a review, posting my thoughts about it, etc. as the dessert to the viewing experience's main course. Don't ask me what the appetizer is yet. Viewing the trailer? Adding it to my watch list? I don't know.
I definitely care. A score is enough for me - I've found some fine movies just because of a score.

I definitely care. A score is enough for me - I've found some fine movies just because of a score.
Same here. I guess I should have added that I'm less likely to post about movies that I think everyone has seen. Last weekend, I re-watched The Lion King, for example, but I haven't posted anything because who hasn't seen that movie?

I don't have time to write a review about every film I watch, but I've gotten to a point where I generally don't post about any films I watch, which I've been meaning to change for a while. Fortunately though, the HoF's somewhat help in this regard.

I don't have time to write a review about every film I watch, but I've gotten to a point where I generally don't post about any films I watch, which I've been meaning to change for a while. Fortunately though, the HoF's somewhat help in this regard.
HoF's are the only place that I write up reviews for the movies I've watched. That's part of the reason I like joining HoFs.

Same here. I guess I should have added that I'm less likely to post about movies that I think everyone has seen. Last weekend, I re-watched The Lion King, for example, but I haven't posted anything because who hasn't seen that movie?

Even I saw it!

But I was surprised when someone created a thread with something like, "Movies Everyone Has Seen Except You" and there were many movies on the list, sometimes by people who would probably love the movie.

I'm pretty sure I've never voluntarily sat down to watch Lion King. I've been in a room a thousand times while my sister watched it. But it never amounted to more than the most passive of viewings. I really don't like that late 80's early 90's Disney resurgence. Beauty and the Beast is...alright...but most of those films leave me desperately cold. While they may be traditionally good in a lot of ways, I may even go so far as to say I think they are kind of painfully mediocre. So, I've never had any real desire to seriously sit down with The Lion King for a proper viewing.

*checks Letterboxd diary*

I’ve discussed…

2 of the last 15 movies I’ve watched on here.

I'm pretty sure I've never voluntarily sat down to watch Lion King. I've been in a room a thousand times while my sister watched it. But it never amounted to more than the most passive of viewings. I really don't like that late 80's early 90's Disney resurgence. Beauty and the Beast is...alright...but most of those films leave me desperately cold. While they may be traditionally good in a lot of ways, I may even go so far as to say I think they are kind of painfully mediocre. So, I've never had any real desire to seriously sit down with The Lion King for a proper viewing.
Aw man, really? I'm not a fan of much of what Disney put out after Walt Disney's death, but I do feel like the Disney Renaissance is I've of the few bursts of actual artistry since then.*I wonder if their cultural ubiquity has kind of lessened their impact.*I think there's something in the movies themselves that made them instantly iconic, and their relentless marketing can obscure that.*

I think you should give it a chance, especially since it's only a little over 90 minutes. It was an interesting experience to watch it again as an adult, if anything. Beyond all the songs, lions frolicking in the grass and warthog flatulence, it has a really well-told story about what it means to grow up. Plus, you can make a game out of trying to catch all of the Hamlet references.

Well, there I went and talked about it. I learned something today.

It's possible the marketing put me off some, and I have no real bone of contention against them or their fans, but I just really was never much a fan of the style of animation from those years. I've no doubt at all about the quality of the story telling though. But we all know how much traction I give that sort of thing.

It's been a long time though, so a rewatch of them would only be fair.

The trick is not minding
Of the Disney Renaissance, I’d probably put The Lion King at the middle behind Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid. Perhaps behind Pocahontas as well.