Avengers: Infinity War

Tools    

I just got back from a morning screening, but I already spoiled the film prior to release. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I always feel the MCU isn't something I need to beat myself up for but hey ho.

Early thoughts. I enjoyed the film. Very entertaining and very interesting also to watch. Many people critique the pacing, but I thought it was fine. Each character got the time it needed to have.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below

- Gamora's death was a bit underwhelming. I saw it coming (obviously), but I liked how Sad Thanos was about doing it.
- Was surprised about the Red Skull's cameo. Hope he comes back to fight Cap & Bucky.
- Humour a bit excessive, but none the less fine.
- Peter Dinklage's appearance is basically Tyrion if he didn't stop drinking after S4 of Game Of Thrones.
- The last ten minutes are great. Loved watching half the cast fade away.
- Wakanda battle was fun, but the airport battle in Civil War remains king.
- Still not understanding why Thanos wants to wipe out half the universe instead of all of it, or anyone that resists him.
- Loki's death was disappointing. Would rather he died later on, trying to ruse Thanos.
- Did Korg live? I must know!
- Iron Man is defo dying in Avengers 4. Anything not that will suck. Cap will likely too. Perhaps Hulk.
- Cliffhanger is good. All hope lies in Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp & Captain Marvel as the reinforcements.
One of the questions you have in the spoiler tags I will answer in more spoiler tags, to be respectful.

WARNING: spoilers below
Thanos wants to wipe out only half of the universe because his motivation for doing so is to end scarcity in the universe. He lived on a planet which was destroyed because there simply wasn't enough resources on the planet to sustain them, and they died out as a result. He sees a similar fate for the universe, that there's simply too much life for the amount of resources in the universe, and that a universal culling is necessary for the good of all life. From this twisted perspective, which is of course wrong both from a 'that much death is never justifiable' level and a 'there is no way there isn't enough resources to go around, they're just distributed poorly' level, he sees what he is doing as righteous and noble, that he is the only person in the universe who can see reality for what it is, and he has been burdened with the knowledge that only he can protect the universe from itself by 'balancing it' by cutting all life in half. Also he doesn't just kill anyone that resists him because he doesn't take pleasure in the act of killing, he's doing it because he sees it as necessary through his twisted worldview, so he only does so when necessary (which is unfortunately, '50% of all living things'. To me the larger issue is 'why not just like, wipe out a bunch of stuff that isn't sentient which must outnumber sentient beings by like 1000:1, but I guess if he did that there would be no movie at all, so I'm more than willing to suspend my disbelief on that).

(There's also a really interesting parallel between Thanos and Tony Stark that they teased which I really enjoyed thinking about, it was one of the more effective 'we're a lot alike, we're nothing alike' scenes I've seen in a movie, because it's subtle, but the subtext is very heavy).

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
just got back and i must say I loved it. Easily my favourite marvel movie.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I am beginning to wonder if the people who well are not the half who die if Thanos wins in this movie. I mean Could the X-men Mutants survive because they are not purely human or maybe Captain Marvel is so powerful that he ora cancels out the gloves effects. Maybe what saves Thor could be the son of Odin and Hulk the Gamma waves and Cap the serum. Also I am sure Tony, Cap, Thor and The Original Avengers have Plot Armor

Whats spoilers we hear Thanos say in the trailer half of humanity will still exsist. I havent seen the movie till sunday. I said if thanos wins in this movie. All the rest in my comments were guesses because most know there will be a 4th film

just got back and i must say I loved it. Easily my favourite marvel movie.
I don't know if it was my favorite Marvel movie, but this was what you wanted from a Lord of the Rings film or a Harry Potter film. Just this massive sweeping epic that was an installment of a bunch larger stories. And if I could rip on Justice League a bit...this film looked like it cost 300 million dollars to make, the CGI villains felt much more real, the action set pieces worked, the side stories worked (hello Last Jedi) and unlike Justice League which only really served 3 of the 6 main characters right this one went 20 deep.

Actually ranking the characters, plot lines and story I would go..

1. Star Lord
2. Doctor Strange (Marvel needs to go all in on Cumberbatch)
3. Thor
4. Spider-man (Tom Holland has become Marvel's Wolverine, I don't think you can cast anyone else as Spider-man)
5. Thanos (Brolin killed it)
6. Mantis (steals every scene she's in)
7. Iron Man
8. Gamora
9. Mysterious Cameo Person
The return of the Red Skull was pretty amazing

10. Ebony Maw (breakout character)
11. Hulk/Banner
12. Drax
13. Rocket
14. Okoye(they really gave Michonne a lot to do)
15. Black Widow
16. Captain America
17. War Machine(best showing yet for Cheadle)
18. Wong
19. Groot (this is the weakest Groot and still pretty solid)
20. Loki
21. Scarlet Witch
22. Vision
23. Proxima Midnight (her fight scenes are solid)
24. End Credit person
Fury does a lot in his minute of screen time

25. Black Panther
They used him the least and his death still had the loudest reaction in the theater

26. Nebula
(weakest of the GOTG chaarcters but I expect big things in the next one)

27. Black Dwarf (great thug)
28. Heimdall
29. Falcon (he was there)
30. Pepper Potts (disapproving wife character)
31. Other end credit person
32. Corvus Glave (weakest of the black order)
33. The Collector

I don't know if it was my favorite Marvel movie, but this was what you wanted from a Lord of the Rings film or a Harry Potter film. Just this massive sweeping epic that was an installment of a bunch larger stories. And if I could rip on Justice League a bit...this film looked like it cost 300 million dollars to make, the CGI villains felt much more real, the action set pieces worked, the side stories worked (hello Last Jedi) and unlike Justice League which only really served 3 of the 6 main characters right this one went 20 deep.

Actually ranking the characters, plot lines and story I would go..

1. Star Lord
2. Doctor Strange (Marvel needs to go all in on Cumberbatch)
3. Thor
4. Spider-man (Tom Holland has become Marvel's Wolverine, I don't think you can cast anyone else as Spider-man)
5. Thanos (Brolin killed it)
6. Mantis (steals every scene she's in)
7. Iron Man
8. Gamora
9. Mysterious Cameo Person
The return of the Red Skull was pretty amazing

10. Ebony Maw (breakout character)
11. Hulk/Banner
12. Drax
13. Rocket
14. Okoye(they really gave Michonne a lot to do)
15. Black Widow
16. Captain America
17. War Machine(best showing yet for Cheadle)
18. Wong
19. Groot (this is the weakest Groot and still pretty solid)
20. Loki
21. Scarlet Witch
22. Vision
23. Proxima Midnight (her fight scenes are solid)
24. End Credit person
Fury does a lot in his minute of screen time

25. Black Panther
They used him the least and his death still had the loudest reaction in the theater

26. Nebula
(weakest of the GOTG chaarcters but I expect big things in the next one)

27. Black Dwarf (great thug)
28. Heimdall
29. Falcon (he was there)
30. Pepper Potts (disapproving wife character)
31. Other end credit person
32. Corvus Glave (weakest of the black order)
33. The Collector
Captain america at 16 and black panther at 25? Are u serious?

Boldly going.
Excellent movie.
Starting with the choice of music playing with the Marvel Studio's logo, it's obvious that the movie's tone is definitely unique from any other Marvel movie thus far.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
My jaw dropped when Thanos kicked the crap out of the Hulk. I was also surprised to see Loki not side with Thanos. I also found it confusing that Heimdal used his last bridge to send Hulk away as opposed to his friend and Lord Thor (but Thor didn't die when the ship exploded anyways, so apparently he was right in this choice).

Thanos is the bad-ass we've been waiting for. I found his powers a little inconsistent, though - one moment he's turning Drax and Mantis into piles of rubble, the next he's wrestling with Iron Man and Spiderman.

I suspect the next movie will bring back those that disintegrated - some of these characters have upcoming sequels (eg. Black Panther, Spider Man). The Averngers will probably get the time stone back, reverse time (not sure who will do this since Strange is dead ... perhaps another wizard?) and have Thor chop off Thano's head (Thanos made a mistake in telling Thor this). Maybe they'll go back even further andGamora, Loki and Hiemdal too.

With Thanos being god-like now, I wonder if they'll merge Infinity War with Secret Wars, with Thanos playing the role of The Beyonder. Perhaps Thanos will create a Battle Planet and have the heroes fight one another gladiator-style.

9/10

This might just do nobody any good.
Why did they make Cumberbatch use an America accent for Strange?

This is totally unrelated to Infinity War and the discussion around it (i haven’t seen it yet) but it’s a thing that seems to only bug me.

Captain america at 16 and black panther at 25? Are u serious?
They would be on Wonder Woman's level in Justice League, good but not great. Really this could have been called Guardians of the Galaxy 3

60% GOTG
10% Avengers
10% Ironman
10% Thor

And the reasoning for this is fairly sound and this will be for after you see the film. big spoilers

By the end of the film all the Guardians save Rocket are dead. With Nebula and Tony stranded on Titan one would assume that's going to be the big subplot. Also with how the original story went and Nebula was such a major character in that story and a minor one here I would expect her to be one of the big leads.

It's interesting to point out the Earth survivors

War Machine - (to take over for Iron Man)
Hulk
Captain America
Black Widow
Rocket
Hawkeye - (who they didn't use)
Ant Man/Wasp - (who they didn't use)
Captain Marvel - (who was teased)

You've got basically the original team with a pair of proxies (Iron Man/War Machine, Rocket/Fury)

Space Team

Iron Man
Nebula
Valkyrie - (who they didn't use)
Adam Warlock - (who they continue to tease)

So now you've got to wonder if we'll get the Netflix guys, Fantastic Four, or X-men in the sequel.

Agree, Avengers wins because it is an emotional epic ride and every penny hits the screen. Meaning the action and set pieces are the best ever.

I filmed a Spoiler-Free review for my youtube channel if you guys would be interested in watching I'd really appreciate it

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Only seen it once, full review in my profile, but I agree with @Optimus I think this is my favorite MCU film. If The Last Jedi, and Infinity War show anything, is that Disney properties are starting to switch up their storytelling to more unconventional places, hell, from some insights that I know about Incredibles 2, I think this new Pixar film will also play out quite similarly. Infinity War actually made me excited for the future of Marvel, while I am a fan, none of their films have made me walk out feeling so hungry for what's next. until now.

WARNING: "Avengers: Intinity War" spoilers below
When I saw Thanos snap his fingers, and half of the cast fade from existence, my jaw dropped. I didn't even cry, or feel sad, I was too shocked that Marvel actually did something like this to react appropriately. And I F*cking LOVED IT! Ballsy, unexpected, exciting to see, it's actually gritty and new ground for a franchise that was starting to get old. I know most of them are not going to stay dead, cause Black Panther and Spider-Man died. If those two hadn't, I would've probably believed it, but knowing the future slate of Marvel's films, the tension was a bit undercut. I just HOPE there are lasting stakes, whether they bring everybody, or some back, I need there to be gravity, cause this is the kind of storytelling that I want to see from a 10 year culmination of a franchise.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
WARNING: "Avengers: Intinity War" spoilers below
When I saw Thanos snap his fingers, and half of the cast fade from existence, my jaw dropped. I didn't even cry, or feel sad, I was too shocked that Marvel actually did something like this to react appropriately. And I F*cking LOVED IT! Ballsy, unexpected, exciting to see, it's actually gritty and new ground for a franchise that was starting to get old. I know most of them are not going to stay dead, cause Black Panther and Spider-Man died. If those two hadn't, I would've probably believed it, but knowing the future slate of Marvel's films, the tension was a bit undercut. I just HOPE there are lasting stakes, whether they bring everybody, or some back, I need there to be gravity, cause this is the kind of storytelling that I want to see from a 10 year culmination of a franchise.
Agree 100% with all of this.

My review

I wonder in Avengers 4 after whatever happens in that movie. Maybe then we Start learning allot of people who did not Vanish were in deed Mutants like a few names pop up like Charles Xavier, Jean Grey and Logan. Or maybe people Start Getting Powers after Avengers 4 and because of the time change it brings Mutants in the MCU with Hank McCoy like outward mutations while Older Mutants able to hide there powers looks to form teams in the ,MCU first X-Men movie

Also answers to Jabba
I wonder in Avengers 4 after whatever happens in that movie. Maybe then we Start learning allot of people who did not Vanish were in deed Mutants like a few names pop up like Charles Xavier, Jean Grey and Logan. Or maybe people Start Getting Powers after Avengers 4 and because of the time change it brings Mutants in the MCU with Hank McCoy like outward mutations while Older Mutants able to hide there powers looks to form teams in the ,MCU first X-Men movie
Sounds like you are trying way too hard to have them introduce X-Men in the MCU. It's never going to happen during the 4th Avengers. It's hard to happen any time soon in general due to the X-Men already having an established franchise (that's now on its reboot years) and introducing Deadpool as well.

WARNING: "spoilers spoilers spoilers!" spoilers below
the wrong people "died", if they'd kept Spidey, Black Panther and Strange alive then maybe I would actually be worried that people won't be coming back in the next one, but everything will work out, it'll be the comicbook equivalent of "it was all a dream"
WARNING: "Infinity War" spoilers below
Yep, pretty much this. Most of the deaths I bought as possibly being permanent, until Black Panther. At that point I knew it couldn't last, so Parker dying didn't have much of an impact.

I can still appreciate how gutsy it is, but I'm pretty nervous about the movies becoming the same kind of convoluted retconned nightmare that comic books inevitably become, and it starts with stuff like deaths that don't really take and/or multiple universes, time travel, or the constant need to one-up themselves with mutants whose powers can reshape reality. That stuff has to be used sparingly, if at all, so I'm a little surprised and worried that something like this is part of the MCU, let alone this soon.

so Parker dying didn't have much of an impact.
It's in a spoiler but I specified a part of it. ^^

Funny because I knew going in that they're probably going to retcon everything. And I knew some of the deaths, including Peter. But that didn't change the fact that his death effing scarred me. Poor kid.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I was able to take my nephew yesterday and we both enjoyed it for the most part. There was a slow, epic feel to it all that felt just a bit out of sync with past movies in the MCU an, even with itself at times; but that was probably necessary given all the ground that had to be covered. I actually enjoyed that TBH.

WARNING: "to be safe" spoilers below
I found the weight and overall story well done too. But the details always get in the way for me, and Infinity War is no exception on that front. I felt that too many plot points were telegraphed as inevitable solutions to the situations presented. I also struggled with what I perceived as an inconsistent balance of power from one character to another and further, how some character strengths (and motivations, to a lesser extent) would change depending not on the already past demonstrated powers of the individual, but on the dramatic impact of the moment. This, like so many of my criticisms with movies in general, fall on the writers. I suppose that is a relatively minor gripe, but for a franchise that has been evolving for a decade, I would think these details should be a bit more thorough. Perhaps that's just OCD getting the best of me.

Great superhero movie expanding on our favorite Avengers all in all.

3.75/5

WARNING: "because" spoilers below
I thought Hal Jordan was DCEU? Regardless, I like that he went with a complimentary color change throughout this movie!