Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

movies can be okay...

- I'm probably among the minority with thinking that Bergman's performance was better than Ullmann's, nonetheless, they were both fantastic, just like the film itself.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

- I'm probably among the minority with thinking that Bergman's performance was better than Ullmann's, nonetheless, they were both fantastic, just like the film itself.
I agree with you... I also think this is one of Bergman's underrated movies.

The Other Side of Hope (2017) by Aki Kaurismäki

A deeply humanistic, albeit a bit romanticized, reflection on the current migrant crisis in Europe. Kaurismäki has a very distinct style and his characters are fine caricatures of humans which underlines the trajectory of the story. A very pleasant watch.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Cloud Atlas
+++ Everything is connected. Connecting several storylines, nevermind running them concurrently is NOT an easy thing to pull off, but Cloud Atlas does. Will be revisiting this at some point to better enjoy the nuances, which, at that point, most likely, it will make a 4 popcorn rating.

Three Days in Havana
+++ A very common plotline: a common man caught up thrown into a very dangerous scenario with very dangerous folks while drinking, very heavily, in Cuba. Enjoyed how it all worked out and the build up wasn't slow or tedious at all.

(REWATCH) Stars Wars: Rogue One
++ Loving this more and more. For me, it delivers even MORE than Star Wars Episode 7 (The Dysfunctional Offspring of an Iconic Couple).
Perhaps its my love of espionage styled movies, who knows, but I DO know I really love this movie.

The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies
+++ Based on True Events, regarding an elder scholar wrongfully portrayed by media for a murder he didn't commit. Simply because of his eccentricities.
While very slow paced, I was very caught up in this. And that has to do with the extraordinary portrayal of Jeffries, himself. A hidden gem on Netflix.

Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958) - Mario Monicelli

Hilarious comedy with an all-star assemble.

"The Poker House". Decent movie but let down by some saccharine acting. The story was good when it transpired.
3/5
"Knock Knock". Really awful when you do not want any of the protagonists to get through. I Include Evans (Keanu Reeves) wife in that also. I see they were going for a "Funny Games" aspect but it really didn't work. Keanu Reeves was going through the motions in this. A favour for Eli Roth?
1/5.

Dawn of the Dead remake 8/10

The Fly (1986)
Director: David Cronenberg

I didn't like Scanners or Videodrome that much, and thought The Dead Zone was mediocre aside from Walken's performance. I guess I'm not as goo goo over David Cronenberg as some others. I thought The Fly was the best work I've seen him do.

The effects were great, especially the scene where Brundle-fly punches a door frame into shreds of wood. It had an intensity and classic monster movie feel where you could sense a respectful homage was being paid, as well as some innovation in its own right for being a remake. Geena Davis does great work with her innocent porcelain face combined with a street smart "no nonsense" demeanor. She's short in the beginning, almost arrogant, but soon warms up to Goldblum's not quite cracked scientist charm.

Jeff Goldblum isn't the most attractive man, and that makes him perfect to play the housefly man mutant. His ghoulish stare and frazzled curly black hair takes to shadow in a most unflattering way, and that can make him seem scary. He's also built like a brick ***** house so that makes him physically threatening.

The story felt even, and the editing allowed this to happen, which I appreciated, as the ending kind of just lets the climax evaporate into the credit roll, just like an old movie would and should.

I also liked the relationship of pinching a baby's cheek to the abundance of flesh and how it makes people crazy. Interesting and a bit unsettling at once.

Hospital (1970) by Frederick Wiseman

An intriguing insight into the metropolitan hospital in the 70's. A very well composed and intense documentary. Highly recommended if you are into institutional documentaries.

I didn't like Scanners or Videodrome that much, and thought The Dead Zone was mediocre aside from Walken's performance.
Martin Sheen's great in that too.

I guess I'm not as goo goo over David Cronenberg as some others. I thought The Fly was the best work I've seen him do.
I think you're right.

Jeff Goldblum isn't the most attractive man, and that makes him perfect to play the housefly man mutant. His ghoulish stare and frazzled curly black hair takes to shadow in a most unflattering way, and that can make him seem scary. He's also built like a brick ***** house so that makes him physically threatening.
Yeah, he is intimidating – probably more so because he's so engaging and likeable at the beginning, so it's quite a shock.

Martin Sheen's great in that too.

I think you're right.

Yeah, he is intimidating – probably more so because he's so engaging and likeable at the beginning, so it's quite a shock.
Yes, of course, Martin Sheen. He adds goodness to any movie, even if he's a bit of a creep lol.

And yeah, totally. Goldblum is affable and then he turns brutal, but then he turns again into a combination of hideous, dangerous and sympathetic..he did terrific work with his arc.