Once- A Love Story

Tools    

Anybody catch this movie that came out in limited areas in USA May 16th 2007. It first came out in July 06 and made it into Ireland and other European film festivals and then in early 2007 came to American Film festivals.

A guy and a girl fall in love through music as they create songs that tell their love for eachother.

My friend rented this cause he thought I would like it, and he was right I did like it, mostly because the music in it is beautiful. The camera looks like its shot in a documentary like style (cause its low budget), that it looked like a movie that should be posted on youtube, that kinda annoyed me at first but it made it seem more real and you could see the connection between the too even though its so subtle sometimes. Also they sometimes talk like Brad Pitt from Snatch. but I got over that as well.

I don't normally like romance movies but you should mos def check this out, if only for the music even. I am going to go find and buy the soundtrack now.

If this openning credits scene doesn't intrigue you then I wouldn't bother.

^still in my head after 3 days...

Trailer
First song in trailer "Falling Slowly" is a nominee for Best Original Song this year at the Academy Awards. I hope it wins!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I recently saw this movie as well and loved it. Marketa Irglova is fantastic as the immigrant from the Czech Republic. Actually Glen Hansard is pretty wonderful too, but I absolutely fell in love with her. Neither of them are actors and they do one hell of a job. The two leads are dating in real life and they do have amazing chemistry.

The music is so beautiful and the characters are so involving that watching them sing together brought me to tears.

This movie is easily my favorite for the year.

This reminds me of the film Music and Lyrics. Since I dig romance, I'll try to check this one out.

I didn't know this film but since you recommended it..I'll try to watch it.

haven't seen this one,, could anyone tell me how good this movie

Put me in your pocket...
I recently saw this movie as well and loved it. Marketa Irglova is fantastic as the immigrant from the Czech Republic. Actually Glen Hansard is pretty wonderful too, but I absolutely fell in love with her. Neither of them are actors and they do one hell of a job. The two leads are dating in real life and they do have amazing chemistry.

The music is so beautiful and the characters are so involving that watching them sing together brought me to tears.

This movie is easily my favorites for the year.
I just saw Once this weekend and I loved it. Easily one of my top favorites from 2007. I agree with you Godoggo...Marketa and Glen are both wonderful. I hadn't heard of either of them and looked them up. I was surprized they were not actors, they were so natural in the touching scenes. I had to re-watch certain scenes with those beautiful songs a few times. I loved "Falling Slowly" (up for best song Oscar.) I also loved the "The Hill"...it made me weepy...and thinking about it still makes me weepy. Just beautiful.

Next chance I get, I'm buying the soundtrack.

Originally Posted by regina414
This reminds me of the film Music and Lyrics. Since I dig romance, I'll try to check this one out.
Have you seen it yet Regina? If you haven't, I wouldn't go into Once thinking it's like Music and Lyrics. It's completely different in story and tone. Music and Lyrics was a cute date movie, Once is more touching, thoughtful and moving.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I had to re-watch certain scenes with those beautiful songs a few times. I loved "Falling Slowly" (up for best song Oscar.) I also loved the "The Hill"...it made me weepy...and thinking about it still makes me weepy. Just beautiful.

Next chance I get, I'm buying the soundtrack.
I am so glad it had that effect on someone else. It's been awhile since a movie has grabbed a hold of me like that.

I really love this movie. It's a great example of how moving and powerful a movie can be without resorting to trying to manipulate the viewers emotions. I have watched it again since my first post in this thread and I love it even more.