Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It has to be one of the best opening sequences ever put in a movie, from A Touch of Evil, directed by Orson Welles. It appears to have been filmed real-time, one shot, with nearly 3D monochrome cinematography. An unknown guy, with a woman in the car, passes customs in a border town while a Mexican cop (Charlton Heston) on a date just happens to be there when the car explodes, apparently due to a bomb.

The moving frame of reference, mobil dolly shots, the musical and sonic background and (being noir), the light and shadow make this opening, as well as the rest of the movie, really interesting. On one scale, it's the 59th best movie ever made. I don't know, but it's really arresting, especially Welles himself, playing a bloated, cynical cop with a very low opinion of the Mexicans right on the other side of the street that's the border.

It's full of oblique angled shots, bongo drums, high contrast shots, minimalist sound FX, close ups and action shots. Great stuff

Кольская сверхглубокая (2020)
aka The Superdeep

A Russian horror somewhat reminiscent of The Thing with perhaps little Event Horizon and some cosmic horror thrown into the mix. Practical effects look really nice. It's a bit too long and there's some silliness in the script, but overall rather entertaining. Even the English dub is rather good.

Jerimiah Johnson,Robert Redford,Sydney Pollock's mountain Man epic,one of the best westerns ever made,huge hit when it came out,with a limited amount of publicity,it just had audiences captivated,I was thinking, if it was made today and they had the budget of something like the The Revenant,with those locations and modern film making progress,and Redford was at his peak now,instead of the seventies,what a movie it would be,yes the original 1972 was a masterpiece,but if done today it would be even better,but only with Redford,not someone like DiCaprio,just a what if speculation.

There's a murder on the Orient Express, some interrogations, then an ending. Pretty simple and I enjoyed it even if the ending was a little... I didn't like the ending. What it really has going for it is the cast, especially Albert Finney as Poirot, who are all fantastic. I had a blast watching Finney who is unrecognizable and plays Poirot just to the edge of being absurd but never crosses the line (maybe he does a little). His performance reminded me of a combination of a few other great performances - Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond, Peter Sellers as Chief Inspector Clouseau and Terry Jones as Mr. Creosote. He steals the show. I did have to use subtitles as either my sound is junk or the accents where just too thick for me to grasp what was being said and, being a talkie whodunnit, what they are saying is kind of important.

My Name Is Nobody (1973)

Charming film, think my rating was akin to yours Fabulous.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Compensation (Zeinabu irene Davis, 1999)
6/10
Les saignantes AKA The Bloodettes (Jean-Pierre Bekolo, 2005)
5/10
The Apostate (Federico Veiroj, 2015)
5.5/10
The Wonder of it All (Jeffrey Roth, 2007)
- 7/10

Brief history of the Apollo program and interviews with the men who walked on the moon.
The Misfits (Renny Harlin, 2021)
5/10
False Positive (John Lee, 2021)
6/10
Women (Anton Sigurdsson, 2021)
+ 4.5/10
Queen Bees (Michael Lembeck, 2021)
6/10

Women (Ellen Burstyn, Loretta Divine, Ann-Margret & Jane Curtin) at an old age home find adventure, romance and heartbreak.
The Ice Road (Jonathan Hensleigh, 2021)
6/10
A Perfect Enemy (Kike Maíllo, 2020)
5.5/10
Good on Paper (Kimmy Gatewood, 2021)
6/10
Wolfgang (David Gelb, 2021)
+ 6.5/10

History of chef Wolfgang Puck's rise to fame In Hollywood and on TV, often centering on problems with his family.
Boot Camp (Christian Duguay, 2008)
6/10
Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster (Robert Gaffney, 1965)
4/10
Gaia (Jaco Bouwer, 2021)
5.5/10
The Thief Who Came to Dinner (Bud Yorkin, 1973)
7/10

Consistently-playful heist movie about computer expert Ryan O'Neal and his accomplice Jacqueline BIsset battling wits with insurance investigator Warren Oates.
My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To (Jonathan Cuartas, 2020)
5.5/10
The Carnivores (Caleb Michael Johnson, 2020)
5/10
Stalker AKA Blinders (Tyler Savage, 2020)
5.5/10
Miranda Veil (Levin Garbisch, 2020)
6/10

Don't worry about Miranda Veil (Annabel Barrett) - she finds out she can't die when a wannabe serial killer (Zach Steffey) plans to make her his first victim.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Watched a lot of films but what's the point... Everything feels so inferior after having seen a mind-boggling masterpiece.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Double feature - Iffy Boston lowlifes

Killing Them Softly - Both these movies open more or less the same way with two lowlife criminals talking. This has Scoot McNairy and the usually faultless Ben Mendelssohn as Frankie and Russell, who are recruited by Johnny "Squirrel" Amato (Vincent Curatola) to hold up a mob run card game overseen by Markie Trattman (Ray Liotta). Amato figures it's the perfect target because, even though it's under mob protection, it's common knowledge that Trattman once knocked over his own game and somehow got away with it. The robbery results in the mob sending two hit men, Jackie (Brad Pitt) and Mickey (James Gandolfini) to hunt down and kill whoever was responsible. As you can see the cast is superlative and even the smaller roles have heavyweight talent involved with Richard Jenkins as Driver, a mob go between and Sam Shepherd in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it performance as legendary enforcer Dillon.

This was released in 2012 and is set during the U.S. financial crisis and presidential election campaign of 2008. There are pains taken by director Andrew Dominik to draw parallels between the criminal underworld and the machinations of the financial elites culminating in a short monologue by Pitt's character at the end. Despite the amazing cast and the capable direction by Dominik this never quite takes that last step towards being a showpiece gangster flick.

Free Fire - This is also set in Boston but 30 years earlier. It's 1978 and two IRA members Chris (Cillian Murphy) and Frank (Michael Smiley) are waiting outside an abandoned factory along with Justine (Brie Larsen). She's the intermediary in the gun deal that's about to go down. They're waiting on Ord (Armie Hammer) the sellers representative and for the two lowlife half wits that will be handling transporting the guns, Frank's cousin Stevo (Sam Riley) and his friend Bernie (Enzo Cilenti). They're mirror images for Frankie and Russell in KTS in that for all their tough guy posturing and F bombs the viewer will find it hard to see them as anything but a couple of actors acting. Anyway, all the parties finally show and go inside where the other myriad characters are waiting. These include loathsome arms dealer Vernon, (a marvelous Sharito Copley) his maltreated second-in-command Martin (Babou Ceesay) and henchmen Harry (Jack Reynor) and Gordon (Noah Taylor). Because of one of those only-in-the-movies coincidences, Harry and Stevo get into an argument which, given all the firepower being both carried and sold, quickly escalates into a huge chaotic firefight. A gun battle which takes up the rest of the movies runtime. It's not continuous of course with double and triple crosses and both sides scheming to form alliances and ultimately leave with the payment, a briefcase filled with money.

I think it had a rough beginning but all due credit should go to director Ben Wheatley for actually making the grandiose concept of a protracted gun battle not only work but keep it engaging. I really liked the two Wheatley movies I'd seen, Kill List and Down Terrace and even though I didn't find this as good as those it's still worth a watch. If only to see someone with the audacity to take anyone elses crescendo and turn it into a full length movie.

It has to be one of the best opening sequences ever put in a movie, from A Touch of Evil, directed by Orson Welles. It appears to have been filmed real-time, one shot, with nearly 3D monochrome cinematography. An unknown guy, with a woman in the car, passes customs in a border town while a Mexican cop (Charlton Heston) on a date just happens to be there when the car explodes, apparently due to a bomb.

The moving frame of reference, mobil dolly shots, the musical and sonic background and (being noir), the light and shadow make this opening, as well as the rest of the movie, really interesting. On one scale, it's the 59th best movie ever made. I don't know, but it's really arresting, especially Welles himself, playing a bloated, cynical cop with a very low opinion of the Mexicans right on the other side of the street that's the border.

It's full of oblique angled shots, bongo drums, high contrast shots, minimalist sound FX, close ups and action shots. Great stuff

I agree. One of the great American films. Perhaps even top 50. Wonderful opening scene, as you say. That long take is always included in anthologies of highly rated long take sequences.

PHILADELPHIA
(1993, Demme)
A film about LGBTQ+ lifestyles

"Look, the place that cradled me is burning... I'm alone."

Philadelphia follows the events that led Andrew to this state, as he was inexplicably fired by his law firm. To aid him, he recruits fellow attorney Joe Miller (Denzel Washington) to help him prove that the dismissal was not only because of his AIDS diagnosis, but simply because he's gay.

This is probably the third or fourth time I see this film. I read a review from the late 2000s where I was a bit more enthusiastic, but make no mistake: this is still a very powerful film with two excellent performances in the lead. Washington is his usual cool, laid-back self, but excels when the moment calls for him to show fear, ignorance, and lack of understanding.

But oh my, how good is Tom Hanks in this. Yes, at the time it was a surprising turn from an actor that specialized in comedies and lighter fare. But seeing it now, already used to Hanks as a serious actor, I found his performance just as powerful as before, if not more. There are lots of moments of nuance and subtlety in his performance, but the way he peaks in the above quoted scene is magnificent.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I'm not doing noir tonight, but Hitchcock. It's The Rear Window, a high-color, brightly lit, anti-noir movie. It's really quite a period piece. It has James Stewart being, well, James Stewart and Grace Kelly, before she became a princess in Monte Carlo. It's really a quiet movie, with little soundtrack music other than an across-the-alley pianist practicing, the music echoing across the alley. Dialog is quiet and action is nearly nil because Stewart's character, a news photog, is laid up with a broken leg, watching his neighbors out of the rear window of an apartment in "The City". Murder is afoot. Raymond Burr, who is NOT Perry Mason yet, did it. This really is good.

Silence Of The Lambs (Demme, '91)

Have the lambs stopped screaming yet?

WARNING: spoilers below
When it comes to the kind of movies that typically come to mind when you think of Best Picture winners, what pops up first? Do you think of an emotionally solemn, three hour black-and-white drama about The Holocaust? Or maybe a classy Mafia epic, driven by one man's slow but inevitable fall from moral grace? How about a disturbing, repulsively grimy thriller about an FBI agent's race to catch a serial killer before he slays and skins his next victim? Wait, that last one sounds a bit out of place, doesn't it? Well, if that's the case, then it's an eternal credit to the skill of the artists involved in making Silence Of The Lambs that the film managed to transcend its lurid trappings in the process of becoming a great film, one that not only won an aforementioned Best Picture Oscar, that not only additionally dominated that year's ceremony with its rare haul of all five "top" Oscars (Picture, Director, Actress, Actor, and Screenplay), but has also stood tall in the past thirty years as a truly iconic work of modern film, and one of the most influential Thrillers to ever come out of Hollywood to boot.

Adapted from the novel of the same name by Thomas Harris (who's actually from my hometown of Jackson, Tennessee; woot!), Silence tells the story of Clarice Starling, a young FBI trainee who is tasked with the "interesting errand" of profiling Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant but utterly sadistic serial killer, in the desperate hope that doing so may lend some psychological insight into the mindset of another killer, "Buffalo Bill", before he can notch up yet another victim. However, when it's unexpectedly discovered that Lecter has a personal connection to Bill deep in his murky past, his relevance to the case suddenly becomes one of upmost importance, with his captors, the politically powerful family of Bill's latest intended victim, and the FBI as a whole all jockeying to position themselves close to the fine (not so young) cannibal, all the while his real subject of interest remains Clarice, and the series of sadistic mind games he repeatedly ensnares her in.

It's the central dynamic that gives the film its drive, with both actors putting on superb, Oscar-worthy (and more importantly, Oscar-winning) performances, with Anthony Hopkins' Lecter making for a one-of-a-kind, highly cultured killer, one who's always acutely aware of his surroundings, seeming like he's in complete control of his situation at all times, even when he's trapped in a glass box, or completely restrained from head-to-toe. He sort of comes off like a giant spider wearing human skin, luring its victims into his web with his particular brand of mind games, as he's immediately able to zero in on his prey's deepest insecurities and fears, abusing his intellectual brilliance in psychiatry for his own sinister means, as he always knows just what to say or do in order to get under other people's skin (in more ways than one, as a shocking mid-film development shows).

On the other hand, while Jodie Foster's Clarice hasn't become quite as big a cultural icon (because who else could've, honestly?), she makes up for it with her overall relatability, serving as an empathetic "everywoman" surrounded by a bunch of freaks, and showcasing a shaky vulnerability in a world full of predatory men throughout (particularly in the scene where she recounts her worst childhood memory, which nearly certainly cinched her that Best Actress Oscar), while also showing a certain resilience and resourcefulness at the same time, whether it be her taking the initiative to open up a long deserted crime scene, boldly taking down a killer single-handedly, or continually being the only character clever enough to decipher the cryptic trail of clues Hannibal leaves behind him everywhere he goes. However, even though that process brings her ever closer to solving the case, it still ends up unlocking her darkest, most personal secrets at the time, leaving her with fresh scars on her psyche, and the question of whether it was all worth it by the film's end.

However, what is not even remotely in question for us is if Silence was worth the time it takes to watch it, since the answer to that is a resounding "YES", as the film simultaneously submerses us in a deep, dark world of serial killers, a world comprised of dank, dungeon-like psychiatric facilities, abandoned storage units that hold nasty surprises within, and grimy, labyrinthine killers' lairs, while also avoiding a potentially trashy, exploitative overall tone at the same time, with the combination of Harris's strong underlying source material (which managed to carry even a hack like Brett Ratner to a solid film with Red Dragon) and Johnathan Demme's classy, intelligent overall direction of the film, as Silence contains the most striking examples of the technique that Demme was best known for, that of having his actors looking directly into the camera, in order to bring a whole new level of intimacy to the film, one that makes us feel as one with the characters, even when we'd really rather not. It's a film that doesn't flinch one bit from peering deep down into the darkness of the human soul, bringing back with it some of the most iconic performances in modern film, an undeniably blurring of the line between "high" & "low" art in cinema, and what has to be admitted as just a great filmmaking in general, regardless of how disturbed it may make one feel personally; if you don't agree, then feel free to go eat your own liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Final Score: 9

The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976

Eastwood will forever be a badass. Movie was all you want out of an Eastwood western. Like most older movies I don't plan on revisiting it anytime soon but I sure do appreciate watching it. Eastwood just knows how to make a God damn Western. I wish someone would wise up and make one with his son Scott. Hell Eastwood should direct one with his son, that would be amazing. Looks just like him. This movie probably doesn't fly to great now a days as it shows sympathy towards the South during the Civil War even though in the end it feels neutral. Eastwood is great per usual. Just throw him in any Western and it automatically gets boosted up a point. I not sure what else to say it's Eastwood in a Western it's gold.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976

Eastwood will forever be a badass. Movie was all you want out of an Eastwood western. Like most older movies I don't plan on revisiting it anytime soon but I sure do appreciate watching it. Eastwood just knows how to make a God damn Western. I wish someone would wise up and make one with his son Scott. Hell Eastwood should direct one with his son, that would be amazing. Looks just like him. This movie probably doesn't fly to great now a days as it shows sympathy towards the South during the Civil War even though in the end it feels neutral. Eastwood is great per usual. Just throw him in any Western and it automatically gets boosted up a point. I not sure what else to say it's Eastwood in a Western it's gold.

I would've gone somewhat higher on my score for Josey Wales, but I'm glad you liked it anyway; by the way, have you seen Unforgiven yet? Because as far as Eastwood Westerns go (of the ones he directed himself, at least), it definitely feels like the ultimate culmination of his career, helping to deconstruct his work in a genre he helped to define for decades, you know?

If this film was only Dicky for two hours would be five stars. Christian Bale is really a fantastic actor. You can sense he takes acting very seriously, not Daniel Day-Lewis seriously, but seriously. I want to see the real HBO documentary "Crack in America".

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54093390

Wind River - (2017)

Pretty solid murder mystery from Taylor Sheridan, set in the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming. A place where nobody is interested, and the FBI send one of their most inexperienced to solve a case where a multiple-rape victim was forced to flee and die in the snow. Cory Lambert (Jeremy Renner) is a hunter however, and lost his young daughter in similar circumstances. The two team up on an emotional journey. Highlights the plight of women on these reservations where hundreds of violent murders are barely investigated. Performances from Renner and Elizabeth Olsen make this better than the average take on hunting down rapists/murderers and the trauma they inflict on their communities.

7/10

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61421007

Rambo : Last Blood - (2019)

I'm so embarrassed for watching this.

3/10

The Thief Who Came to Dinner (Bud Yorkin, 1973)
7/10

Consistently-playful heist movie about computer expert Ryan O'Neal and his accomplice Jacqueline Basset battling wits with insurance investigator Warren Oates.
Watch-listed!

Nomadland 2020 Chloé Zhao

"It's strange that you encourage people to invest their whole life savings, go into debt, just to buy a house they can't afford."
+

Greenland 2020 Ric Roman Waugh