MoFo Movie Roulette

Tools    

@Citizen Rules

So, just to keep the joke alive, all these feature little girls Two of these I've found from this very thread, and one was even nominated for you earlier, but you chose another film.

Sundays and Cybele (1962)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)

@Citizen Rules

So, just to keep the joke alive, all these feature little girls Two of these I've found from this very thread, and one was even nominated for you earlier, but you chose another film.

Sundays and Cybele (1962)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)
Good choices for me, thanks! I probably would like them all, but I'll chose:

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) I keep hearing good things about that. I'll post yours in a short while, I just need to find one more possible movie for you.

@pahaK

You've aready seen some of my best choices for you like Forbidden Games (1952), I hope those work for you, I did try to find something you might like.

Iron Sky (2012)
The Big Combo (1955)
Lilya 4-Ever (2002)

@pahaK

You've aready seen some of my best choices for you like Forbidden Games (1952), I hope those work for you, I did try to find something you might like.

Iron Sky (2012)
The Big Combo (1955)
Lilya 4-Ever (2002)
I hated Iron Sky. Lilya 4-Ever I saw a long time ago, but I think I liked it. That leaves only The Big Combo. I haven't seen too many noirs, and the results have been quite mixed. We'll see how this fares.

I hated Iron Sky. Lilya 4-Ever I saw a long time ago, but I think I liked it. That leaves only The Big Combo. I haven't seen too many noirs, and the results have been quite mixed. We'll see how this fares.
These were the other films I had for you, but then I checked and you had seen them.

Forbidden Games (1952)
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
Empire of Passion (1978)
If.... (1968)

Let the night air cool you off
@jiraffejustin

JJ have you seen Shura (Demons) 1971?
I have not. I live in Texas, so I won’t be able to get to it until I have consistent wifi again.

Let me know if you can find Clash (2016), it’s an Egyptian film. If not, I’ll give you some more options.

I have not. I live in Texas, so I won’t be able to get to it until I have consistent wifi again.

Let me know if you can find Clash (2016), it’s an Egyptian film. If not, I’ll give you some more options.
I'll get you a link and check for yours.

Found it

@John Dumbear

My recommendations for you are:

Black Moon (1975) Directed by Louis Malle and starring Cathryn Harrison, this weird and wonderful fantasy drama is about a young woman who meets a strange family at a remote farmhouse, complete with a talking unicorn and naked children.

Ace in the Hole (1951) Directed by Billy Wilder and starring Kirk Douglas, this film is about a journalist who exploits the story of a man trapped in a cave, only to have the situation escalate out of control.

Dressed to Kill (1980) Directed by Brian De Palma and starring Michael Caine, Angie Dickinson, and Nancy Allen. A fun mystery/thriller about a call girl who becomes a target after witnessing a murder.

Hopefully, one of these will work for you. Happy viewing!

Round 5

------------------------
@Allaby
@John Dumbear
--------------------------

Hmmm...Really don't know your taste except for your top ten and this thread. So, I'll just throw some '70s stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

"Summer of '42" ('71 - Mulligan)
During his summer vacation on Nantucket Island in 1942, a youth eagerly awaiting his first sexual encounter finds himself developing an innocent love for a young woman awaiting news on her soldier husband's fate in WWII.

"Sorcerer" ('77 - Friedkin)
Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.

"The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" ('76 - Cassevetes)
A proud strip club owner is forced to come to terms with himself as a man, when his gambling addiction gets him in hot water with the mob, who offer him only one alternative.

Round 5

------------------------
@Allaby
@John Dumbear
--------------------------

Hmmm...Really don't know your taste except for your top ten and this thread. So, I'll just throw some '70s stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

"Summer of '42" ('71 - Mulligan)
During his summer vacation on Nantucket Island in 1942, a youth eagerly awaiting his first sexual encounter finds himself developing an innocent love for a young woman awaiting news on her soldier husband's fate in WWII.

"Sorcerer" ('77 - Friedkin)
Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.

"The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" ('76 - Cassevetes)
A proud strip club owner is forced to come to terms with himself as a man, when his gambling addiction gets him in hot water with the mob, who offer him only one alternative.

I’ve seen Killing of a Chinese Bookie and really liked it. I haven’t seen the other two yet. I will go with Summer of 42.

I just finished watching Summer of '42 (1971), recommended by @John Dumbear. Directed by Robert Mulligan, this romantic drama stars Jennifer O'Neill and Gary Grimes. A teen in the summer of 1942 falls for a married woman. I liked this film. The screenplay was well written and the cinematography was lovely. Gary Grimes did a good job and I found him believable and likeable. Jennifer O'Neill is beautiful and captivating here. The film is somewhat formulaic and predictable, but still enjoyable. My rating is a
. Thanks for the recommendation, @John Dumbear.

Clash (2016)
Chosen by jiraffejustin

This was a great pick because it was not known to me and it's a hell of a movie. It's Arabic, set in Egypt amid actual times of political and religious unrest. It's a one location film set entirely in the back of a paddy wagon. I've seen movies with this concept, one in this Roulette game even, and they've been good movies but yet I felt they could only take me so far. With this movie, you have a variety of people with different beliefs trapped inside together. The difference is that there's bars on the windows and they're mobile. You feel like you're in the vehicle as you see what they're seeing outside. This is a very intense movie that's often upsetting, and much of it is because of blind and unnecessary hate. I bet there are many Hollywood executives trying to figure out how to remake this. More people should see it and they will.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sorry for drifting behind, I WILL be watching @John Dumbear's nom, White Boy Rick this weekend and in the meantime, here are my noms for @TheUsualSuspect:

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) Sean Connery and Michael Caine team up beautifully for this John Huston film based on a Rudyard Kipling story of two former British soldiers in India looking to be more than just ordinary men set in 19th century India.
The Dirty Dozen (1967) Lee Marvin has been given a suicide mission into the enemy's territory on the verge of D-Day during WWII. And his squad? A stellar cast of psychopaths with death sentences that he must whip into a cohesive unit.
It Happened One Night (1934) This is a bit of a wild card for you - a comedic road trip with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert that you may(may not) get a kick out of.

@John Dumbear

My recommendations for you are:

Black Moon (1975) Directed by Louis Malle and starring Cathryn Harrison, this weird and wonderful fantasy drama is about a young woman who meets a strange family at a remote farmhouse, complete with a talking unicorn and naked children.

Ace in the Hole (1951) Directed by Billy Wilder and starring Kirk Douglas, this film is about a journalist who exploits the story of a man trapped in a cave, only to have the situation escalate out of control.

Dressed to Kill (1980) Directed by Brian De Palma and starring Michael Caine, Angie Dickinson, and Nancy Allen. A fun mystery/thriller about a call girl who becomes a target after witnessing a murder.

Hopefully, one of these will work for you. Happy viewing!

Sorry for being so darn late. But sadly, well not sadly, I've seen all three of your choices. I liked two of the three and leave it at that...lol

I just finished watching Summer of '42 (1971), recommended by @John Dumbear. Directed by Robert Mulligan, this romantic drama stars Jennifer O'Neill and Gary Grimes. A teen in the summer of 1942 falls for a married woman. I liked this film. The screenplay was well written and the cinematography was lovely. Gary Grimes did a good job and I found him believable and likeable. Jennifer O'Neill is beautiful and captivating here. The film is somewhat formulaic and predictable, but still enjoyable. My rating is a
. Thanks for the recommendation, @John Dumbear.

Cool! glad you liked it, It was my favorite romantic film as a teen. Need to revisit it, for its been decades.

Sorry for being so darn late. But sadly, well not sadly, I've seen all three of your choices. I liked two of the three and leave it at that...lol
I will find 3 new recommendations for you and post them shortly.

My three new recommendations are:

Buddy Bebop vs the living dead (2009) Fun independent comedy/horror.

I am a good person/I am a bad person (2011) Canadian film about a mother and daughter touring film festivals in Europe.

Black Cop (2017) A really interesting Canadian film about a black cop who decides to racially profile white people. I found this funny, disturbing and smart with a fantastic lead performance.

@Citizen Rules

The Big Combo (1955)

I don't have much to write about this (I've tried to scribble something for the past two days with rather poor success) so I'll keep this short. It's basically a mediocre noir. It has the awesome looks often characteristic to the genre, but the story itself is a bit lame and oddly focused. I guess some of the issues stem from the Hays Code, but I didn't like the way the whole investigation seemed to center around a name traced on a foggy window.

So, outside the visuals, there's nothing remarkably good (or bad) in The Big Combo. Conte is a little cheesy as Mr. Brown, Lee Van Cleef is good as usual, and there's quite little to do for the ladies. In few years, I probably don't remember seeing this.