Your Favorite Invention Since the Internet?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
DVR (Digital Video Recorder)... on Comcast anyway. I imagine TiVo is very similar.

I haven't seen a commercial in years. And it's nice if I'm watch the basketball game. If it's a blowout, I can fast-forward until its a close game. It also seems many great things are on when I sleep. The main benefit is simply placing automatic recordings on my favorite directors, actors, people, and they do the rest.

Yeah, a lot of the New Things are overhyped or maybe not worth fiddling around with if you're not into that kind of thing, but I always said to grandparents and the like that the two worth actually getting comfortable with were cell phones, and DVR. The two easiest and simplest quality of life improvements for the most people, day-to-day.

Anyway, not really inventions, but two things changed my daily life the most:

1) Good phone GPS. I hate trying to figure out where new places are on the fly, or having to print out directions and double and triple check things and all that. Being able to mostly just punch something into my phone and be taken there has been massive. It's made softball and travel and all sorts of other things so much easier.

2) Ride sharing. Same thing, particularly given the travel we've done over the last 5-10 years. Knowing you could get around a new place easily in a pinch even without your car really freed us up to do whatever when we're in a new place.

For me the best/'most useful' invention since the internet is Ruko. I never streamed until I got a Ruko device half a year ago. Now I can watch TONS of stuff for free. Yeah there's commercials and I hate those, but...I hit the mute button and somehow not having commercials scream at you makes them 85% better and the channels I watch have really short commercials.

I've never used a DVR except for a VHS to DVD recorder. I used that to copy some family memories from the old VHS tapes to DVD.

I got my wife a smart phone for the first time about 3 months ago, I still hate it and never use it. She doesn't use it either and we have a very limited $8 month plan but that does include unlimited calls and texting from 50 countries.

I love my multi-region dvd player. Being able to watch a movie from any country in the world is major IMO.

Easy. The Squatty-Potty.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1. Mapquest for printing out directions

2. streaming video--until now--Everything is monetized or about to be monetized. I was going to watch Rebecca. but I could not find it. Are they hiding all the classics or something? What gives? I should have spent money on DVD's instead of streaming services. Grrrrr!

3. the cell phone-- I came late to this party but wow! This is the biggest game changer. Everything available everywhere. At least its not all at once.

streaming video--until now--Everything is monetized or about to be monetized. I was going to watch Rebecca. but I could not find it. Are they hiding all the classics or something? What gives? I should have spent money on DVD's instead of streaming services. Grrrrr!
Amazingly, I can’t find it streaming anywhere either.

Online Video Streaming Service.
It is because we can watch our favorite shows anywhere and anytime.

2. streaming video--until now--Everything is monetized or about to be monetized. I was going to watch Rebecca. but I could not find it. Are they hiding all the classics or something? What gives? I should have spent money on DVD's instead of streaming services. Grrrrr!
This is becoming a real problem for some people and we're all losing out to an extent. This short article presents the issue quite well.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/netf...b-global-en-GB

As for myself, it's probably the DVR (I have Sky Q) as I had to use tapes to record what I wanted before and only one thing at a time, which was mostly fine when we only had 4 channels, but the advent of digital (and the amount of TV I watch) meant that that soon became problematic.

That said, atm, it's the Velvetiser, which I use every day and I adore it. If you love hot chocolate and can afford to treat yourself, and buy chocolate for it, it's worth it.

That said, atm, it's the Velvetiser, which I use every day and I adore it. If you love hot chocolate and can afford to treat yourself, and buy chocolate for it, it's worth it.
Dumbass website won’t let me copy a link for this amazing machine. It looks fantastic.

Streaming everything. For me, streaming video and streaming music have been important reservoirs of exposure to all sorts of great cinema and music. I feel like we are that much more sophisticated about this stuff now because of it, and younger generations wanting to participate artistically have been able to consume the largest cheeseboard of art that's ever been available and hone their knowledge and craft.

Wireless blue tooth speakers that run for hours on a charge. Never need a boom box again. Great portable sound.