Spam my WAR Countdown ballot!...movie recommendations needed

Tools    

I don't think there's a H'Wood studio brave enough to fund that film and there's probably not a writer rich enough to bother writing it. It'd probably be populated with British actors doing American accents because there probably isn't a H'Wood actor brave enough to play the part of a doubting US politician/ordinary citizen/military man to the point where there'd probably have to create a Lady Macbeth type to put all the blame on for why the man didn't send troops to fight Nazis for 2 years and, even when they did, it was because Hitler declared war on the US.

I think we can all see why that film hasn't been made for a US audience in the last 70 years.
I know what you mean. I read yesterday that before Pearl Harbor there was an organization called America First with 800,000 members and they vehemently opposed the U.S. being involved in another war. And that sentiment was pretty strong with the general populace too. That all changed of course after Pearl Harbor and Wake Island.

Wake Island (John Farrow 1942)

Historically interesting from a cinematic historical viewpoint as this movie was being quickly made while the Marines on Wake Island were fighting for their lives. The full story of Wake wasn't known until after the war was over. The film focuses on what was known back in December of 1941 when a small contingency of Marines were defending the island from Imperial Japanese naval forces. The Marines successfully held off the enemy for 15 days without resupply or outside help...after which they were ordered to surrender by their commanding officer. In the movie they fight off the Japanese navy and finally are all killed. Not very accurate but as it was war it's understandable that the film would show these on par with the defenders of the Alamo.

The first part of the film has Marines played by William Bendix and Robert Preston having near comical light moments which seemed an odd choice given the dire straits that the Marines found themselves in later.

Stalag 17 (Billy Widler)

Name a war movie where a famous director appears as an actor portraying a German Commandant in a WWII POW camp?
Answer: Otto Preminger in Stalag 17.

Whenever Billy Wilder wrote and directed a movie it's usually worth watching and Stalag 17 is no exception. One of my favorite Wilder films and one of my favorite war films too. William Holden is perfectly cast and backed up by a choice cast including an excellent performance by Otto Preminger and with heavy hitting character actors like Nevile Brand, Robert Strauss and an early appearance by Peter Graves.

+

Last night I stayed up till 3:00 am watching Objective, Burma! (1945)

This was a solid war movie with a nice blend of realism, action and suspense.

WARNING: "Spoiled" spoilers below
During WWII, a large platoon of U.S. paratroopers are dropped into the Burmese jungle to destroy a Japanese communications outpost. The mission goes off without a hitch, that is until the proposed pick up time when planes can't land on a field because the Japanese military is moving in. (Of course, this was before helicopters which would later make extracting troops much easier.) After that, everything goes downhill for the Americans as their plight becomes an hourly fight for survival.

Errol Flynn is the only major star, but the rest of the cast is filled out by familiar 2nd stringers with names most people don't know. I was pleased when I spotted and immediately identified Anthony Caruso - best known for his role as Bela Oxymyx in the Star Trek episode: "A Piece of the Action."

(People may also spot Beaver's dad: Hugh Beaumont, and "Mr Kravitz" (from Bewitched): George Tobias.)

My only criticism is my most frequent one: at 2 hours & 22 minutes it's a bit on the long side - I think if they'd made it 20 minutes shorter it would've been just about perfect.

I give it

Last night I stayed up till 3:00 am watching Objective, Burma! (1945)

This was a solid war movie with a nice blend of realism, action and suspense.

WARNING: "Spoiled" spoilers below
During WWII, a large platoon of U.S. paratroopers are dropped into the Burmese jungle to destroy a Japanese communications outpost. The mission goes off without a hitch, that is until the proposed pick up time when planes can't land on a field because the Japanese military is moving in. (Of course, this was before helicopters which would later make extracting troops much easier.) After that, everything goes downhill for the Americans as their plight becomes an hourly fight for survival.

Errol Flynn is the only major star, but the rest of the cast is filled out by familiar 2nd stringers with names most people don't know. I was pleased when I spotted and immediately identified Anthony Caruso - best known for his role as Bela Oxymyx in the Star Trek episode: "A Piece of the Action."

(People may also spot Beaver's dad: Hugh Beaumont, and "Mr Kravitz" (from Bewitched): George Tobias.)

My only criticism is my most frequent one: at 2 hours & 22 minutes it's a bit on the long side - I think if they'd made it 20 minutes shorter it would've been just about perfect.

I give it
I've seen Objective, Burma! (1945) and really liked it. More so than many WWII films that were made during the war. I thought it was pretty exciting film and Errol Flynn is always personable on screen. I gotta watch that one again, thanks for reminding me of it.

I've seen Objective, Burma! (1945) and really liked it. More so than many WWII films that were made during the war. I thought it was pretty exciting film and Errol Flynn is always personable on screen. I gotta watch that one again, thanks for reminding me of it.
Yes. I was impressed. So many war films were cranked out during the war that some seemed like cookie-cutter copies (and thus were a bit mediocre or came off a simple rah-rah propaganda films). I think this one benefitted from a plot that followed just one mission (rather than trying to use it as a look at the entire war). It was genuinely tense.

It also kind of bought into the cliché of the diverse platoon shown in so many WWII movies: (the guy from Brooklyn, the Italian guy, the Jewish guy) but at the same time veered away from it - almost like it was about to cleverly touch upon it, but then move away before the cliché could be fully carried out - which was an interesting touch.

One scene I noted which I believe was copied in Aliens(1986)... right before the parachute drop, the camera pans the soldiers as each one is preparing in a different way (one's reading a small bible, one's just staring, one's doing Rosary beads, one's sharpening a knife, and then the camera stops on the last one who is fast asleep - which is funny, since all the rest seem somewhat nervous). Excepting what the soldiers were doing, it seemed like the scene in Aliens was an almost frame by frame homage.

Yes. I was impressed. So many war films were cranked out during the war that some seemed like cookie-cutter copies (and thus were a bit mediocre or came off a simple rah-rah propaganda films). I think this one benefitted from a plot that followed just one mission (rather than trying to use it as a look at the entire war). It was genuinely tense.

It also kind of bought into the cliché of the diverse platoon shown in so many WWII movies: (the guy from Brooklyn, the Italian guy, the Jewish guy) but at the same time veered away from it - almost like it was about to cleverly touch upon it, but then move away before the cliché could be fully carried out - which was an interesting touch.

One scene I noted which I believe was copied in Aliens(1986)... right before the parachute drop, the camera pans the soldiers as each one is preparing in a different way (one's reading a small bible, one's just staring, one's doing Rosary beads, one's sharpening a knife, and then the camera stops on the last one who is fast asleep - which is funny, since all the rest seem somewhat nervous). Excepting what the soldiers were doing, it seemed like the scene in Aliens was an almost frame by frame homage.
"the guy from Brooklyn"...it had to be George Tobias am I right?

It's interesting that Objective Burma! is 2 hours 20 minutes long, that's long for way back then. Today that's the usual runtime for a movie but in the 1940s an action film would be more like 1 hour 45 minutes.

I'll have to see if I can spot the Aliens frame by frame homage. I did once see a 1950s b horror film that was literally the same scene and shot in Aliens when Ripley is holding the little girl and the creature is inches from them and she tells the kid to look away. I couldn't believe I seen the same scene in this old creature feature.

It's been decades so I'd like to see Stalag 17 again.
I liked that William Holden's character never deviates from looking out for himself first and foremost. That made his character seem all the more real to me. One of my fav war films from one of my fav directors.

"the guy from Brooklyn"...it had to be George Tobias am I right?

It's interesting that Objective Burma! is 2 hours 20 minutes long, that's long for way back then. Today that's the usual runtime for a movie but in the 1940s an action film would be more like 1 hour 45 minutes.

I'll have to see if I can spot the Aliens frame by frame homage. I did once see a 1950s b horror film that was literally the same scene and shot in Aliens when Ripley is holding the little girl and the creature is inches from them and she tells the kid to look away. I couldn't believe I seen the same scene in this old creature feature.
You are correct. And whenever Tobias threw a grenade he yelled "Mazel Tov!"
And I couldn't figure out if that was for the benefit of one of his comrades (who I'd assume was the "Jewish guy" - something led me to believe that the first time it happened), or, if Tobias himself was the "Jewish guy" in addition to being the guy from Brooklyn, or, being the guy from Brooklyn, he was also the comic relief and it was just something he yelled when he threw a grenade.

Runtime - most definitely! I was not planning on staying up till 3:00 am!

In Aliens, I believe it was Hicks who was asleep when they "drop." (At one point the Sgt. says, "And somebody wake up Hicks!") I did find the scene in Aliens, and found my memory is not exactly accurate - it's similar to the scene in Objective, Burma! but hardly "frame by frame".
There was another similar scene with a drop-ship in Starship Troopers where each soldier is shown to be reacting differently - one is puking, one is howling with delight, etc.

*girl not included
But you do get stuck in a sub with a bunch of smelly guys!

It's time for me to get back to this thread! I've been watching war movies almost every night, I just haven't had the time to write about them, until now!

Patton
(1970)

Is there any other image so striking from Patton? I think not. George C. Scott is all kinds of great in this movie about the American WWII loose cannon, General George S. Patton.

Patton (the movie) shows us Patton the man as an enigma. He was brilliant as a military strategist and might have ended WWII earlier, if it wasn't for political interference from the Brits who wanted General Montgomery aka 'Monty' to have the high profile assignments. Patton's methodology was to hit hard and move fast.

Patton believed he was reincarnated from past great warriors of ancient times. Which isn't so bad, heck maybe he had lived as a sandaled solider in ancient Carthage. But he also was a blatant racist and hated the Jewish people (among others) and loathed the survivors of the concentration camps that he helped liberate. Reportedly he gave referential treatment to capture SS Nazis and seemed to subscribe to racial superiority ideas.

But I don't judge a movie by what someone did or didn't do. It was a good movie. Scott was good as the ultra colorful Patton and the opening monologue in front of a giant U.S. flag is one helluva an effective opening.

++

Battleground
(William Wellman 1949)

I seen that this was directed by William Wellman and decided to give it a watch. The film is based on actual events from the Battle of the Bulge which was the huge German counter attack where they tried to breakout through the Allied lines towards the end of WWII. The battle took place in the dead of winter in the Arddenes forest where conditions were cold and foggy making enemy identification hard. It's a matter of historical record that the U.S. 101 Airborne was ordered to hold a strategic hill. They became encircled by the Germans and ran low on ammo, food and medical supplies as they desperately waited for relief to come in.

The film starts off semi light with the men joking with each other in a small town in France. But don't think this is a light comic movie because as soon as they get to the battle in the Ardennes forest the situation becomes grim and they begin to be killed. Some of the U.S. soldiers think about going AWOL. The film looks at the morale and psychological effects of being in such a tough situation. The Battle of the Bulge was one of the toughest battles that allied and axis soldiers faced.

Battle of Britain (1969)

This movie contains one of the best aerial war scenes I've seen. From the air and from the pilot's viewpoint, we see a bombing on an RAF air base field. The scope of that shot is nothing short of amazing. We see the entire air field, acres of it and there's thick black smoke billowing from previous bomb drops. The smoke covers most of the area and climbs 100 feet or more into the sky with buildings burning. Then we see actual explosions on the ground as more bombs are dropped. All of this is from the perspective of a German Luftwaffe pilot and is filmed from an actual aircraft.

Battle of Britain is a huge budget movie that assembled a large number of actual WWII aircraft to be used in the movie and tells the story of Britain's heroic challenge of the German's Luftwaffe air force. The aerial scenes alone are nothing short of amazing. I was equally impressed with the movie's historical details. After I read IMDB's trivia section I realized lots of the details and events in the movie actual did happen as shown with a few inconsistencies. I didn't connect to the film's story as much as I would've liked. There's so much going on in the story that one needs to go into the film with an understand and appreciation for what happened during the battle of Britain. With a huge all star cast and a lot of characters there's just not a lot of time for them to develop their stories.

+

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

I use to love this when I was a kid so I saved it for pizza night thinking it would be great fun. It wasn't all that fun. They'd have a challenge like the storm at the sea or climbing the cliff then do it...then a big block of uninspired dialogues with several of the characters giving monologues. Not a well written movie. I'm a big fan of Gregory Peck but he was just going through the motions here. I guess the big draw are the two big German guns high up a cliff cave in Navarone, now that looked pretty cool. But the rest was just OK.

Saw parts of this one on TCM today - I only wish I'd had the time to finish watching it.
Not a combat movie, but one about the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia called Hangmen Also Die! (1943)

Directed by Fritz Lang, this WWII movie was filled with intrigue, thrills & suspense.
Seemed like an intense film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035966...ngman%2520also

Saw parts of this one on TCM today - I only wish I'd had the time to finish watching it.
Not a combat movie, but one about the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia called Hangmen Also Die! (1943)

Directed by Fritz Lang, this WWII movie was filled with intrigue, thrills & suspense.
Seemed like an intense film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035966...ngman%2520also
Oh that sounds good. I haven't seen it but I do have the movie. I see it's also rated highly at IMDB 7.4 not too shabby. I also see it has Brian Donlevy, Walter Brennan & Anna Lee. I'm not familiar with Anna Lee, what was she like?

Oh that sounds good. I haven't seen it but I do have the movie. I see it's also rated highly at IMDB 7.4 not too shabby. I also see it has Brian Donlevy, Walter Brennan & Anna Lee. I'm not familiar with Anna Lee, what was she like?
What was she like? Pretty cute, I'd say.

But there's not much time to admire her beauty as the story is one of war. She plays the daughter of a character played by Walter Brennen who is taken hostage. (Hundreds of Czechs are held hostage to try to coerce the populace into giving up the assassin who killed a barbaric Nazi executioner.)

I was surprised to see Walter Brennen in this role and waited to hear him speak... although his voice is as recognizable as always, his countryfied accent is more subdued, and his acting is so good that he's just as convincing as a Czeck as everybody else. Everyone seems to speak with their natural accent - although there are a few international actors whose natural accents fit their role (such as some of those playing Nazis).

As said, I missed both the beginning & end of this movie. But I was locked in for the parts I did see. (I hope maybe TCM put it in their On Demand menu - but usually when I hope for that it doesn't happen.)

P.S. Don't tell anyone... but there's a mole in the underground resistance!