The Cooking Thread

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Damnit. I forgot to put the frozen chicken in the fridge last night to thaw. I was going to make dumplins' tonight. >=\

It kind of sucks growing up around here. We learn to either boil or fry. If not that, then it's the BBQ or smoker. We never question it as kids, but as we all get older it starts to slowly click, just what we've done to ourselves. I probably have another good 10 years or so before my heart just gives up on me

I'm randomly posting this here because like Richard Gere, I have no where else to go.

Damnit. I forgot to put the frozen chicken in the fridge last night to thaw. I was going to make dumplins' tonight. >=\

It kind of sucks growing up around here. We learn to either boil or fry. If not that, then it's the BBQ or smoker. We never question it as kids, but as we all get older it starts to slowly click, just what we've done to ourselves. I probably have another good 10 years or so before my heart just gives up on me

I'm randomly posting this here because like Richard Gere, I have no where else to go.
I've never had boiled chicken, is it nice?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Poached chicken is lovely. Very tender. I only ever poach. Boiling only ever with carcasses to make stock.

Well its a mean of preparation. Boil the whole thing then shred the meat for use in whatever. Strain the remaining broth for soup, dumplings, other recipes, or freezing.

Poached chicken is lovely. Very tender. I only ever poach. Boiling only ever with carcasses to make stock.
Sounds nice😋. I usually roast a chicken or buy one ready roasted.

I BBQ'd a whole chook on the weekend. So good. Beer can chicken in the bbq is also really tender. Drink half a can of beer, drop in garlic chili ginger and green onion, salt and pepper the chicken, stick bum over can, cook in covered bbq. Super tender.

@Dannii - I recommend this as a poached chicken. Glorious

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/h...e-chicken-rice

If you think the sauces will be a bit time consuming (they're not but sometimes people cant be bothered with all of that after a hard day) you should be able to get the condiments at an asiamart.

These are so good. Either in a tomato sauce like in the first picture or in a vinegar sauce like in the second picture.

Well its a mean of preparation. Boil the whole thing then shred the meat for use in whatever. Strain the remaining broth for soup, dumplings, other recipes, or freezing.
Think i'll give that a go, apart from the occasional cheeseburger i don't really eat meat, chicken is poultry so i eat that

These are so good. Either in a tomato sauce like in the first picture or in a vinegar sauce like in the second picture.

I made cabbage rolls recently. Lovely. Nice photos, too.

I BBQ'd a whole chook on the weekend. So good. Beer can chicken in the bbq is also really tender. Drink half a can of beer, drop in garlic chili ginger and green onion, salt and pepper the chicken, stick bum over can, cook in covered bbq. Super tender.
Chook is an awesome name for a chicken, i'm gonna use that here!

Go for your life.

This thread is devouring my mouthgasm thread so posting this here. Last night's dinner

Go for your life.

This thread is devouring my mouthgasm thread so posting this here. Last night's dinner

Mmmmmmm that looks tasty! I love pasta/noodles. 😋

OMG fresh pesto is soooo good, Dannii. I ws lucky to find some basil.

Think i'll give that a go, apart from the occasional cheeseburger i don't really eat meat, chicken is poultry so i eat that

Neat. It's all pretty straight-forward. Just get a good sized stock pot, fill with water, chop a large onion into 1/4s, maybe cut a stalk of celery into finger-sized lengths, cut a carrot or two in half (all just to help flavor the broth as it cooks), add a good bit of salt and black pepper (you're flavoring a whole chicken submerged in a LOT of water, so it will take more than you think); then just place a whole fresh unfrozen chicken into the water. Be sure you have removed any prepackaged parts that may still be in the cavity such as the neck, or bag of innards. Either toss those to the bin or use them however you may already use them if you do.

Bring to a boil for an hour or more. For us country folk, we usually boil it until it starts to fall apart, then strain out the bits that fell off. Place all of the chicken into a bowl or platter to cool. Scoop out any remaining veggies or chicken bits, strain the broth from one pot to another to remove all the gritty bits of material that has fallen to the base of the stock pot.

Once the meat has cooled down, you can start pulling meat from the bone. Shred the meat with your fingers into smaller bite-sized bits of varying sizes, tossing the white and dark meat together into a large bowl or platter to keep separate from the icky bits that remain. Be very careful with the two legs as each has a very thin, long, and sharp fibula bone that you can easily snip off and mistakenly add it to your meat collection. This bone is about the size of a toothpick and runs parallel to the leg of the chicken. Once cooked it becomes very brittle, so be extra cautious when deboning the legs. There are two to look out for.

Once I have my dark and white meat all shredded, mixed, and cooled, I will portion the meat into smaller freezer bags for freezing. Same with the now-cooled broth. I usually grab a measuring cup to partially fill several quart-sized (or larger) freezer bags for freezing.

Usually when I go through all of this effort, I'll just use it all for a large pot of chicken and dumplings. But you can just stock up and pull it from your freezer as you need it for whatever recipe you may have.

It is a messy process. Chicken bits and fat everywhere. So don't go in blind Be ready for a shower after.

When cooking for family events, half of my broth will go to dumplings, while the other half will go to a cornbread-based dressing. Of course chicken broth is used in most anything you can think of so do with it as you will. Mostly this boiled chicken thing is just preparation to be part of some other dish, but it's convenient to have stock of broth and meat for several different meals when you need it. I'm not cooking it to just eat boiled chicken by itself. You could always use the meat as a beef substitute.

blah. it's the end of a work day, so I'm just rambling. Have fun making a mess if you ever try it

Go for your life.

recipe please?

I would leave any gizzards or neck in, ynwtf. And if you have room in your freeze I would keep the stock to let it brew as a master stock for future poaching. Really builds up a depth of flavour.

If Mr D doesnt suggest pizza for tonght's dinner I have a craving for mushrooms. I love scallopini.

http://everydaygourmet.tv/recipe/vea...oms-and-cream/

IMHO this is the best ever. From Mollie Katzen's Moosewood recipe book. I can eat this with a spoon. I personally dont like pine nuts because they give me pine mouth, so I go for ground almonds. This isnt an oil slick like a lot of jarred pestos. There's also jazzy version which is equally as stunning. I love Mollie.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/18925/pesto.html

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...1/rec0167.html

She also has a yoghurt spinach pasta sauce but I'll have to type it up for you shortly. Cnt find on the net. It's stunning.

Neat. It's all pretty straight-forward. Just get a good sized stock pot, fill with water, chop a large onion into 1/4s, maybe cut a stalk of celery into finger-sized lengths, cut a carrot or two in half (all just to help flavor the broth as it cooks), add a good bit of salt and black pepper (you're flavoring a whole chicken submerged in a LOT of water, so it will take more than you think); then just place a whole fresh unfrozen chicken into the water. Be sure you have removed any prepackaged parts that may still be in the cavity such as the neck, or bag of innards. Either toss those to the bin or use them however you may already use them if you do.

Bring to a boil for an hour or more. For us country folk, we usually boil it until it starts to fall apart, then strain out the bits that fell off. Place all of the chicken into a bowl or platter to cool. Scoop out any remaining veggies or chicken bits, strain the broth from one pot to another to remove all the gritty bits of material that has fallen to the base of the stock pot.

Once the meat has cooled down, you can start pulling meat from the bone. Shred the meat with your fingers into smaller bite-sized bits of varying sizes, tossing the white and dark meat together into a large bowl or platter to keep separate from the icky bits that remain. Be very careful with the two legs as each has a very thin, long, and sharp fibula bone that you can easily snip off and mistakenly add it to your meat collection. This bone is about the size of a toothpick and runs parallel to the leg of the chicken. Once cooked it becomes very brittle, so be extra cautious when deboning the legs. There are two to look out for.

Once I have my dark and white meat all shredded, mixed, and cooled, I will portion the meat into smaller freezer bags for freezing. Same with the now-cooled broth. I usually grab a measuring cup to partially fill several quart-sized (or larger) freezer bags for freezing.

Usually when I go through all of this effort, I'll just use it all for a large pot of chicken and dumplings. But you can just stock up and pull it from your freezer as you need it for whatever recipe you may have.

It is a messy process. Chicken bits and fat everywhere. So don't go in blind Be ready for a shower after.

When cooking for family events, half of my broth will go to dumplings, while the other half will go to a cornbread-based dressing. Of course chicken broth is used in most anything you can think of so do with it as you will. Mostly this boiled chicken thing is just preparation to be part of some other dish, but it's convenient to have stock of broth and meat for several different meals when you need it. I'm not cooking it to just eat boiled chicken by itself. You could always use the meat as a beef substitute.

blah. it's the end of a work day, so I'm just rambling. Have fun making a mess if you ever try it
I'll definitely give it a go, i shall bring home a pair of surgical gloves from work so i don't get greasy hands, roast chicken is nice but rather boring, i'll be very careful of that long thin bone

I'll definitely give it a go, i shall bring home a pair of surgical gloves from work so i don't get greasy hands, roast chicken is nice but rather boring, i'll be very careful of that long thin bone
Oh yes. The chicken fat lady on Erin Brokovich. I cannot handle chicken grease.

Another stock to make but wait until winter as it takes several hours but mkes your house cosy, is for Pho (vietnamese noodle soup).

OK will make a coffee then type up the spinach pasta sauce (also good on chicken, fish, steak, veggies, whatever you like)