What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

The Other Boleyn Girl 4/5

Glad this is getting good reviews. I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Alvin and the Chipmunks, it's for kids but it makes me laugh

Alvin and the chipmunks, it's for kids but it makes me laugh

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
Sweeny Todd was the last movie I saw in theater and it was fantastic.

This was not a boating accident
Diary of the Dead was my last. And being a Romero fan, was severely let down by this one.

No Country For Old Men. Even though i have the DVD now, i was out with my dad and we saw it was still playing at the theater near us so we decided why not go see it again! Both my dad and i agree that it's one of the best movies we've ever seen, and it's even better on the big screen!

So lets see that makes it 5 times in theaters now and 3 on DVD

.....doesn't know what to put here!
Jumper, a while ago now

No Country For Old Men, today.

And boy, could Javier Bardem be one of the most evil villians of movie history?
He's disturbingly calm.
And can someone please explain to me what that air compressor thing is?

Originally Posted by witts
No Country For Old Men.
And can someone please explain to me what that air compressor thing is?
"Point bein', even in the contest between man and steer, the issue's not certain."

Tommy Lee's character describes it when talking to Carla Jean in the diner in Odessa. It's a tool for killing cattle.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Caught a viewing of Sweeney Todd at the dollar movies. Sure am glad I seen it on the big screen!

Fat chicks need love too
The last movie I saw was Jumper

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971 - Robert Altman)

Screening here in Portland last night; one of Bob Altman's best films. Subverts the Western genre in such an interesting way and grounds it all in such a palpable, muddy, unglamorous reality. Unglamorous even though it stars two of the prettiest human beings to ever grace a movie screen in the title roles (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie). The use of the Leonard Cohen on the soundtrack was such a bold idea and it is a magical combination: it really does seem as if those songs were written for the movie and the time period. Beautiful stuff.

Seeing it in the cinema, if forced to pinpoint the biggest joys they are probably Vilmos Zsigmond's still amazing cinematography and the town itself. Vilmos has been nominated for four Oscars and won one (for Close Encounters of the Third Kind), but embarrassingly he wasn't even nominated for his work on McCabe. It was this movie where he pioneered a "pre-flashing" technique, exposing the film to levels of light before it was used, the result being that faded almost sepia-like misting and coloring that still retains a high contrast. McCabe & Mrs. Miller doesn't look like any movie before it.

BEATTY, ZSIGMOND and ALTMAN

And that town of Presbyterian Church, what a far cry from the usual Western town. Set in the Pacific Northwest and filmed in the forest along the coast of British Columbia north of Vancouver, the attention to detail is simply incredible. It really does seem as if a time machine has gone back and made a documentary of this small mining town going up. Gives a sense of place as well as any movie ever made. You can practically feel the cold and smell the timber. The only flaw on the technical side of things that is still a little distracting (and I've seen this movie a few dozen times) is that they ran into some bad luck weather wise and were forced to fake much of the snowfall for the climactic showdown as process shots and you can't help but notice - especially on the big screen. But it's a minor gripe in a movie I find otherwise damn near perfect.

As much as a technical marvel as it is, McCabe is also a very emotionally engaging story. John McCabe and Constance Miller are characters you care about almost instantly. They are flawed and doomed, but aren't most human beings? As pessimistic as it may seem on first flush, I find it very beautiful and not the downer the way it ends signals it probably should be. Haunting, but not exactly sad. And I still am awed by the guts Altman had to make the finale almost silent for long stretches of "action". Right when a traditional score or even a radical Ennio Morricone score would be blasting away, Altman chooses silence. It works really well for me. And that reminds me of something else that was wonderful about last night: the Portland, Oregon audience. Not only was the theater more than half full (at least a hundred and fifty people in the auditorium) to see a movie that is coming up on forty-years-old on a Saturday night in March, but during that largely silent final sequence the audience was silent too! Damn, I do love this town.

I think seeing any Robert Altman film projected on a big screen is probably a good idea, even the bad ones (and he had plenty). But when you've got one of his masterworks...damn.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I saw McCable and Mrs. Miller a looooooong time ago and I disliked it a great deal. But I was very young and stupid. I wonder if I would like it better now?

The last movie I caught in the theatre was In Bruges.

I wanted to write a review for it, but after careful thought, I don't think I could give the film the proper justice it so richly deserves.

The film is a black comedy in the way the black comedy should be. One of the best films of the year so far and one of the best black comedies I've ever seen. Colin Farrell returns to his roots, gets rid of that god-awful Alexander hair, and serves up a scrumptous performance as a pitiful hitman who makes a horrific mistake. The movie is incredibly funny and the cast is simply amazing. Ralph Fiennes is a villian and I've never seen him act this way before. He's hysterical.

This film has disappeared and not found an audience. It's a shame. Please check this film out if you can and if it's gone from a theatre near you, seek it out on DVD. It's worth it. I cannot wait to enjoy it again.

In Bruges -- Grade: A