Top 5 family films?

Tools    

What are your top 5 favourite family films? (I'm going based on imdb's genre categorisation)

Mine:
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
The Ten Commandments (1956)
The Freshman (1925)
The Sound of Music (1965)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Little Fugitive
The Karate Kid
It's a Wonderful Life
Sounder
Kes

It's barely over 80 minutes long, but it's great and it's free... I think many would like this. Said to have influenced The French New Wave

The Black Stallion
1979, Carroll Ballard

The Princess Bride
1987, Rob Reiner

King of the Hill
1993, Steven Soderbergh

Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2016, Taika Waititi

Inside Out
2015, Pete Docter & Ronnie Del Carmen
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Mother's Day (1980)

The Fast and the Furious (2001)

Flowers in the Attic (2014)

Three Men and a Baby (1987)

Wonka (2023)

(Sorry - my "list" develops as they come to me)...

Life With Father (1947)

Yours, Mine, And Ours (1968)

I don't know (but I feel) if you've listed these two just because there's a lot of family members in these two, but they are good, in varying degrees. Life With Father is a great, old-fashioned comedy, and it's one of William Powell's finest films. Yours, Mine, and Ours is good, not great, but Lucille Ball pulls off a very great performance, particularly ina scene with two of her step-sons spiking her drink and getting her slobbering drunk. She doesn't play it like her Lucy days. Very surprised to see how she pulled that scene off. As for both of the films, I like seeing actors who would go on to be famous in their own right in other projects in these older films.

In Life With Father, the second-oldest son is played by Martin Milner, who would go on to fame in the TV-series Adam-12 He's back row, far right, in the pic you provided. Here he is on the TV show:

In Yours, Mine, and Ours, the pic you have had Tim Matheson of Animal House fame in the very back row, top left, in uniform and really young. And bottow, center, holding the little girl is Morgan Brittany, who went on to be in the famous Dallas TV series. Here they are, respectively:

Here are a couple of "family movies" that are actually family movies, if you know what I mean:

Spencer's Mountain which has James McArthur (Hawaii 5-O) and Veronica Cartwright, (Alien), two future stars, in the cast shown below the movie pic

With Six You Get Eggroll featuring future star Barbara Hershey

Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2016, Taika Waititi
I think that this is a great modern family film.

My own list would be:
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Spirited Away
Iron Giant
Kubo and the Two Strings

On the older end of the genre: Stardust, Mitchells vs the Machines, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Last Unicorn, The Dark Crystal, A Monster Calls, Children of Heaven, Where is the Friend's House?, Kirikou and the Sorceress

Note: I love the movie Advantageous, but I think of it as being way too intense to fall under the "family" label.

But which massacre are we talking?

I don't know (but I feel) if you've listed these two just because there's a lot of family members in these two, but they are good, in varying degrees.
I listed them because I do like them both as family movies about families.

I kind of interpreted this thread as movies about families as opposed to any movies appropriate for family viewing (as the 2nd category would be extensive).

Spencer's Mountain is another good one (the inspiration for TV's The Waltons).
With Six You Get Eggroll was a great "blended family" comedy that (along with Yours, Mine and Ours) was a direct inspiration for The Brady Bunch.

I have to share my discovery of Life With Father - it was many decades ago...

I was working at a restaurant (probably on a Sunday) and it was one of the few times I asked to go home sick. It was in the summer and hot out, yet I had chills & a fever - one of those summertime colds or flus.

I came home - lived in the parents' house at the time - turned on the TV, wrapped up in a blanket and got on the couch. We didn't have a remote control and I felt too sick to get up and change the channel to see what else was on. So I was stuck watching what appeared to be some boring, old, Victorian-age drama.

Before I knew it I was laying there smiling in my delirium, finding the movie much funnier than it actually was, but I was quickly taking interest and not concentrating on how bad I felt.

By the end of the movie I was sitting up, sipping tea and feeling much better.
Now, this might have had something to do with aspirin or acetaminophen, but I attribute it to William Powell, a young Elizabeth Taylor in a tight petticoat, and the magic of movies!