The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

It's finally here, everyone! The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Preliminary Thread! As you can see, I named it after a quote from Full Metal Jacket. The name was gonna be different, but a Vietnamese friend really didn't want me naming it "Me So Horny."

This is my first ever hosting job on Movieforums, and I plan to do as good of a job as possible. However, there will be a War Movies Group Watch that I won't be very active in, so I'm asking SpelingError to do the job. Once that thread is up and running I'll link it here.

YOU KNOW DA ROOLZ
  • Submit a list of your top 25 war movies ranked from #1-#25. Top to bottom, best to worst, etc.
  • Only movies that are tagged as a war movie on one of these three websites: Imdb, Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes, can be voted for. Each top 25 will be monitored for ineligible films, and only the lists filled with eligible movies will be counted, so BE CAREFUL. If you have an ineligible movie, I'll PM you about a replacement ballot.
  • Scoring for each movie will, like usual, be 1-25 points with the highest amount (25) going to your #1, and the second highest (24) going to your #2 all the way down to the lowest (1) going to your number 25. In other words, it's like some games I played with myself as a kid.
  • If you submit less that 25 films on your ballot, the highest amount of points will match the number of films. I.e. on a ten-film list, your #1 will get ten points. But do not submit less than 10 entries.
  • No TV shows or mini-series like Band of Brothers. TV movies, however, are fine, as well as short films.
  • The movies in any given series gotta be individualized. So don't vote for the entire Human Condition trilogy or the War and Peace series from the 60's in one entry. You can still have all three or four separate on your ballot. Some will vote for either/or and have only seen one or more parts of the War and Peace series, so I'm going to count them as individualized.
  • Don't reveal your ballot to the public!
  • Don't send more than one list. Treat your lists like this quote from The Examination by Malcolm Bosse: “My first draft is my final draft.” I'm not making edits.
  • The deadline for submitting your ballots will be extended to July 26th so that you can have enough time to see Oppenheimer in theaters!
  • One more thing: You gotta be a MoFo user here for a month before you're allowed to vote so we can weed out spam accounts.
Further eligibility rules can be debated politely, but it remains the host's decision in the end. So think about your votes before just posting them as soon as possible.

Speaking of new users, for those of you not in the know, this is where you submit your ballot: https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php

HOW TO USE IT
  • The human who's name is wri- I mean, type the movie's name and select it from the search list.
  • If the name ain't showin', which happens, clink on that link on the upper right that says "movie you want not showing up" and copy/paste that same movie's IMDb or TMDb address. It'll show.
  • Double check the names and years of your ballots entries as much as possible.
  • You can submit up to 25 entries, but don't submit any less than ten.
  • After submitting the ballot, details concerning the death of- I mean, you'll get a copy of the ballot in you message box.
This might be a war movie thread, but this is in fact a game. So play... nice. No nasty comments, no rulebreaking and no ball-kicking. So, without further ado, have fun with your war games, kiddies!

The Voters:

Allaby
Beelzebubble
Chypmunk
Cobpyth
Dadgumblah
Deschain
Diehl40
Donniedarko
Holden Pike
John-Connor
John W Constantine
Kaplan
Kgaard
Matt72582
Miss Vicky
MovieFan1988
Mrblond
PHOENIX74
Seanc
SpelingError
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo
Wigram

Awesome thanks for hosting, Keyser.

Regarding The Human Condition Trilogy, I hereby propose that we use the first film as representative of the entire trilogy. What do you all think?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Glad to start this....One question about the rules: You say,
"Only movies that are tagged as a war movie on these thee websites: Imdb, Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes, can be voted for."
Does that mean a movie has to be tagged war on all three of those sites....or....only needs to be tagged war on 1 of those sites?

Awesome thanks for hosting, Keyser.

Regarding The Human Condition Trilogy, I hereby propose that we use the first film as representative of the entire trilogy. What do you all think?
Totally agree. I was going to ask how people were going to approach this.

Totally agree. I was going to ask how people were going to approach this.
The three films can be listed separately, and not as a whole. The same goes for the four War and Peace movies, since some of us have only seen parts and may not be able to see the rest.

Glad to start this....One question about the rules: You say, Does that mean a movie has to be tagged war on all three of those sites....or....only needs to be tagged war on 1 of those sites?
Just one of them. I'll fix it when I have computer access again.

Small tech thing: ballot submissions can't be accepted quite yet. I need to do a little tech work for that, but it won't be much. But some of you who like to submit immediately might have to wait a few days, tops.

Can Charlie's Angels:Full Throttle still be eligible despite this not being noir? I mean, tbf, it's more of a war film than it is noir.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Deadline July 11th?!?! Shouldn't this be June 11th?

Deadline July 11th?!?! Shouldn't this be June 11th?
I decided to increase the time by one month. That way those who are busier can have some extra time, too.

Going based on imdb's genre tags, I have seen 190 war films. I have at least 21 other war films on dvd or blu ray that I have not seen yet.

I wonder what director will make the most appearances on the war countdown? My prediction would be Kubrick.
Dr. Strangelove will probably be either #1 or #2

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The three films can be listed separately, and not as a whole. The same goes for the four War and Peace movies, since some of us have only seen parts and may not be able to see the rest.
Totally get that. I think me and Harry are talking about a wee bit of collusion.

Going based on imdb's genre tags, I have seen 190 war films. I have at least 21 other war films on dvd or blu ray that I have not seen yet.
I see you don't have Forbidden Games crossed off the Ebert list. You might like that one.

I see you don't have Forbidden Games crossed off the Ebert list. You might like that one.
Yeah, it sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.