Post-2010s list, what should the next countdown be?

Tools    

Musicals/Noir (or Crime)/War make sense to me. Sports feels more limited to me, but maybe that's because I'm not as interested in the (sub-)genre. Romance would work better for me.

In the Horror countdown the eligibility rule was: if the movie was tagged Horror anywhere on the IMDB page then the movie was eligible. So yes that included Plot Summary tags & Genre tags, as long as it's tagged somewhere on the IMDB page.

Actual the Horror countdown started out with the host deciding what was and wasn't horror...which caused a big fight that ended only when the host agreed to use Horror tags on IMDB pages. I think the tag idea solves a lot of hassles for the host and stops a lot of potential fights.
Sorry to barge in since your directly talking to John Connor but notice how there was
some movies on there that didn't even belong only because it goes with the element of horror or because there's a plot keyword tag that says it's horror O_O.

Heck if we re did the horror countdown, I wouldn't mind since I missed the last one, I think the countdown needed more care imo.

Yea there's gonna be some fights when restrictions are lifted but seriously if some schmuck wants to pass in a ballot of a movie that's clearly a thriller movie and not even close to horror then it should not be eligible. If everyone wants to move on from Horror I understand too.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Sorry to barge in since your directly talking to John Connor but notice how there was
some movies on there that didn't even belong only because it goes with the element of horror or because there's a plot keyword tag that says it's horror O_O.
Which films exactly don't belong? If anything, I think there are some glaring omissions that were excluded due to the rigid eligibility parameters.

Also bear in mind that Citizen is talking about the 2019 Horror List, not the original one. There are two MoFo Horror Lists (and we are so not redoing it again anytime soon).

Which films exactly don't belong? If anything, I think if anything there are some glaring omissions that were excluded due to the rigid eligibility parameters.

Also bear in mind that Citizen is talking about the 2019 Horror List, not the original one. There are two MoFo Horror Lists (and we are so not redoing it again anytime soon).
Movies like Perfect Blue when IMDB has it under Animation, Crime and Drama, Letterboxd had it under Thriller and Animation.

There were a few other movies but since IMDB has the horror tag, I guess we can give them a pass.

That's the list that I'm talking about, the 2019 one.

Movies like Perfect Blue when IMDB has it under Animation, Crime and Drama, Letterboxd had it under Thriller and Animation.

There were a few other movies but since IMDB has the horror tag, I guess we can give them a pass.

That's the list that I'm talking about, the 2019 one.
Not sure what happened there, perhaps the tags have been edited since 2019? The Horror Countdown Voting thread states "If the movie is tagged HORROR on IMDb, it is eligible for vote on the countdown. If the movie is not tagged HORROR on IMDB, it is not eligible for vote."

Though I have to say, I agree with the inclusion of Perfect Blue and probably voted for it.

Not sure what happened there, perhaps the tags have been edited since 2019? The Horror Countdown Voting thread states "If the movie is tagged HORROR on IMDb, it is eligible for vote on the countdown. If the movie is not tagged HORROR on IMDB, it is not eligible for vote."

Though I have to say, I agree with the inclusion of Perfect Blue and probably voted for it.
They must of been edited, I assume, the site does that sometimes.

Heck if we re did the horror countdown, I wouldn't mind since I missed the last one, I think the countdown needed more care imo.

Yea there's gonna be some fights when restrictions are lifted but seriously if some schmuck wants to pass in a ballot of a movie that's clearly a thriller movie and not even close to horror then it should not be eligible. If everyone wants to move on from Horror I understand too.
Like Miss Vicky said I was referring to the second Horror countdown. But regardless of the countdown, when it comes to genre countdowns some people will find movies they don't think belong, that's a given.

What I was trying to say is the best method for determining movie qualification for a genre countdown is the method that causes the least amount of problems. Of course that decision is up to the host and Yoda.

I know there are a lot of sequels, but most of them are terrible. Absolutely everybody complains about how prevalent and generally awful and uninspired sequels are. Why on earth would we want to make a list celebrating and cataloging incessant, cash-grabbing mediocrity?!? Just to get to the ten or fifteen that don't suck and everybody already knows and agrees on?

Sounds like a good reason to do a list of the good ones....not just the bad ones but also the ugly ones.

While the top ten is fairly obvious (Aliens, Blade Runner 2049, Silence of the Lambs, The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, Toy Story III, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, The Dark Knight, Avengers Endgame, Dawn of the Dead, Goldfinger, and Empire Strikes Back)

I'd like your guys input about doing: smaller and simultaneous countdowns, so that we could produce more 'focused' genre list.

The reasons I mention that is as we drill further down the choices of genres the remaining choices won't have broad support, but are still worthy of being done and will have supporters....and...as people start wanting to redo some of the existing list, that will then reduce the chances that some of these genre countdowns ever get done.

I could see two genre countdowns at the same time, it means more work for Yoda so he would have to green light it. But it would be a way to produce more defined genre countdowns.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I couldn't hate that idea anymore to be honest. I think eventually every genre will be represented if will continue the back and forth pattern. I feel like some lists deserve re-dos but others there seems to be no real reason to do all over again. Let the people as a whole decide what they want.

If you do something smaller I feel it's a slight to the countdown. The action countdown is what comes to my mind right away.

For not wanting to invite a nightmare, another comic book movies countdown?

When I did the original one, it was for movies that were based originally on comics, tabletop novels, graphic novels, comic strips and picture books like Addams Family and Where The Wild Things Are were eligible... but Unbreakable and Super (2010) for example weren't eligible.

Just a thought, considering there's literally hundreds more comic book movies to choose from today than there were back when the original one took place.

The headache would be what constitutes "comic book movie" if you go from the parameters I set on the original list.

Maybe you can consider Medieval movies too. Also, I support noir,best picture (nominations maybe), war, animation or comic reboot and LGBTQ would be nice actually but I don't think I've seen enough so most probably I can't participate

Yeah, I'd rather do best picture nominees than winners.

Yeah, I'd rather do best picture nominees than winners.
Oscar Best Picture Winners and nominees are both extremely well represented in the decade lists. Not sure what the point would be of grouping them together in a MoFo List? The last two decade lists were topped by Best Picture winners (Parasite and No Country for Old Men). Winners The Godfather and Casablanca topped the '70s and '40s lists. Nominees GoodFellas ('90s), 2001: A Space Odyssey ('60s), 12 Angry Men ('50s), and The Wizard of Oz ('30s) took their respective decades. The Shining was the only one of the decade winners not to be a Best Picture nominee. In the just completed 2010s list eleven of the Top Twelve titles were all Best Picture nominees (Blade Runner 2049 the only exception).

For all of the bitching and moaning people do about how awful and irrelevant the Oscars are their choices mirror this site's A LOT. Since they are already widely and routinely recognized why would we need to make a separate list?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Action
Classic noir
Animation reboot

90's reboot for the fall

Action
Classic noir
Animation reboot
90's reboot for the fall
The problem with rebooting already done countdowns is that means other countdowns won't get done and people who have been waiting for countdowns like musical or romance, etc won't get a chance.

If we reboot an already countdown, I suggest to be fair that we also do a genre countdown that hasn't been done at the same time....OR do a reboot countdown during the watch period of a genre countdown.

The problem with rebooting already done countdowns is that means other countdowns won't get done and people who have been waiting for countdowns like musical or romance, etc won't get a chance.

If we reboot an already countdown, I suggest to be fair that we also do a genre countdown that hasn't been done at the same time.
The 90s list is a decade old this year and I noticed only about 20 or so current posters participated in that edition, newer posters different results, but that would be in the fall. This current one could crime or action maybe.

The 90s list is a decade old this year and I noticed only about 20 or so current posters participated in that edition, newer posters different results, but that would be in the fall. This current one could crime or action maybe.
Did you see my last post? That idea would allow reboots and new genre countdowns to be done together.
....If we reboot a countdown, I suggest to be fair that we also do a genre countdown that hasn't been done at the same time....OR do a reboot countdown during the watch period of a genre countdown.