French film? Life of the son of a poor tailor -- in post WW2 France.

Tools    

freedom~empathy~peace
I'm trying to identify this for somebody on Reddit. This one has me beat, so....if you like a challenge folks, here is how they describe the film they've been searching for:

An old black and white film (possibly french) about a young poor immigrant in France.

"My mother saw an old black and white movie in the 2000s in the Brazilian show “Clube do filme” which aired in TV Cultura, which showed a poor immigrant family, possibly Algerian, in post second world war France. The film followed the childhood of the only son of the tailor immigrant family that made men shirts. In the school he was ostracized because of his ethnicity.

One day, one of the rich boys -- out of the blue -- invites him to his house. The poor family cooks a dessert, which my mom thinks is 'baklava'. The son brings the food to the party, where he is humiliated by the other kid. His mother waits outside. The kid sees the servants eating the dessert he brought, hungrily. Outside, he lies to his mom that he had a good time.

Years later, the immigrant kid grows up and becomes rich, possibly a successful writer. He re encounters the ex rich boy, who is now broke. The movie also has a scene where the writer buys a beautiful house that his mother always wanted. The house has a big garden with roses."

I think this may be Mayrig (1991) directed by Henri Verneuil. I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.

Edit: No. It is in fact 888 Rue Paradis (1992), sequel to Mayrig, also Henri Verneuil. The baklava scene takes place 39 minutes into the film.

It begins at minute 32:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jza3-N-94U&t=2000s

Edit 2: 588 Rue Paradis

freedom~empathy~peace
......Rue de Paradis (1992), sequel to Mayrig
Wow, thank you -- I think you are correct (incidentally, it is 588 not 888).
They seemed so certain it was a black and white film they saw....I've been focusing my searches on mostly pre 1960s productions.

I'll report back here once they have confirmed, but I think you've cracked it AgrippinaX!

Wow, thank you -- I think you are correct (incidentally, it is 588 not 888).
They seemed so certain it was a black and white film they saw....I've been focusing my searches on mostly pre 1960s productions.

I'll report back here once they have confirmed, but I think you've cracked it AgrippinaX!
You’re right, of course - 588. I just watched it and it has to be that. Much discussed on French and Spanish forums, and everyone seems to remember the baklava scene because it really is heartbreaking. I think it could be a black-and-white TV, or maybe since it was part of a TV show the quality suffered.

Please do report.

freedom~empathy~peace
....Please do report.

I'm going to mark this one as 'Answered'. I've not received a response from the person looking for this film (on Reddit), and more than a month has passed since I messaged them.

However, in the unlikely event that I do get a reply from them, I'll be sure to come back here and update this thread.

I'm going to mark this one as 'Answered'. I've not received a response from the person looking for this film (on Reddit), and more than a month has passed since I messaged them.

However, in the unlikely event that I do get a reply from them, I'll be sure to come back here and update this thread.
Good plan.