Good movies based on video games?

Tools    

I don't really recall any good movies based on video games for my own movie viewing experience.

What good movies based on video games would you recommend?

More importantly, what video game do you think should be made to a movie?

I know I will absolutely watch this if this will ever be made to a movie:

This might just do nobody any good.
Oh, no. No Shadow of the Colossus movie, please.

morta kombat
"Test your might" xd

At the time I thought that Mortal Kombat was pretty fun, I haven't seen it in forever though.

I personally still enjoy watching Silent Hill, a movie that I have recently rewatched. Some of the gore and atmosphere are on point, but the script and some of the acting are easy to criticize, so I wouldn't try to defend it on it's finer points.

A categorically and critically "good" video game adaptation is possible in my eyes, but I speculate that would it need some incredibly smart talent behind it. Like MGS adapted by the late Mike Nichols kind of smart.

Lord of the rings was a decent adaptation of Skyrim.
Lord of the Rings is a book as is the other films under its umbrella....it wasnt based off a game...

No game makes a good/great film

One of the worst was House of the Dead

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Lord of the Rings is a book as is the other films under its umbrella....it wasnt based off a game...

No game makes a good/great film

Jesus just joking.

Most interesting man in the world
morta kombat
"Test your might" xd
MK: Annihilation ftw!
seen a couple of them ..not bad

true,part II is much better..

"A virus breaks out at a university and people start to become zombies. After 29 days, a team of AMS scientists and soldiers are sent in to deal with the problem. But while they search, things go wrong."

TMNT is pretty good

- I can't think of any "movies" where they are based on video games atm

*I know plenty of movies where the movie and their video games are both good

So we have.. (some have more than one)..some of them are ok and decent but then there re some that are just terrible.

Mortal Kombat
House of the Dead I and II
Tomb Raider (all)
Assassin's Creed
Stay Alive
Warcraft
Street Fighter
Resident Evil (all)
Silent Hill (all)
Doom
Hitman 1 & 2
Max Payne
Prince of Persia
Alone in the Dark
Need for Speed
Super Mario Bros.
In the Name of the King
Double Dragon
Postal
BloodRayne
Wreck It Ralph
Tekken
Tron
King of the Fighters
Scott Pilgram vs The World
The Wizard
Far Cry
Rachet & Clank
Ace Attorney
The Last Starfighter
Dead Space
Fatal Fury
Dante's Inferno:
Dead Space
Sonic The Hedgehog
Wing Commander
DOA: Dead or Alive
Angry Birds

TMNT is from the cartoon, then there was a game..

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles * the cartoon 1987-1996

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES video game) is 1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...NES_video_game)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) is the movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_video_games
Well then lets get technical about

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first appeared in an American comic book published by Mirage Studios in 1984 in Dover, New Hampshire. The concept arose from a humorous drawing sketched out by Eastman during a casual evening of brainstorming and bad television with Laird.[3] Using money from a tax refund, together with a loan from Eastman’s uncle, the young artists self-published a single-issue comic intended to parody four of the most popular comics of the early 1980s: Marvel Comics’ Daredevil and New Mutants, Dave Sim’s Cerebus, and Frank Miller’s Ronin.[4] The TMNT comic book series has been published in various incarnations by various comic book companies since 1984.

There are some awesome Japanese movies and anime based on videogames. Although the reason is that Japanese videogames include the category "visual novels" which are games based mainly on writing so they are closer to novels than Western videogames and make good material for adaptation. Western videogames in general lack enough lore/story material to adapt into a film: how are you supposed to make a movie out of a Sim City game or GTA? Well, usually the movie ends up mediocre at best. I liked Doom though, it was a fun movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So we have.. (some have more than one)..some of them are ok and decent but then there re some that are just terrible.

The Last Starfighter

I know there was a video game in the movie The Last Starfighter, but was it a real video game?

Also, was TRON a video game based on the movie, or a movie based on the video game?

the worst adaptation has to be : street fighter (1994)...damn how good that movie could have been had it been done the right way, it was an amazing cast, raul julia as bizon is just a perfectly casted actor for a great villain, shame how this generic film turned out