Survey on Remakes!

Tools    

On the outside looking in.
Ideally, a remake in general wouldn't be necessarily unless the original had a great premise but 1) executed it poorly (The Fly)...

I'm going to "remake" your proposition before addressing it:

"Ideally, a remake in general wouldn't be necessary unless the original had a great premise but executed it poorly (eg. The Fly)."

While I prefer the Cronenberg version of THE FLY, the original film is a good movie in its own right. If you want to see the premise of THE FLY executed poorly, I suggest you watch CURSE OF THE FLY.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
...so you think real artists plagiarize?
I think that the quote says more about the nature of art than the nature of the artist.

Remakes? 99.9% of all movies shouldn't be remade.
Why so anti-remake? Aren't we all just remaking Shakespeare and the Bible anyways?

I am always torn on remakes. Whenever I hear that they are remaking a great, older movie, I get annoyed and angry about it. I get annoyed if they keep it exactly the same, because I figure "What's the point if you're not going to bring anything new to the table?" But I also hate it when they change so much about it because it's like, "This isn't like the original that I loved so much." But when it comes down to it, I usually end up at least liking the remake.
And I always get excited when a remake comes out and a friend of mine will see it and say, "Now I really want to see the original." That for me can justify remaking a movie, if it can get someone to discover the original.
I apologize. This was a little bit of a rant, but what a great topic!

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Generally I don’t really care for remakes. Reboots are fine since they take the franchise in a different direction but all remakes do tell the same story with different actors and better visuals. From the list the only movies I might be willing to watch remakes of is Star Wars. The prequels are awful and I don’t think the originals are that good either. The dialogue is rather meh and some of the actors aren't all that impressive IMO. Harrison Ford is great and Alec Guinness is better but Mark Hammill is merely adequate and Carrie Fisher is rather dull when she isn’t in that skimpy bikini. A remake with a better cast and some rewrites to get rid the more retarded bits (read: Ewoks taking down blaster wielding Storm Troopers) would be great. Although I pity whoever has to try and top James Earl Jones’ Vader voice.

It’s not on the list but I wouldn’t mind seeing a remake of Eragon if it followed the source material more closely. The first one was so dull it might as well have called Generic Fantasy Movie With A Dragon In It. Other than that I don't see any reason to remake any of the movies on the list. Some of the I haven't seen but the rest are all great as is.

My ten "these should never be remade list" is:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Titanic
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank
Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Jaws (all the crummy sequels have already driven the concept into the ground anyway)
Rocky
Taxi Driver
Scarface

Hey guys, thanks to those who chose 10 films from my previous post. I just need you all to fill out the ACTUAL survey, it's on Survey Monkey, just click on the link below and fill it out, please?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JGXDHZH

You'll remain anonymous.

Thanks a lot guys!

Just finished that. If you could post the results of your survey on her after it's done, that would be awesome!
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Can we make Psycho off-limits? There is no more juice in that lemon.

Casablanca
The Exorcist
Fight Club
The Godfather
Gone with the Wind
Memento
Pulp Fiction
Requiem For A Dream
rocky
The Shawshank Redemption
Taxi Driver
Titanic