I need some 2000s movie recommendations that I will actually watch!

→ in
Tools    

Based on your criteria:

Eclipse Already suggested to you, and I'll second it. Do not be put off by the idea of supernatural elements. This is a really compelling, well-acted drama/romance.

Stardust: This is a fantasy romp that never fails to put a smile on my face. I think the genre might not be your favorite, but it's such a feel-good movie that I feel okay recommending it.

Memories of Murder: Definitely one of my favorite films of this decade. This one would kind of be pushing some of your boundaries. I'd urge you to maybe look at the IMDb Parents' Guide and see if you think the violence would be too much. If you're up for it, though, I think it's amazing.

The Lives of Others: I think you've seen this one, but if not--give it a go!

In the Mood for Love: Gorgeous romance.

Moon: Low-key sci-fi

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: One of my favorite comedies. Gah! Will you love this one or hate it? I don't know. But you'll know about 10 minutes into it if the humor is to your taste or not.

The Illusionist: Period drama/thriller.

The Fall: A visual feast, following the allegorical story of a stunt man who suffers a serious fall.

A Single Man: Period piece about a gay man trying to get along in a less-than-accepting community.

Happy Accidents: A time-travel (or is it?) romantic comedy.

“Broken Flowers” is great, and sadly was a tough cut on my list.

Can’t stress enough about “The OH in Ohio” for a low budget laugh fest. Nice cast that looks like they had fun making it.

I just got through looking up each one of those and most of them while good movies are not my taste. But I will watch Conspiracy (2001), which I put on the 1st post. Thanks!
I'm probably the biggest Conspiracy fan in the face of Earth, so I hope you enjoy it.

@ Thief ...Damn that was a big list! Took awhile to check through it all. Many interesting choices too and some I've even seen. I'll watch:

The Exploding Girl (2009) I like Zoe Kazan and some reviewers said nothing happened in the movie, good! that's the kind of films I like.

From your list I've seen these:
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) a 5 star movie for me! I encourage everyone to watch this and then vote for it

The Lives of Others (1980s Germany, drama)...Seen this in an HoF

Hotel Rwanda
(Rwandan genocide, drama) Another must see 5 star movie as everyone should know what happened when race hate runs amok.

The Pianist (World War 2, drama)....Good movie, I don't remember it well but remember liking it.

Valkyrie (World War 2, thriller, drama)....Liked this one too.

Frost/Nixon
(1977, drama)...I really liked this and I'm sure I even reviewed it.

Munich
(1972, drama, thriller)...a powerful true story, I still think about the scene where the Danish women is executed.

The Man Who Wasn't There
(Coen dark humor, but mostly drama) One of my favorites.

Y Tu Mama Tambien (romance, road trip)...seen this I didn't find it romantic, but it was wonderful shot.

Moulin Rouge!
(musical, visually impressive)...I should love this, I mean Nicole Kidman is smokin hot in this (well not at the end) but the modern music to a period pieces puts me off. I've tried watching this twice and gave up each time.

The Road
(could be put on scifi, post-apocalyptic drama)...damn cold and fine movie, not one I care to revisit, but yeah solid.

Adaptation
(weird, fun, a bit mind****-like)I liked it mostly except for the ending, but I bet if I watched it now I'd like it even more.

Moon (thought-provoking also)...this one rocked!

@Thursday Next ... Still Walking (2008)
@Takoma11 ... Happy Accidents (2000)

Thanks for the choices! I went with these but might watch more of your recommendations later
Great! Hope you like it--I think it is criminally underseen. It's also one of two quirky romantic comedies (the other is Next Stop Wonderland) that Brad Anderson made before going on to make a lot of weirdo/horror stuff that I also mostly dig (but I think you would not).

Great! Hope you like it--I think it is criminally underseen. It's also one of two quirky romantic comedies (the other is Next Stop Wonderland) that Brad Anderson made before going on to make a lot of weirdo/horror stuff that I also mostly dig (but I think you would not).
I've not heard of that one. Have you ever seen Ruby Sparks? I rather liked that one.

I've not heard of that one. Have you ever seen Ruby Sparks? I rather liked that one.
I haven't--just added it to my watchlist. Romance (or romantic-comedy) is not my favorite thing, so I usually need some sort of really good hook to get me into it.

@Miss Vicky I watched Cinderella Man ( Ron Howard 2005) last night and loved it! A big thanks for recommending it.

Cinderella Man was what I call a 'honest film'. By that I mean it let the narrative and the actors move the story & emotions along without milking it and without using over sentimentality. I appreciate that in a film. It was heart felt, but the film and the actors earned those emotions by their performances and not by director trickery (Ron Howard is a good director!)

I don't follow boxing, I don't even watch sports, but for some reason movies about boxers often work well for me...and as this was a period piece and a compelling story of rags to riches to rags to self redemption...the film hit all the important things I love in movies. Good movie!
+

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

I'm kind of the opposite. Movies about boxers almost never work for me, but Ron Howard has a gift for making me care. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the movie stars Russell Crowe.

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

I'm kind of the opposite. Movies about boxers almost never work for me, but Ron Howard has a gift for making me care. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the movie stars Russell Crowe.
I should really watch a lot more of Ron Howard's movies, I've seen some but not enough I guess. I might try to watch Cold Mountain too, my wife says we liked it...so I guess I liked it It's been a long time since I seen it.

Really like Cinderella Man as well. Haven’t seen it since the theater. May need to take a look, I love boxing movies.

Really like Cinderella Man as well. Haven’t seen it since the theater. May need to take a look, I love boxing movies.
Got some recommendations? I'm in the mood to watch a bunch of 2000s movies before countdown starts.

The 00's really had a number of quality musicals, and some top of the line experimental high minded stuff...for you I would recommend these films.

Josie and the Pussycats (2001) (satire, music)
Conspiracy (2001) (historical)

K-Pax (2001) (intellectual)
Undercover Brother (2002) (satire)
Identity (2003) (whodunit)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) (historical epic)
Brand Upon the Brain (2006) (silent epic)

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead (2007) (noir)
Across the Universe (2007) (historical/musical)
I'm Not There (2007) (intellectual, biopic)
La Vie En Rose (2007) (historical/musical)
Music and Lyrics (2007) (period piece/musical)
Walk Hard (2007) (period piece/musical)
Ghost Town (2008) (intellectual, comedy)

The Duchess (2008) (historical)
9 (2009) (intellectual science fiction)
The Young Victoria (2009) (historical)
The Invention of Lying (2009) (intellectual, comedy)

The 00's really had a number of quality musicals, and some top of the line experimental high minded stuff...for you I would recommend these films.

Josie and the Pussycats (2001) (satire, music)
Conspiracy (2001) (historical)
K-Pax (2001) (intellectual)
Undercover Brother (2002) (satire)
Identity (2003) (whodunit)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) (historical epic)
Brand Upon the Brain (2006) (silent epic)
Before the Devil Knows Your Dead (2007) (noir)
Across the Universe (2007) (historical/musical)
I'm Not There (2007) (intellectual, biopic)
La Vie En Rose (2007) (historical/musical)
Music and Lyrics (2007) (period piece/musical)
Walk Hard (2007) (period piece/musical)
Ghost Town (2008) (intellectual, comedy)
The Duchess (2008) (historical)
9 (2009) (intellectual science fiction)
The Young Victoria (2009) (historical)
The Invention of Lying (2009) (intellectual, comedy)
Thanks, some good ones there. I was going to go with K-PAX but I asked my wife which one she wanted to watch as she watches these movies with me, and she said The Young Victoria. So I'll put that on the 1st post for my too watch.

Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch 2005)
@Flicker

I loved this movie! It's my type of movie! I've been meaning to watch this ever since I joined MoFo seven years ago. I've seen several of Jim Jarmusch's films and have been impressed with his film making sense. So, I'm really glad this was recommend as it was right up my alley.

What I loved about this movie are three things:

1, The subject matter...which is about an older, lifelong bachelor (Bill Murray) who gets an anonymous letter saying he has a son from one of his many previous relationships. I particularly liked the idea that he went and met five old girlfriends from 20 years ago and just shows up at their doorstep unannounced, with pink flowers. I mean OMG, I couldn't image doing that! Though I do wonder what would happen if I tried that! Such a cool idea for a movie.

2, The low key approach. The film takes its time and never rushes a scene. It will linger in the moment of an emotion, allowing the viewer to soak in the feel of the scene. It feels a bit like a Kelly Reichardt film (who's my favorite, currently working director). I love this non-Hollywood, non-show off, style of film making.

3, The country-scapes. Jarmusch is known for showing us the real side of city-scapes and in a visually appealing, honest way. Here the story takes place in the country and Jarmusch still manages to film his movie like we are there seeing actual places with cinematic interest.

4, Bill Murray was perfectly cast in this as a subdued, low keyed, older bachelor. His character and subtle performance, matched the feel and story perfectly.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BMzY0MzkzMDUxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjI3OTcxMTI@._V1_FMjpg.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	81040  

Got any more 2000s recs? I wanta watch a boat load before the countdown. Maybe even they will make my ballot! And where is @seanc at?

More 2000s recs from everyone please
Have you seen Zodiac?

I will come up with some. Promise

Have you seen Zodiac?

I will come up with some. Promise
Ha!...but I did watch another 2000s movie last night that was recommend to me, very impressive film! Chilling actually. I'll post about it.