Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Fatherhood (2021) 6/10, I expected much more from this movie

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A terrible Body Horror. Just one, short scene with the baby, really?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Victim of The Night
I will say that his work in The Fanatic is the kind of bad performance that only a very talented person could give. Lots of amazingly wrongheaded, deeply committed choices.
That's an interesting perspective that almost makes me want to watch it. But probably not.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
I still need to see this.
It was a gorgeous film, not really sure how this movie was filmed, a lot of the shots seemed to be natural lighting but I can’t be sure because of all the special effects. Either way, it was a beautiful film and I would highly recommend, I would like to read into how the movie was filmed, it had pretty cool special effects and stunning lighting.

I’m really excited to see what else Alex Garland puts out!

That's an interesting perspective that almost makes me want to watch it. But probably not.
Does the fact that he has a bowl cut and his first line is "I can't talk too long, I gotta poo" change your mind?

I can see that. You don't mess with the ticket buying public's expectations. And I really liked Bruce in this as well. The story needed a respite from all the drama and TBH it needed a truly sympathetic character.
Whoops! We've gotten the wokesters upset. We'll have to be more careful...

Blow Out -
CONTAINS SPOILERS

When I first saw this movie, it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Whether it's because I simply picked up on something I didn't before or the last 4 years changed me that much, I got a lot more out of it this time. I now see it as a powerful story about feeling powerless in the face of evil and corruption. Firstly, how good is John Travolta in this? He's totally convincing as a working-class guy who goes from just wanting to do his job to putting it aside to right a wrong. I also like the always-good Nancy Allen, who on the other hand is more willing or has no choice but to accept that it's just the way things are. The supporting cast are no slouches either, especially John Lithgow, who plays one of most devilish villains. Regardless, it's the look and feel of De Palma's movies that make me want to watch them all. From the repeated use of red and blue to serving as a Philadelphia travelogue to of course that star-spangled finale, there's no mistaking this as a truly American story. As for that finale, aside from being such a nail-biter, what could possibly drive the point home better than a crowd staring in awe at fireworks while a heinous crime is taking place? I realize that coincidences are a tool of the trade for storytelling, but the ones in this movie made me raise an eyebrow a few times. For instance, was Nancy Allen's hairstyle just that popular at the time or was Burke just that lucky at spotting lookalikes? I still consider it one of De Palma's best now, and if anything, it provides comfort - albeit cold - that reckoning with evildoers was just as much of a dilemma 40 years ago as it is now.
Nice commentary. I agree that Travolta gave a strong performance. The story held one's interest, although it took a little long to get to the meat of it. Good cinematography as well.

I prefer the original movie this one was based upon, Antonioni's Blow-Up (1966), but Blow Out was very engaging and watchable. Might even be time for a re-watch..

Does the fact that he has a bowl cut and his first line is "I can't talk too long, I gotta poo" change your mind?
Also worth mentioning that there's a scene where Devon Sawa sings the praises of Limp Bizkit, of whom director Fred Durst was a member.

I actually don't mind the movie. At the very least, Durst, Travolta and Sawa understand what it's like to be a washed up, bottom-feeding loser. The film's caustic (if dumbassed) perspective seems genuine.

Also worth mentioning that there's a scene where Devon Sawa sings the praises of Limp Bizkit, of whom director Fred Durst was a member.

I actually don't mind the movie. At the very least, Durst, Travolta and Sawa understand what it's like to be a washed up, bottom-feeding loser. The film's caustic (if dumbassed) perspective seems genuine.

I don't think "wokeness" has much to do with people's issues with the ending.

Nice commentary. I agree that Travolta gave a strong performance. The story held one's interest, although it took a little long to get to the meat of it. Good cinematography as well.

I prefer the original movie this one was based upon, Antonioni's Blow-Up (1966), but Blow Out was very engaging and watchable. Might even be time for a re-watch..
Thanks! I caught it on TCM, but I think it's on VOD, streaming services, etc.

Just curious, when De Palma's movies were in theaters, was he a big draw like a Nolan or a Spielberg movie? Were they more of a curiosity like David Lynch's work? I've watched 99% of his movies at home.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Captain Fantastic

Love and Compromise can sew any bleeding heart.
~ Me, myself and I

I don't think "wokeness" has much to do with people's issues with the ending.
“I wish the characters were as horrible as they seemed to be and the film followed through on that through an act of violence against a woman”= woke.

To imply otherwise would be to imply a mental simplicity that uses the concept of wokeness as an intellectual boogeyman in which to lump all concepts and ideas one finds disagreeable.

Yeah, but his actual performances, his acting itself, seemed to actually become bad. Like, really not good. How does that happen?
I don't think of Travolta as ever being a "good" actor he's always a leading man. His job in his best work is to tell the story and to make the character actors around him look better.

His best work (A Civil Action, The Generals Daughter, Pulp Fiction, Swordfish, Get Shorty, Taking of Pelham 123 and Face Off) he's not the great actor it's the character actors around him and the story.

Nah, man, JT rules in Saturday Night Fever, and not just on the dance floor. Powerful ****ing presence, tight white suit be damned.

He also out-Cages Cage in Face/Off. He'll always have my respect for that.

Victim of The Night
You and your "woke" business. Can never tell if you're trolling and if so, who.

Victim of The Night
Thanks! I caught it on TCM, but I think it's on VOD, streaming services, etc.

Just curious, when De Palma's movies were in theaters, was he a big draw like a Nolan or a Spielberg movie? Were they more of a curiosity like David Lynch's work? I've watched 99% of his movies at home.
Well, I do remember his name being mentioned in ads and reviews but that was a different time.

Victim of The Night
I don't think of Travolta as ever being a "good" actor he's always a leading man. His job in his best work is to tell the story and to make the character actors around him look better.

His best work (A Civil Action, The Generals Daughter, Pulp Fiction, Swordfish, Get Shorty, Taking of Pelham 123 and Face Off) he's not the great actor it's the character actors around him and the story.
I don't disagree with you... except for Saturday Night Fever, Urban Cowboy, and Blow Out, all of which seem to be the work of a young force to be reckoned with. And then what the hell happens? Suddenly you get all those movies you named. And then all the ones you were kind enough (to him) not to.

Umm, I don't think there's a "we" here. When I said, "I can see that" I meant that I understood the studio was thinking of the bottom line. It in no way makes it right though. And that they specifically wrote in his dismissal at the end of Lina's very real fear as just another hysterical female overreacting makes it even worse. But it most certainly was a crappy ending and Johnnie a despicable character.