Outlaws (man and woman) stop for dinner at parents' home.

Tools    

freedom~empathy~peace
A man and a woman - I believe they are on the run from the law - and the one scene that sticks in my mind is when they stop by at the parents' home of one of the outlaws. They stay for dinner (or lunch) and there was something touching about the attitude of the mother character toward her son. She was quiet and gentle, and seemed unaware of the lifestyle her son had been living. I think the movie was American, and was in colour. Two movies I can rule out are - 'Bonnie and Clyde', and 'Buffalo 66'.

I'm afraid that's all I can recall. Any ideas?
Thanks folks.

It's not exactly what you describe, but could you be thinking of Goodfellas? There's a scene where they're at one of the guys mother's house, and she is very sweet, serves them dinner and shows them a painting she's done. Meanwhile, they ask to borrow a knife, because they've got a guy in the trunk that they have to get rid of, but they don't tell her the real reason.

Also remember that there have been MANY versions of the movie Bonnie and Clyde. Usually in the versions of this movie there is a scene where Bonnie and Clyde visit Bonnie's family, and Bonnie's mother often has an interaction with Bonnie like the one you describe. But of course the main difference in your story is that it is the man's mother, not the woman's.

As with KEVP, B&C is the primary movie I think of that fits the description.

Another one to consider is Ride with the Devil with the rag-tag soldiers coming to the household of friends. Jewel's character is there, so maybe she was the woman in the memory. They welcomed the soldiers and were familiar with them.

freedom~empathy~peace
Thank you for these ideas.

moongirl > I've been able to watch the dinner scene from 'Goodfellas' (youtube has it) and I'm positive it isn't the scene I remember. Good suggestion though!

kevp > I've started looking at some other versions of Bonnie and Clyde,....no luck with that dinner scene so far.

ohforums > I'm 99% certain that 'Ride With The Devil' is not a match. I've been checking it out and it's all very very unfamiliar. I'm pretty sure the movie I'm after is more 'crime' related, and not Civil War. Thanks